Is MD/DO realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingPogan

Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry if the title isn't specific enough, but I'm trying to gauge where I should go at this point in time.

Long story short, I am currently doing very well in my undergrad studies. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 4.0 sGPA. I also have taken several MCAT practice tests, with an estimated score between 510 and 520 (depends on the day, really).

However, I am concerned about a rough patch I experienced when I was about 19 that caused me to drop out of college. I returned to school when I was 21. Prior to dropping out, I failed two entire semesters (approximately 4 F's total) and withdrew from three classes. Obviously, this will be factored into my application.

Assuming I maintain a 3.8 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA at my current school with between a 510 and 520 MCAT, how realistic are my odds at an MD school? Is DO realistic? If neither are realistic currently, what's the best course of action for improving my odds?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be fine. They don’t care who you were, they care who you are. If you hit your MCAT score and have that GPA, MD is absolutely doable

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all. Sorry if the title isn't specific enough, but I'm trying to gauge where I should go at this point in time.

Long story short, I am currently doing very well in my undergrad studies. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 4.0 sGPA. I also have taken several MCAT practice tests, with an estimated score between 510 and 520 (depends on the day, really).

However, I am concerned about a rough patch I experienced when I was about 19 that caused me to drop out of college. I returned to school when I was 21. Prior to dropping out, I failed two entire semesters (approximately 4 F's total) and withdrew from three classes. Obviously, this will be factored into my application.

Assuming I maintain a 3.8 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA at my current school with between a 510 and 520 MCAT, how realistic are my odds at an MD school? Is DO realistic? If neither are realistic currently, what's the best course of action for improving my odds?

Thanks in advance!
Chances are very good. Once you have your MCAT score, come back for advice on school lists.

Rising GPA trends are always good. We love come from behind stories....it's in our DNA

Reactions: 3 users