1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Is kaplan course worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by suhshi, Dec 28, 2008.

1. suhshi

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    so im planning to take the kaplan course this summer
    but from all the resources Ive learned about on this forum
    im beginning to doubt if it would really be necessary, and I would be spending a lot of $$$

is it really necessary to take the course along with all the materials :

Destroyer
    CRACK DAT PAT
    cliffs AP bio
    campbells BIO book
    Top Score

or should I just buy the kaplan BB and study myself

i also feel like studying through a course would force me to keep up with the homework for kaplan

thanks for the input

2. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took it, and I regret it. I would rather buy 500 dollars study materials and a new comp instead ;)
    I suggest Achiever also.
    And buy extra materials for what you are weak in.

3. eldirty

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    personal preference ... get the study material and skip out on the kaplan

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    do what doc ordered. ud think kaplan would keep u studying... not at all... the course moves too quick to gain any benefit. just buy the prep material.

a good idea is to locate someone studying for dat/pcat/mcat and study with them for the sciences

5. klpennin

klpennin 20/22/20
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I thought that the online parctice tests/quizzes were really helpful. But the course it self was not very helpful at all. The main thing is to feel confident when you go in to take that test.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. peyman2002

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    this has been discussed so many times before well I had the same question too, I decided to take the course, I heard its good for QR and possibly RC, they have good strategies for PAT too. the tests are really helpful too. so my opinion is go ahead and take it.

7. suhshi

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    yea
    i kinda need some help on the RC

but ive been reading NY times i think its been helpful

8. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    For RC you don't just need to read... you need to answer questions, timed. You also need to not only remember what the text said but to be able to extract info from the text in order to solve problems not connected to the text

I think Kaplan course helps some people to get into habbit of studying. I personally didn't take it (I didn't have 1500 dollars) but I studied a lot without it (6-7 hours a day on average for 3 months). If you know you could study by yourself - as suggested before=) - get all the prep books + more and buy yourself a new laptop:D

I ended up spending about 350$ on prep materials.

#8 Zubnaya Feya, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. diplo123

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Take the class. Although I didn't think the actual lectures were all that helpful, the tons of online tutorials and quizzes along with the big blue book you get are very helpful. And working out PAT problems in class was very helpful. I saved 3 full length online tests and took them the week before the DAT, and I scored in the 96th percentile (22). It was well worth it (although I got it for free by a raffle) lol

10. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's what I am doing :) I can't spend over $1000 on a course that most people say bad....and I have been in my university for 5 years with grant money so spending over $1000 is like spending more money than how much I've been spending for last 5 years. :eek:

11. suhshi

7+ Year Member

Dentist

so along with the course, you get the online tutorials and practice tests as well?

12. 206127

Dental Student
    I thought it was worth it, it forced me to study. I didnt want to be that guy that couldnt answer any of the questions in class...