is mentioning videogame bad in application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You just flagrantly contradicted yourself within the paragraph that I highlighted bold. You say video games and the real world are both 3D. So if video games are in 3D, and so is the real world, wouldn't playing video games help you in 3D procedures in the real world, and therefore make you a better applicant, not a worse one?????

It's like saying, Yes you get to shoot a gun at a skeet shooting range. Well, you also get to shoot a gun in real life while hunting for deer. So maybe if you entered the real world you would realize that the practice shooting range in no way made you a better shooter in the real world.

You see how your thinking is a little bit clouded?

Do i really have to walk you through this? The point is that BOTH video games and the real world are in 3-D. So why would spending an exorbant amount of time in one world over the other improve your spacial abilities? It wouldn't and you would not have gained anything as an applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Do i really have to walk you through this? The point is that BOTH video games and the real world are in 3-D. So why would spending an exorbant amount of time in one world over the other improve your spacial abilities? It wouldn't and you would not have gained anything as an applicant.

You're going to be a terrible dentist lol, I can just tell.

No social life? Maybe he's just skilled? Some people are just naturally more skilled than others....

You could practice all night and day and still probably not beat blarelli in starcraft or warcraft II. And even worse....that would make...YOU the person with no social life for practicing so much. LOL pwned....like a NOOB.

i beg to differ. i don't play video games, nor do i have any desire to "beat blarelli in starcraft or warcraft II". the fact that you actually have to belittle my comment to make your self feel better about your video game skills is actually quite sad. get a life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not mention it in my PS but the fact that you were number two worldwide does show commitment to something, and video games do relieve stress which is a major aging factor. Do not let the hateful comments get to you. There is nothing wrong with relaxing and enjoying yourself, but there is a time and place for everything, and I personally do not believe a PS is the place to mention them.

You're going to be a terrible dentist lol, I can just tell.

Haha man you are ridiculous. A number of adcoms disagree with you so Im trying to figure out what qualifies you to make this judgement? Explain it to me? Wait, thats a little bit out of your league. because when you realize you've been arguing foolishly, you don't construct counter-arguments, you just result to insults. Like ^^^

You being 29 and married with 3 kids hasn't helped you much in the emotional maturity category so I will attempt to end this. Obviously this whole gamer thing strikes at a very sensitive spot with you. Believe me, you care about it way more than I do. Stop making ridiculous arguments on this anonymous forum to justify your insecurities about being a hardcore gamer.

Haha man you are ridiculous. A number of adcoms disagree with you so Im trying to figure out what qualifies you to make this judgement? Explain it to me? Wait, thats a little bit out of your league. because when you realize you've been arguing foolishly, you don't construct counter-arguments, you just result to insults. Like ^^^

You being 29 and married with 3 kids hasn't helped you much in the emotional maturity category so I will attempt to end this. Obviously this whole gamer thing strikes at a very sensitive spot with you. Believe me, you care about it way more than I do. Stop making ridiculous arguments on this anonymous forum to justify your insecurities about being a hardcore gamer.

Arguing, arguing, arguing, la la la la la....

Yeah...this is exactly why I think you're going to be a terrible dentist. Apparently adcoms cannot see past your childishness. You have so much to learn, young grasshopper.

i beg to differ. i don't play video games, nor do i have any desire to "beat blarelli in starcraft or warcraft II". the fact that you actually have to belittle my comment to make your self feel better about your video game skills is actually quite sad. get a life.

Well..if you look on the other side of the coin...you just belittled my comments....or at least negatively attacked me in some way.....

So if you look at it....you're no better than me, and I'm not better than you. We both have this desire to "out-argue" one another - otherwise, you would have not attacked back at me, but instead acted maturely and not responded at all. It's OK. Noobs like you are not very mature.....but it has to be said. You will learn one day. It will take you a little longer.

I can already predict the future as to what will happen next: You will come back QQ'ing and trying to come up with another argument because you have not learned my lesson....and these silly arguments will continue until the MOD will ban the thread........OR........you will actually become educated/mature and stop the argument by not responding to this post. You're supposed to be mature and educated if you want to become a dentist. Right? Am I missing something?

