Is it worth including a volunteering activity that was only 10 hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozyk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, I worked five 2-hour shifts at an emergency shelter for women helping update their resumes. I was planning on making it my main volunteer experience because I genuinely did enjoy it. My fifth and final shift, one of the residents told me she got a job that same day that we had worked on her resume together, after searching for months with no luck. It was an amazing experience and I really felt like I had made a difference in her life.

Unfortunately, right after this, they changed the shelter schedule so that volunteering was no longer available on weekends. I’m a nontrad working 9-5 weekdays so I sought out a different opportunity at Habitat for Humanity that would allow me to work evenings and weekends. I fell in love with it and have racked up 250 hours, along with some leadership experience. I’ll have around 400 hours when I apply next year.

I also have ~50 hours at Crisis Text Line, but it wasn’t a good fit (did the job well, hated the virtual format).

I am wondering if it’s worth mentioning the shelter experience (and CTL, at that) when I apply. I keep seeing that it’s quality over quantity, but 10 hours seems insanely low. It just sucks because it really was meaningful for me, just bad timing. It also seems like they got rid of that program completely.

For what it’s worth, I am planning on applying early decision to a very service-oriented school (own a house here, husband works here, aging parents nearby, love their mission). So I want to make sure my interest in serving this specific community is coming across.

Members don't see this ad.

Less than 10? No. Also hard to argue an activity is meaningful after only 10 hours. Talk to your program about early decision before applying. More often than not, ED really puts those not accepted in a bad bind.

Could you work this into a personal statement or a secondary for that school? I'm guessing this was in the general vicinity of the school you are applying to, and it gave you a taste of helping people and getting the rush that comes with a positive outcome. Could you stretch to say that it helped confirm that being pre-med was the right path for you?

Ten hours does seem like a short period but if you have an empty slot, you might include it and add that you had to stop after 5 sessions due to a change in schedule at the shelter that no longer meshed with your availability.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP

Be careful applying early decision without some indication that the school would accept you.

Reactions: 1 user