Is it worth taking extra BCPM (online) courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanutp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to raise my sGPA as much as possible before applying next year. I've been working like hell to raise it from an undergrad 1.44 more than 10 years ago to the 3.0 it is now (which I found was incredibly hard to budge it -- every class only raises the GPA around 0.02 points). I recently noticed that some colleges offer online science classes (not the core physics/bio/ochem/chem classes), like astronomy and miscellaneous biology courses like evolution, etc. -- which usually do not show up as online courses on transcripts. My FT working schedule does not allow for me to take more than the core classes right now. The GPA boost would help..any little bit counts.

What is everyone's take on this? Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

it depends what school you are taking the classes through because some are respectable and others not so much. the schools that do online courses with proctored exams in an exam center are usually more reputable. it can get pretty costly though, like if you do it through berkeley extension or harvard extension it probably won't be worth it because of how much you will end up spending (unless you have the money, then go for it)

You are probably someone who would benefit more from an SMP-type program. You've completed all of your courses but are looking for something that can serve as proof that you are competent & that your earlier grades are merely lasting marks of a reckless youth or difficult life circumstances. Online or not, a transcript full of soft siences wouldn't be particularly strong proof that you can succeed in medical school, rather it would look like what it is--an attempt to salvage numbers with fluff. It is not the best target for your money, effort, time, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are probably someone who would benefit more from an SMP-type program. You've completed all of your courses but are looking for something that can serve as proof that you are competent & that your earlier grades are merely lasting marks of a reckless youth or difficult life circumstances. Online or not, a transcript full of soft siences wouldn't be particularly strong proof that you can succeed in medical school, rather it would look like what it is--an attempt to salvage numbers with fluff. It is not the best target for your money, effort, time, etc.
I agree.

I did some of those courses (not online) for purposes of the GPA. It definitely helps to establish credibility in the sciences, but it is your prerequisite courses that matter most. If you tank them (C and so on) and just have an artificially high GPA due to extra classes, I think they'll see through that.