Is it worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj413121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot this semester about whether I should apply this summer to just 4-5 schools or wait it out another year to get my grades and experience up.

My stats:

Major: Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.35
Pre-req GPA: Haven't calculated but it is slightly above a 3.0
Hours:
150 - orthopedic outpatient
100 - different orthopedic outpatient
75 - sub-acute rehab
50 - local hospital
I think I might be able to get more hours at a different location this summer

I'm planning on taking the GRE in June but I have taken practice tests and I have gotten above a 300 combined if that means anything.

I am a part of several different clubs at my school and have gotten my recommendations completed. Also, I live in NJ so I would like to stay close, but willing to go to another state.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Although you might not have the most "competitive" application, you have a lot of other aspects of your application that are strong. A lot of bigger schools focus mainly on GPA and GRE when inviting applicants for interviews, so definitely do your research on which schools you'll be applying to. I think if you get your app in right away (seriously like right when it opens up) you will have a pretty good shot at some schools. I barely got in on my second try applying this round and I've learned that it's all about getting your app in early, choosing the right school for you, and fighting for those spots (email, call, talk to people at the school, visit, etc). Show those schools that you want to be there and that you are going to be an awesome PT.

Although you might not have the most "competitive" application, you have a lot of other aspects of your application that are strong. A lot of bigger schools focus mainly on GPA and GRE when inviting applicants for interviews, so definitely do your research on which schools you'll be applying to. I think if you get your app in right away (seriously like right when it opens up) you will have a pretty good shot at some schools. I barely got in on my second try applying this round and I've learned that it's all about getting your app in early, choosing the right school for you, and fighting for those spots (email, call, talk to people at the school, visit, etc). Show those schools that you want to be there and that you are going to be an awesome PT.

In addition to this, I'd suggest to retake those prerequisite classes you have the lowest grade in. Some schools will use the retake grades in their calculations. If you indicate that you are retaking them during the application cycle, they may wait for those grades during the Academic update to re-calculate your GPA and it could help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your pre-req GPA really is only "slightly" above a 3.0, your chances are slim. You will need to apply to some of the more obscure schools that get less applications to stand a good chance.

If you don't end up applying and do take a year off, I would focus more efforts on retaking some pre-reqs that you got less than a B in than I would on observation hours. Targeting schools that will do grade replacement for retakes and retaking enough classes to get your pre-req GPA up to >3.5 will solve a good deal of your problems.

If you apply this coming cycle with your current stats, your chances will be entirely dependent on which schools you apply to. I would go for about 10, but you need to really do your homework and figure out which schools your app stands the best chances at. This involves a lot of factors, many of which you can read about here on SDN by reading through old threads.

Reactions: 1 users
Why wait? Can't you apply and retake a pre-req in the summer to boost your GPA? Maybe you can even take the GRE in the Fall. Your application will still be in pretty early. If you think you can get a decent score, take it now to get your application in early, and retake the GRE later if you want to boost your grade for later applications. There are a lot of schools in the NY NJ area I think. Your grades don't seem so bad that you can't get in anywhere.

Calculate your pre-req GPA right now. It's not a difficult calculation, you need to know this exact number. All too often, I've seen this unknown number turn out to be much lower than expected. No surprises, know your stats.

If you truly are above a 3.0, I would apply strategically to a few schools this year. Choose schools with later application deadlines so you can take a full summer load (or even consider dual enrollment at 2 CC colleges). Then submit your application AFTER the summer grades are processed. It should give you a decent bump up.

Reactions: 1 users
Calculate your pre-req GPA right now. It's not a difficult calculation, you need to know this exact number. All too often, I've seen this unknown number turn out to be much lower than expected. No surprises, know your stats.

If you truly are above a 3.0, I would apply strategically to a few schools this year. Choose schools with later application deadlines so you can take a full summer load (or even consider dual enrollment at 2 CC colleges). Then submit your application AFTER the summer grades are processed. It should give you a decent bump up.

:thumbup: :thumbup: