Is it worth it to take a class or two during my gap year(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedlovesbread

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the first of two gap years (I plan to apply next cycle), and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the time and money to take one or two more biology classes before/during the application process. I'm working full time as an outpatient PCT, but my work allows some downtime that I could use to study and some of my local community colleges offer evening classes, so I know I could make it work with my schedule. I didn't take a ton of upper level biology classes during undergrad because I decided somewhat late that I wanted to do medicine and it was tricky enough to fit all the mandatory prereqs into the time I had left. Before I take the plunge and spend the money to enroll, though, I'd like to know people's thoughts: would it help my application to have a few more science classes on my transcript even if they're at a community college and I'm taking them, say, one at a time? Would it look bad if I don't engage in any ongoing education at all and just work and volunteer during these years? If taking some courses would be a good idea, which classes would be the most useful for med school (the local colleges I'm looking at offer human phys, genetics, microbiology, cell bio, and some others)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What are you thinking about taking? Why CC and not University?
I'm leaning toward a human physiology course, but I'm still trying to figure out what would be most beneficial for me and my application. CC seems like a better option financially and in terms of scheduling (almost all of the classes offered at nearby universities are offered only during my work hours and at a pretty steep price), but I do know that the quality at CCs can be a bit iffy, and they don't seem to offer many upper-level courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have completed the common pre-reqs and GPA is not an issue, then there is no need to take more classes. You could take an intro anatomy course for your own benefit if you've never taken one before. If you have not taken cell biology, that could help you for the MCAT if you still have that ahead of you. Schools often require a couple upper-division bio classes, so perhaps take whichever ones are offered.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have completed the common pre-reqs and GPA is not an issue, then there is no need to take more classes. You could take an intro anatomy course for your own benefit if you've never taken one before. If you have not taken cell biology, that could help you for the MCAT if you still have that ahead of you. Schools often require a couple upper-division bio classes, so perhaps take whichever ones are offered.
That makes sense to me. GPA isn't an issue, but if there's an intro anatomy class offered nearby I might jump on it. Thank you!

If GPA isn't really an issue, why not take a non credit course online?

You could also see if there are any free or low cost certificate courses you may want to take (LinkedIn Learning).

Reactions: 1 user