Is it wrong to ask your interviewer advice on how to improve for your next interview?

Started by barb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

barb

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had an interview at MCPHU in December and still don't know if I've been accepted, but I have some interviews coming up and I want to know if I screwed up the interview or not so I won't make the same mistake next time. My interviewer told me I could call her with any questions I might have, but would this kind of question be frowned upon?
 
At the very end of my interviews, I always ask, "Can you give me any suggestions so that I can improve my interviewing skills?" Everyone so far has seemed to be ok with this question, and gladly has volunteered what they look for (posture and eye contact are the two things that I have found most important!). I would't hesitate to ask. Just make sure that you emphasize that you wan't to improve your interviewing skills when you ask the question. Don't be like, "What the hell did I do wrong this time?"
 
Do you really want your interviewer to focus on the negative aspects of your interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with UCLA2000 - if this interviewer is part of the committee rather than just passing an evaluation on at the time of interview you want this person to remember you positively. The last thing you want to do is put in their head all the things you did wrong! If you know they are not a part of the committee and will have already submitted an assessment on you, go for it.

If I were you I would be more inclined to do 'mock' interviews with a pre-med advisor, faculty member or even just friends. The last category may not have the 'inside scoop' on what med schools look for but they and admissions people are human - and probably respond/can point out obvious things like bad posture/nervous habits, etc
 
I wouldn't
-it implies lack of confidence in your performance thus far
-it implies lack of confidence in yourself as a candidate for that school

You are in essence telling them "well I'm not going to get in here, so what should I do differently so that my next interviewer, at another school, will like me?" Do you really want to say that?