Is it worth it to study??

Started by DrDTOX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrDTOX

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it really worth it to study for the PCAT? I already have a Ph.D. in toxicology and am wanting to go back to pharmacy school. The bottom line is that I just do not have enough time to study for it. I have heard some people just walking in there, taking the exam with no preparation, and then getting in the 90th percentile!
 
Head to your library or bookstore and take a quick scan through the practice materials. If it all seems elementary to you, then dont study.

I probably could have taken the test without studying and still gotten in the 90%, but seeing the cost of retaking the test again both in time and money, I didnt want to take that chance.

Its completely up to you. If you have time to study and retake it later if you dont do as good as you would like then dont study this time.

If you have your PhD that means that your basic classes are years behind you, you might need a little refresher. I dont think it would ruin your time management plan to spend 1-2 hours a few days a week, for three or four weeks before the test. You probably wouldnt need much more than that.
 
DrDTOX said:
Is it really worth it to study for the PCAT? I already have a Ph.D. in toxicology and am wanting to go back to pharmacy school. The bottom line is that I just do not have enough time to study for it. I have heard some people just walking in there, taking the exam with no preparation, and then getting in the 90th percentile!

I agree with the previous reply. Take a look at the material covered on the PCAT (or take the practice test online if you're willing to shell out some money), and if you're able to breeze through them, then you should be fine. I would really suggest looking over the material rather than just going into the test without studying at all since you might find out you need a quick refresher on some subjects.
 
DrDTOX said:
Is it really worth it to study for the PCAT? I already have a Ph.D. in toxicology and am wanting to go back to pharmacy school. The bottom line is that I just do not have enough time to study for it. I have heard some people just walking in there, taking the exam with no preparation, and then getting in the 90th percentile!
The material that is on the PCAT may not be an issue for you, but time management may be. You may have all the knowledge in the world, but if you can't answer every question because you "don't get to it", it really does not matter. My "2 cents", take a few timed practice tests.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
farmskool said:
The material that is on the PCAT may not be an issue for you, but time management may be. You may have all the knowledge in the world, but if you can't answer every question because you "don't get to it", it really does not matter. My "2 cents", take a few timed practice tests.
Ummm..DrDTOX has a PhD. Time management? I think he/she knows how to take a standardized test. There is something to be said about taking that test "cold". A good friend of mine did, and got 84th. Same here and got 82nd. Maybe not exceptional scores, but very good and we both were accepted this year. However, the online practice tests (2 of them) from Harcourt's website are a good representation of the real thing. I say take those and then go in cold. You will ace it. It's not like the MCAT at all.
 
DrDTOX said:
Is it really worth it to study for the PCAT? I already have a Ph.D. in toxicology and am wanting to go back to pharmacy school. The bottom line is that I just do not have enough time to study for it. I have heard some people just walking in there, taking the exam with no preparation, and then getting in the 90th percentile!


I agree with the previous post. Look over a study guide and review the exams. IF it seems easy to you dont bother with a legnthy review. Before I took the exam I spoke with my advisor and he told me not to sweat it b/c the exam is designed for people with only 2-3 years of undergrad work. So, I went to borders for two or three saturdays and looked through the material. My thought was the vocab and reading would be easy (which they are), so i just looked at the math, chem and bio. When I got the test I was glad I didnt waste my time studying.

But then again you have to ask yourself how you test on standardized exams like the GRE.

Good Luck!
 
DrDTOX,
Just to reinforce what you have pretty much already decided... I am about to finish my masters in pharm sci and I took the PCAT in October. You have probably taken many of the classes that I have and more. I did take the MCAT about 3-4 years ago and studied alot for that. But, for the PCAT I only studied 2 days before the test and scored in the 94th percentile. I would say that you will be fine just take a couple days to brush up and go for it.
 
eNOS said:
DrDTOX,
Just to reinforce what you have pretty much already decided... I am about to finish my masters in pharm sci and I took the PCAT in October. You have probably taken many of the classes that I have and more. I did take the MCAT about 3-4 years ago and studied alot for that. But, for the PCAT I only studied 2 days before the test and scored in the 94th percentile. I would say that you will be fine just take a couple days to brush up and go for it.

Thank you all VERY much! It is good to gain other people's perspective on things.
 
This is all "use it or lose it" stuff. If you glance at a chem or molec bio study guide you will instantly see many things you forgot you even learned.

My bigger suspicion here is the the excuse of no time since you're obviously able to comtemplate putting your entire life on hold for at least another 4 years!

You want it? You want it bad? Go get it.