Is medicine a possibility for me?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CuriousDropout

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My schooltime wasn't the greatest, mostly because of my own mistakes. I was dealing with a lot of serious depressions that lead to the point of various suicide attempts and dropping out of school entirely at the year before high school graduation. I haven't been gone back since and right now I'm a couple of months away from turning 22.

Once I dropped out I just started working for one company after the other and trying to deal with the depression at the same time. I didn't trust anybody, so I never opened up about how I was feeling to anybody, not towards any proffesional or anybody close to me. Eventually things did get better and I actually ordered this course from a distance learning program that covers the basics of medicine. Like basic anatomy, histology, pathology, ethics, etc. I'm really interested in the material. I even talk about it really frequently with one of my best friends, who's in a medical school, but not in my country.

So because of this I'm curious, and I hope that somebody reading this could help me with this. Is medicine a possibility for me? I did look into it and I know of some of the requirements to get into a medical school, so I have some idea. But with this background, I think it would mean that I'd be 26 years old if I can get in a med school, unless the college step isn't mandetory. Could anybody help me with this question?

Much thanks for reading it, regardless if you answer or not.
 
My schooltime wasn't the greatest, mostly because of my own mistakes. I was dealing with a lot of serious depressions that lead to the point of various suicide attempts and dropping out of school entirely at the year before high school graduation. I haven't been gone back since and right now I'm a couple of months away from turning 22.

Once I dropped out I just started working for one company after the other and trying to deal with the depression at the same time. I didn't trust anybody, so I never opened up about how I was feeling to anybody, not towards any proffesional or anybody close to me. Eventually things did get better and I actually ordered this course from a distance learning program that covers the basics of medicine. Like basic anatomy, histology, pathology, ethics, etc. I'm really interested in the material. I even talk about it really frequently with one of my best friends, who's in a medical school, but not in my country.

So because of this I'm curious, and I hope that somebody reading this could help me with this. Is medicine a possibility for me? I did look into it and I know of some of the requirements to get into a medical school, so I have some idea. But with this background, I think it would mean that I'd be 26 years old if I can get in a med school, unless the college step isn't mandetory. Could anybody help me with this question?

Much thanks for reading it, regardless if you answer or not.

hell yea you can do it. go to a 2 year jc, transfer to a 4 year. get like around a 3.5 gpa. take the mcat get over 28 and u should be good for DO schools.

i think the average age for med school is like a 23-24. u can do whatever u want man. no dweeb on this forum can tell u otherwise. good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can do it! To get into medical school is very straightforward:

Study your ass off, get good grades, get involved with medicine in your community somehow.

It's never too late to start!
 
You can do it.

Like the others have said, if your GPA is "not recoverable" in terms of MD schools, DO schools are more lenient. Heck, you might even find the small differences in philosophy to your liking anyway.

Just always keep up on your mental health. I know first hand how important it is to do so, especially if/when you get into med school.

Best wishes!
 
You can do it.

Like the others have said, if your GPA is "not recoverable" in terms of MD schools, DO schools are more lenient. Heck, you might even find the small differences in philosophy to your liking anyway.

Just always keep up on your mental health. I know first hand how important it is to do so, especially if/when you get into med school.

Best wishes!

OP dropped out in high school, so he has no college GPA to have to recover.

OP: As others have said, go to a community college and transfer, worse case scenario you end up being able to get a better job.
 
I think that the admission committees at medical schools would love to have someone like you at their school if you do well in undergrad. To go from dropping out of high school to getting a GRE, then bachelor's degree, is a feat and would not go unnoticed. I say go for it! Work hard and you won't regret it for one second.