I don't know why even try sometimes lol.....

I will take the advice you guys gave me and won't put that on my application.

But here is just a couple of things that I want to say about how it increases dexterity. Plz don't read it if you don't like games :)

it's depending on what game we are talking about.

FPS = headshot is what most gamers want. Hardcore gamers buy good mouse with high precision, something that you can adjust the weight of the mouse(G5 for example), change the speed of the mouse movement, and this should be done with one hit due to recoil.

RTS = requires you to learn how to press all the buttons in keyboard with one hand without looking at the keyboard and it should be done with fast speed for unit management. Unlike most people who type keyboard with two hands, gamers can do it with one hand, and pressing 2~3 buttons on keyboard simultaneously, too.

Fighting = they are demanding on reacting with the eye and hand coordination. Precision, timing, speed and responsiveness are all very important. Hardcore gamers buy extra arcade fighting sticks that cost around $150 just to improve the control.

Music = have you guys played guitar hero or beat mania? guitar hero is for kids even at the highest level but beat mania is what dexterity is all about.

Anyway I guess I talk too much :D I will stop here.

hahaha this is hilarious but quite true. and i find it funny that you live in my area too! (except i reside in cville)
should i be embarassed?:rolleyes:

Hey Joon,

I shall side with you. I put my video game experience in the manual dexterity section. Albeit very conservative. I called it "technical training simulation" and guess what... Dental school next year for me :D

For those of you who think video game is nerdy, you seriously should check out the growing population of gaming individuals.

It's tough to put video games in the application because the readers of the application can't relate, nor do they know what a high score is. I've spent a lot of time playing high manual dexterity. My high score on ms pacman is 267,000; I play expert level in guitar hero, the most lines of got in the orignial tetris is 243, I do brown e's in the strait aways in mariokart, I've got up to 40 balls in jezzball, and I've beat minesweeper on expert in 148 seconds. This is what I'm going to say on my application, and it's worth it for me to do this because due to the simplicity of these games, there's a good chance that the person reading my application knows what I'm talking about.

You guys can take this idea, just don't make up scores if you didn't really get them.

anyone up for a quick 1v1 python?

Video games help me when I am stressed. Don't put that on our PS though dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well..if you look on the other side of the coin...you just belittled my comments....or at least negatively attacked me in some way.....

So if you look at it....you're no better than me, and I'm not better than you. We both have this desire to "out-argue" one another - otherwise, you would have not attacked back at me, but instead acted maturely and not responded at all. It's OK. Noobs like you are not very mature.....but it has to be said. You will learn one day. It will take you a little longer.

I can already predict the future as to what will happen next: You will come back QQ'ing and trying to come up with another argument because you have not learned my lesson....and these silly arguments will continue until the MOD will ban the thread........OR........you will actually become educated/mature and stop the argument by not responding to this post. You're supposed to be mature and educated if you want to become a dentist. Right? Am I missing something?

I don't know why even try sometimes lol.....

oh the irony...

i agree, this thread is not really going anywhere...

what is a "noob"?? is it like "newbie" in which i am new at something? if so, what is it that i am being called out at as being a "noob"? you lost me...

oh the irony...

i agree, this thread is not really going anywhere...

what is a "noob"?? is it like "newbie" in which i am new at something? if so, what is it that i am being called out at as being a "noob"? you lost me...

Noob is probably my favorite gamers word. Even more than Pwned. It is the same as newbie, generally used as an insult (how it is an insult, I have no idea). I just really like it because people throw it around like it is supposed to be some scathing remark.:laugh:

I mentioned video games in my manual dexterity section and it definitely didn't hurt me, but I too would probably recommend not putting it in your personal statement.

IMO, not in your PS, but you can mention video game in your hobby.

True Story!

During my interview at NYU, for the "tell me about yourself" question, part of my answer involved playing video games on my spare time. The interviewer seemed impressed and asked me "Do you know how playing video games can be of use as a dentist"? I then gave the obvious answer of the finger strength, accuracy blah blah blah. So it definitely helped me.

