Question on how early is early enough to apply?

Started by bluebeans7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluebeans7

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am on two waitlists right now, but no As. I am preparing to apply next cycle, and know that because it is rolling admissions it is really important to apply as early as possible. One of the schools I am waitlisted at told us that waitlist decisions won't come out until at least June 1st. Thus: is it worth it to wait a couple weeks into June to submit my primary application in case I get in and can save the money on the app, or is it crucial to apply that first couple days at the end of May?
 
I am on two waitlists right now, but no As. I am preparing to apply next cycle, and know that because it is rolling admissions it is really important to apply as early as possible. One of the schools I am waitlisted at told us that waitlist decisions won't come out until at least June 1st. Thus: is it worth it to wait a couple weeks into June to submit my primary application in case I get in and can save the money on the app, or is it crucial to apply that first couple days at the end of May?

I think you can wait until around June 10 or so.
 
They were really backed up on verification last year and people who submitted around June 10th weren't verified until mid July (~40 days later). If you want to optimize your application timeline as much as possible and are in a financially feasible position to submit to a single school, that is probably your best bet. Plus the universe likes to reward people who give AAMC more money with a WL acceptance immediately after you hit submit lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They were really backed up on verification last year and people who submitted around June 10th weren't verified until mid July (~40 days later). If you want to optimize your application timeline as much as possible and are in a financially feasible position to submit to a single school, that is probably your best bet. Plus the universe likes to reward people who give AAMC more money with a WL acceptance immediately after you hit submit lol.
Do you mean just submit for 1 school, and then add the rest later?
 
Yes, the strategy is to get in the queue to be verified which takes longer and longer in the opening days of the cycle. Being on the late side of early can become the early side of late if it is taking more than a month to be verified and have eyeballs on your application in the admissions offices. The point is to pay the single fee, get in line for verification and then pay additional fees if you need to apply broadly (i.e. you don't get off one of those waitlists).