Is MD-PhD a pipe dream for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexanehelio

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I definitely think you are competitive for an MD PhD program! The GPA is not as significant as research in many places, and you have a great MCAT, and a great upward trend to show you can handle the academics. From what I've seen it seems like a lot of the engineering programs require the GRE on top of the MCAT, so maybe look into that. Also not sure if the healthcare outreach club gives you more volunteering hours, but you might want to look into some non-clinical volunteering around the community if you have the time to handle it.

I'm no adcom though, these are just my opinions as another applicant :)

I am really not the most knowledgeable person on this topic, but I think that it will work out for you. You have a great MCAT score and my pre-med advisor (also at a top 10 school) told me that schools look to your MCAT to validate your academic ability. This is for MD only, but my school has a 3.6/3.5 GPA and 515 MCAT average for matriculating undergraduate students, which suggests to me that the MCAT makes up, or adcoms know of the difficulty levels at different schools. Since you're at a peer institution, have an upward trend, publication + good research experience, and are from an under-represented demographic, I think you should definitely apply :) Maybe the enlightened adcoms on here can give you more specific advice wrt programs and such though.

All I can say is that I know some schools are restrictive over who can do a BME MD/PhD. My alma mater said that you need to have a good math background and be a hard science or BME major, so maybe you'll want to look into which schools offer the program and let non-BMEs in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely think you are competitive for an MD PhD program! The GPA is not as significant as research in many places, and you have a great MCAT, and a great upward trend to show you can handle the academics. From what I've seen it seems like a lot of the engineering programs require the GRE on top of the MCAT, so maybe look into that. Also not sure if the healthcare outreach club gives you more volunteering hours, but you might want to look into some non-clinical volunteering around the community if you have the time to handle it.

I'm no adcom though, these are just my opinions as another applicant :)

Thank you for your input. I will look into the GRE stuff! And the healthcare club does count as non-clinical volunteering. :)

I am really not the most knowledgeable person on this topic, but I think that it will work out for you. You have a great MCAT score and my pre-med advisor (also at a top 10 school) told me that schools look to your MCAT to validate your academic ability. This is for MD only, but my school has a 3.6/3.5 GPA and 515 MCAT average for matriculating undergraduate students, which suggests to me that the MCAT makes up, or adcoms know of the difficulty levels at different schools. Since you're at a peer institution, have an upward trend, publication + good research experience, and are from an under-represented demographic, I think you should definitely apply :) Maybe the enlightened adcoms on here can give you more specific advice wrt programs and such though.

All I can say is that I know some schools are restrictive over who can do a BME MD/PhD. My alma mater said that you need to have a good math background and be a hard science or BME major, so maybe you'll want to look into which schools offer the program and let non-BMEs in.

Thank you. That is good to know on the BME thing.