Is it worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bch18

Reaction score
I graduated in May from undergrad with a GPA of 3.64 and a science GPA of 3.85. I took the DAT in dec. and received an AA of 17, TS 18, RC 18, Bio 19, Orgo,18, Gen Chem 18. I did not do well in the QR section. I have a fully stacked resume and I just recieved a position as a research assistant. Can I get any advice, I do not want to retake the DAT. I'm hoping to get into a school in Mass since that is in-state for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you don’t want to but I think you should definitely retake the DAT. Your GPA is good and if your resume is good then you’ll be shooting yourself in the foot applying with those scores imo

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated in May from undergrad with a GPA of 3.64 and a science GPA of 3.85. I took the DAT in dec. and received an AA of 17, TS 18, RC 18, Bio 19, Orgo,18, Gen Chem 18. I did not do well in the QR section. I have a fully stacked resume and I just recieved a position as a research assistant. Can I get any advice, I do not want to retake the DAT. I'm hoping to get into a school in Mass since that is in-state for me.

What did you get in QR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely second retaking the DAT. Your GPA is great and while forking over a good chunk of money and time to take the DAT over again is a hindrance, I believe it supersedes the lost year that may come from not being accepted this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the QR and what the cutoff for the schools you are applying to are. If the QR (which isn’t important anyway) is under their cutoff, they may not even allow an interview. Your DAT isn’t too bad and I think with your GPA and research assistant title can get you an interview at some places. Competition is stiff though so remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you don’t want to but I think you should definitely retake the DAT. Your GPA is good and if your resume is good then you’ll be shooting yourself in the foot applying with those scores imo
I agree with that.

Depends on the QR and what the cutoff for the schools you are applying to are. If the QR (which isn’t important anyway) is under their cutoff, they may not even allow an interview. Your DAT isn’t too bad and I think with your GPA and research assistant title can get you an interview at some places. Competition is stiff though so remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was told that schools don't care about QR, but at the same time like u said the competition is intense.

I was told that schools don't care about QR, but at the same time like u said the competition is intense.
Your low QR score is the least of your problems. The disparity between your DAT and gpa may bring into question grade inflation.

Your low QR score is the least of your problems. The disparity between your DAT and gpa may bring into question grade inflation.
this was very helpful thank you

Got into a state school with AA 18 and lower GPA than yours slightly though. But my lowest section was 18 and my highest was a 20. So just try and get everything at least 18 or above and you'll get in somewhere. Hopefully you have a state school that is cheap.

You want at least a 19 AA to be competitive, especially if you want to get into schools in a certain region like MA which has some pretty competitive schools. It's true QR is the least important section, but if you can get at the very least a 17 that would look better. Trying to get at least 1 or 2 sections like Bio or RC at a 20 or above would definitely help too.

Don't be discouraged, a lot of people often end up having to retake! I myself took it twice, went from 18AA to 20AA. There are plenty of resources available and super helpful breakdowns on this forum that outline everything you need to do to get a 20+, I know you can do it! Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
You want at least a 19 AA to be competitive, especially if you want to get into schools in a certain region like MA which has some pretty competitive schools. It's true QR is the least important section, but if you can get at the very least a 17 that would look better. Trying to get at least 1 or 2 sections like Bio or RC at a 20 or above would definitely help too.

Don't be discouraged, a lot of people often end up having to retake! I myself took it twice, went from 18AA to 20AA. There are plenty of resources available and super helpful breakdowns on this forum that outline everything you need to do to get a 20+, I know you can do it! Good luck
thank you, when apps open im gonna let them know that i plan on retaking it!

Hi! Your reply has actually really helped me. I was worried about my 19AA/19TS/18PAT/20BIO/19GC/19OC/23RC and 16QR. I’m hoping that 16 doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb, but some schools don’t look at QR at all (Tuft’s admissions director told me that). But still. I’m worried. My GPA is a 3.88 and my sGPA is a 3.76.

Hi! Your reply has actually really helped me. I was worried about my 19AA/19TS/18PAT/20BIO/19GC/19OC/23RC and 16QR. I’m hoping that 16 doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb, but some schools don’t look at QR at all (Tuft’s admissions director told me that). But still. I’m worried. My GPA is a 3.88 and my sGPA is a 3.76.
dont be worried trust me. DM me and ill share my stats with you (yours are better) and i got accepted into multiple dental schools and had to difficult time choosing between them

You have a good GPA, especially a strong science one. You can apply with those scores but it will be an uphill battle like the others have said, so it might be better to retake the DAT while putting extra emphasis on the QR. Good luck, you got this!

xoxo

Reactions: 2 users

:) glad to hear I could be of help. And don't worry too much about your stats because I think your high GPAs should offset your DAT score. And that RC is amazing too, schools look at RC and TS the most! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users