Is Kaplan too detailed??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandie28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like the Kaplan book is so detailed for some of the Biology section. Do we really need to know the Bio section inside and out??? I mean some of it I don't think I was ever taught in my gen. Bio class! Any opinion would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

YES, its way way way too detailed. Half of the stuff didn't end up on the PCAT I took. My university never had general biology- we did microbiology and cell biology in our first term so it wasn't so bad when I was studying it. But it's not something to stress about. If you feel mediocre about the biology section in Kaplan, then you are ready for the biology section in the PCAT. lol

YES, its way way way too detailed. Half of the stuff didn't end up on the PCAT I took. My university never had general biology- we did microbiology and cell biology in our first term so it wasn't so bad when I was studying it. But it's not something to stress about. If you feel mediocre about the biology section in Kaplan, then you are ready for the biology section in the PCAT. lol
Hehe thank you! I took the Dr. Collins prep class and like at least 50% of the stuff in the book we didn't cover in that class either so I thought that was odd too. But I am relieved to hear that it is a but much. Thanks!

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the stuff on lower organisms. A lot of the chapters discuss circulation, execretory, digestive, nervous systems for annelids, cniridia and those, but the PCAT is largely geared towards human physiology so you wouldn't likely see any questions specifically asking you about, oh say the anatomy of a hydra. Study for the human stuff and you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely felt like I studied for the wrong things on the Bio section. I'm not sure why but I focused on Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration (probably because I found those to be hard topics in Bio), but instead I really should have focused more on Anatomy stuff.

Yea I heard that A&P and Micro. were becoming the bigger parts of the Bio section on the PCAT now. I havn't taken Micro yet so I am not sure what to study for that.

Kaplan is too detailed but 90% of the book should be review anyway. I had to remember a couple things like what part of the brain did this and what hormone did that but thats about it.

There are detailed questions on the PCAT, but who knows if those are counted or not. If you read through the Kaplan book and know most of it you should be fine.

Everyone says A&P and Microbio but if you read through kaplan's biology you should be 100% fine considering the later half of Bio2 is like an early intro to A&P. Taking Bio2 is more imperative than say A&P I say.

Kaplan, not too detailed but rather excruciatingly lengthy and only one practice exam.

Still good book to get through. Gives good info. "Better to know then to be sorry."

So suck it up....

Everyone says A&P and Microbio but if you read through kaplan's biology you should be 100% fine considering the later half of Bio2 is like an early intro to A&P. Taking Bio2 is more imperative than say A&P I say.
Go figure i've taken A&P 1&2 but not Bio 2 lol....

I felt that kaplan didn't help on microbio part, or maybe that's just me.

Looking at the list of bacteria on the question...
Me: when the eff did i read about them. never! that book, arg...

i agree that kaplan lacked information about microbiology. look at the biology problems in CLIFFNOTES 5 PCAT EXAMS book. There are a few questions about which infection is caused by parasite/bacteria/virus... know the common ones!!! GOOD LUCK.

My suggestion, cover all three books; Kaplan, Cliffs and Barron.

Start with Barron
Then take 3 Ciff's exams
Then study Kaplan &

Go back and take 2 more Cliff's exam (Remember there are 5 exam in Cliff's).

Go figure i've taken A&P 1&2 but not Bio 2 lol....

what do u think about dr.collins course..did u take the PCAT last saturday or in august..are you only studying for the PCAT through his materials ..thanks

I loved the Dr. Collins class....they give you tons of material to study and lots of practice tests! I don't know how they compare to actual PCAT though..we will see!