is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

une

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know what you had it debt total and how much you make monthly after tax if you can tell me also what do you think is it worth it pursing optometry will there even be jobs in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

My total debt is higher than I would like, but not as bad as some others because I had family help. If you like the profession and won't be angry that you can't live a like 500k/year surgeon then the profession might be fine for you. If I were to do my life over again, I think that I would still pick this profession, but I would choose a different school. Salaries vary by region. Major cities are more saturated and the salaries can actually be lower than what they are in a small town. You won't be poor doing this job as long as you don't have bizarre circumstances. You probably also won't be the richest person around. Most of my colleagues live pretty well.

I used to want to pursue pharmacy, but I gave that up because I told myself it's too saturated and it'll be hard to find a job. But honestly, if I REALLY think about it- I gave up pharmacy because I didn't want to work as a pharmacist. You can say that a lot of professions are saturated, but if that's what you want to do and you think you'll love it- then stick to it, work hard, and strive to be the best. That's what I learned this past year. If you're among the best, then you don't have to worry about your profession being saturated. Don't let that be the reason for giving up optometry.

Last edited:
Professions are only saturated for people who tow the line. If your willing to work hard you'll be fine.