Is it worth it to spend a summer doing research at a desired program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

software-geek-

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am a current M1 with a 2 month summer research block coming up. I originally planned to stay at my home institution and run multiple different projects during the summer in order to maximize my productivity. However, it was suggested to me that I could consider reaching out to one of the programs I'm very interested in matching at and seeing if I could do a project with them over the summer in order to build connections. The reason I'm so interested in this program is because it is the only program within a 3 hour drive of my hometown, and I would like to be near family during residency. However, it is unfortunately quite a competitive one. There is also another program that is still within driving distance, but a little farther from home although it is a more realistic match for someone from my school. I have thought about the possibility of doing research at one of these programs over the summer and have a few pros and cons on the top of my mind:

Pros:
- Able to build connections with faculty
- Able to be near home during the summer

Cons:
- Since I will likely only be working with one PI on one project at this institution, I will likely be less productive than if I stayed at my home program and worked with multiple faculty on the projects that will carry into the summer. Therefore I'll be sacrificing productivity for the chance to build connections.

My question is would the connections I would potentially build be worth the sacrifice in productivity? I attend a mid-tier school and the program I'm wanting to do research at is quite a reach for most applicants from my school, so I want to maximize my chances in any way possible. I also understand that neurosurgery match in general is extremely competitive and most applicants (myself included) will be lucky to even get in anywhere, let alone a dream (and reach) program. Should I stay at my home program and focus on productivity instead of building connections that may or may not serve me when I apply in 2.5 years?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is would the connections I would potentially build be worth the sacrifice in productivity? I attend a mid-tier school and the program I'm wanting to do research at is quite a reach for most applicants from my school, so I want to maximize my chances in any way possible. I also understand that neurosurgery match in general is extremely competitive and most applicants (myself included) will be lucky to even get in anywhere, let alone a dream (and reach) program. Should I stay at my home program and focus on productivity instead of building connections that may or may not serve me when I apply in 2.5 years?

Thanks in advance.
The bolded is the key for me. Most people match and most people end up at a program they're happy with, but most people can't pick one program and bet on it. This will probably become even more difficult for students from lower-ranked schools as Step 1 is no longer relevant.

Based on your description I'm pretty sure I know the programs you're talking about. If I'm right IMO it would be borderline match suicide to put all your eggs in that program's basket.

Also you're not going to have time to drive 3 hours home during residency, especially if we're talking about the program I'm thinking of, which I know well. IMO proximity to home doesn't matter too much unless it's basically in your hometown.

The bolded is the key for me. Most people match and most people end up at a program they're happy with, but most people can't pick one program and bet on it. This will probably become even more difficult for students from lower-ranked schools as Step 1 is no longer relevant.

Based on your description I'm pretty sure I know the programs you're talking about. If I'm right IMO it would be borderline match suicide to put all your eggs in that program's basket.

Also you're not going to have time to drive 3 hours home during residency, especially if we're talking about the program I'm thinking of, which I know well. IMO proximity to home doesn't matter too much unless it's basically in your hometown.
Thank you for your reply. I could have been more clear; this program is in my hometown, and the other program is a little over 3 hours away. Regardless, your advice still holds true. I will continue to focus on bolstering my application as much as possible and hope for the best after doing aways at my desired programs after 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. I could have been more clear; this program is in my hometown, and the other program is a little over 3 hours away. Regardless, your advice still holds true. I will continue to focus on bolstering my application as much as possible and hope for the best after doing aways at my desired programs after 3rd year.
I see. There's only one program I can think of that you're describing and they are known for taking people with local connections, but I would still never bet on it. If you want to be a neurosurgeon your best bet is to make yourself as strong an overall applicant as possible to maximize your chance at every program you apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
I see. There's only one program I can think of that you're describing and they are known for taking people with local connections, but I would still never bet on it. If you want to be a neurosurgeon your best bet is to make yourself as strong an overall applicant as possible to maximize your chance at every program you apply to.
Thank you for taking the time to give me advice

I would ask the question of productivity. Look into the various labs/researchers that you could reach out to. Is there a lab that has a lot of papers coming out of it (with students in the authorships). Is there a lab where students never seem to be first/second author? I would first find a good research match at one or both programs before deciding on one versus the other. If only one of the two programs seems likely to result in a good level of productivity, I would favor that one regardless of competitiveness/status.

I would ask the question of productivity. Look into the various labs/researchers that you could reach out to. Is there a lab that has a lot of papers coming out of it (with students in the authorships). Is there a lab where students never seem to be first/second author? I would first find a good research match at one or both programs before deciding on one versus the other. If only one of the two programs seems likely to result in a good level of productivity, I would favor that one regardless of competitiveness/status.
Thank you for your response. Do you think this sort of experience would benefit me in terms of building meaningful connections with the program I work with? Especially given that it would only be for roughly 2 months and not as involved as a sub-I.

Thank you for your response. Do you think this sort of experience would benefit me in terms of building meaningful connections with the program I work with? Especially given that it would only be for roughly 2 months and not as involved as a sub-I.
yes