MD & DO Is MD out of the question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livingthepremednightmare

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd love some SDN input on my current situation. So I'll be applying this cycle and I'm debating on whether or not I should apply to MD schools.
cGPA~3.15
sGPA~3.35
MCAT 506 (128/129/124/125)
Research- about a year's worth, no pubs, possible poster presentation this semester
Volunteering~350 hours with ~60 clinical
plenty of shadowing/patient exposure

So from about 18-20 I was halfheartedly going to school and got terrible grades. I was in the Army for 4 years (active duty combat medic with a deployment to Afghanistan) and since returning I've gotten pretty decent grades (~3.6 for my last 120 hours) and have a strong upward trend. I'm wondering if I should even apply to MD schools at this point? My main concern is getting filtered out before anyone even sees my application, or just not having a good enough application to make up for my less than desirable gpa. At this point, I have no problem going to a DO school, but I'd still like to apply to some MD schools if there's actually a chance of getting in. I understand that being a vet can make up for a lot, but I don't expect it to make up for that low of a gpa. Retaking the MCAT at this point would be tough, just because I don't have enough time to put in studying to get a 510+.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think its been said that military should base their school list on their LizzyM +5. I think you would be competitive at MD schools despite your academic numbers. Your scores arent so low that you'd get auto screened except for the toppy schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: thank you for your service, wish you the best!

Edit #2: don't listen to me, trust Goro

Last edited:
First off, many thanks to you for your service to our country. Hoooahh!

You do have a shot at some MD schools, especially your state school. Also include schools like the Philly Triplets, Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Creighton, Albany.

I'd love some SDN input on my current situation. So I'll be applying this cycle and I'm debating on whether or not I should apply to MD schools.
cGPA~3.15
sGPA~3.35
MCAT 506 (128/129/124/125)
Research- about a year's worth, no pubs, possible poster presentation this semester
Volunteering~350 hours with ~60 clinical
plenty of shadowing/patient exposure

So from about 18-20 I was halfheartedly going to school and got terrible grades. I was in the Army for 4 years (active duty combat medic with a deployment to Afghanistan) and since returning I've gotten pretty decent grades (~3.6 for my last 120 hours) and have a strong upward trend. I'm wondering if I should even apply to MD schools at this point? My main concern is getting filtered out before anyone even sees my application, or just not having a good enough application to make up for my less than desirable gpa. At this point, I have no problem going to a DO school, but I'd still like to apply to some MD schools if there's actually a chance of getting in. I understand that being a vet can make up for a lot, but I don't expect it to make up for that low of a gpa. Retaking the MCAT at this point would be tough, just because I don't have enough time to put in studying to get a 510+.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user