Is it worth going to school to become a dental assistant to better my chances of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umidk505

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated high school and I'm planning on attending a community college before eventually going to a four year university. I was planning on doing the biology major while completing the long certificate program in dental assisting that the school offers. However, when I spoke to an advisor, I was informed that doing that might put me a year and a half behind. Would it be worth it to complete both in order to become a CDA and better my chances at getting into dental school? The school also offers an associate's in dental hygiene, would that be a better option?

Members don't see this ad.

Get great grades and go volunteer. And shadow. If those degrees or whatever are a hassle or set you back time wise, they’re detracting from the big two…gpa and dat. Crush those. And volunteer

Reactions: 8 users
Get great grades and go volunteer. And shadow. If those degrees or whatever are a hassle or set you back time wise, they’re detracting from the big two…gpa and dat. Crush those. And volunteer
That's very helpful thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be time-consuming and also hard to find a job because not a lot of offices want to hire short-term. I think doing a post-bac that guarantees an interview if you meet a certain standard is a better use of your time (If you need it)

This would be extra work you can focus on after you get the dat and gpa in a good place. Also consider working for a dental lab as a technician to learn hands on work if you get enough time.

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on your degree, some offices will even let you assist by training on the job with no assisting certificate depending on the state. GPA/DAT>>>>>everything else

I recently graduated high school and I'm planning on attending a community college before eventually going to a four year university. I was planning on doing the biology major while completing the long certificate program in dental assisting that the school offers. However, when I spoke to an advisor, I was informed that doing that might put me a year and a half behind. Would it be worth it to complete both in order to become a CDA and better my chances at getting into dental school? The school also offers an associate's in dental hygiene, would that be a better option?
no no no!!!! not worth the extra money or time! i am a rising senior in undergrad and currently a DA at a practice, hired purely bc of my shadowing experience and interest in the field, I am not certified. do not waste ur money

Reactions: 3 users
I took the DAT and completed everything before looking for a job as a DA. I had no experience and never went to school for it when I started applying. I applied to 15 dental offices over the span of three weeks. The last place I applied to reached out to me for an interview, which was a private practice. I talked to the Dr and let him know I’m applying to dental school and that he’s only have me for a little over a year if I got accepted and he was okay with that. I’ve worked there for 14 months now and I love it. It was all on the job training which was a lot to take in, but It’s incredible experience and you learn so much. With that said, if you have the time to do it I definitely would.

No

the advisor gave you a heads-up about something. Going for both the biology major and dental assisting might add an extra year and a half to your community college journey. That's a hefty commitment. Now, if being a dentist is your ultimate dream, think about whether the biology major alone checks all the boxes for dental school admission. Some dental schools want specific science courses in your background. On the flip side, there's the associate's degree in dental hygiene. Not a bad option if you're all about being a dental hygienist. They're vital in dental practices, and the job outlook is pretty sweet. But if you're dead set on being a full-fledged dentist, make sure the dental hygiene degree lines up with dental school requirements.It all boils down to your career goals, your love for dentistry, and how much time and effort you want to put into your education. Have another chat with the advisor to see how the courses in the biology major and dental assisting program fit into your dentist's dreams. And hey, don't forget to hit up those dental schools you're eyeing to see what they dig in their applicants.Being a dentist takes dedication, but trust me, it's totally rewarding and fulfilling. So do your research, weigh your options, and don't hesitate to get some guidance from mentors or pros in the dental field.

If your state allows you to work as a dental assistant with on job training, I wouldn’t go to school for it. I review apps and many people have been dental assistant with on job training and it counts all the same