I've been playing computer games for a long time so I opted to briefly mention it in my PS as well as on my app. The Health Professions Counselor at my school who helped me w/ my PS never said "don't include that." (he has helped students get into professional schools for a long time)

Anyways, I think it is a gray area and it depends on how strongly you feel you could explain it to an adcom during an interview. It could be one of those things that helps you stand out OR looks like a bad habit.. you never know.

1v1 python?!? I'm there

wow there are a lot of scathing remarks on here! some people really hate video games... sheesh! it's probably not a good idea to put it on your app because there is a decent chance someone reviewing it might see it in the same light as some of the people on this thread. but i don't hold any disrespect, and i know professional doctors and dentists that don't hold any disrespect for it either. my surgeon neighbor who does lots of minimally invasive surgery tells me how it really is a lot like video games, and if you are naturally bad at video games, you probably wouldn't be very good at the type of surgery he does.

and the kind of judging on this thread toward anyone who has ever touched a video game in their life annoys me. i rarely ever play, but there is a huge difference between people that play video games 10 hrs a day online by themselves with a headset and people that play games only in social situations with lots of other people, like guitar hero or madden or even smash bros. some bars in my college town even had guitar hero tournaments every tuesday that were hugely popular.

hahaha this is hilarious but quite true. and i find it funny that you live in my area too! (except i reside in cville)
should i be embarassed?:rolleyes:

woot~ I used to live in cville, too :D

If you put video games on your application, I'll let you in, no question about it. I'd recommend putting a line on your application underneath "hours observing dentists" and "service hours" that says "video game hours," just so the admissions committee can see how devoted you are to them.

If you put video games on your application, I'll let you in, no question about it. I'd recommend putting a line on your application underneath "hours observing dentists" and "service hours" that says "video game hours," just so the admissions committee can see how devoted you are to them.
lol.

And no, don't put it in the P.S., not professional. I think I mentioned it as the last thing under hobbies or maybe even manual dexterity.

FWIW, my O-chem prof was convinced that video gamers have a much better grasp of that subject, due to their ability to manipulate 3D objects in space.

Video games are a great way to improve cognitive stimulation and improves manual dexterity by the movement of the fingers. But I am not sure how most people will react to video games, so to be on the safe side, just dont mention it unless asked in the interview you can say you like video games. Ie PS3 or XBOX 360! Because everything else just sucks! Actually Wii is really fun too lol

only if its call of duty

I used to love Halo and play it exclusively, but after getting hooked on CoD:4, I have officially announced my retirement from H3.

Funny this thread came up. I put on my app how I've always had a job while in school since the age of 16....But my Health Career advisor noticed that in my work experience there is about a 2 year hole. I had to explain how video games were my sole income for those 2 years. Sadly it was also my best years of income. I had to revamp my app. I dropped the whole worry about working and going to school. Obviously we are the Gamer Generation. So what will the call us, Generation G? or something to that effect? I can see the pros and cons but must agree with many of the above posters that the committees that are reviewing these applications still listen to cassette tapes and still own a working VCR player. So it would be something to mention as a side note in an interview about yourself or something to be honest about. But don't try to explain how much it will help you in dentistry. I know of the benefits I've seen in life from choosing to play video games. I mean that is how I chose to spend my free time. I've never hardly watched television since I hit high school unless it was a ball game of some sort. They are a fun hobby if you use it to unwind like many do and I am sure that most people on this forum are just envious of the fact that you maintained a good gpa while enjoying your free time. Or they just don't like video games. I mean my parents to this day practically disown me if I mention it, but that is their generation. Do whatever you feel. I think the best thing is to be honest and if you have the other parts of the app up to snuff then you will be fine.

I put it in my PS, and I see it in applications all the time. I think it's fine, there's research that shows surgeon's hand skills are mildly improved by playing video games, and there's similar research going on here at Pacific to see what effect it has on dental students.

It also probably has implications on a students ability to successfully navigate clinic management software and things like iTero, CEREC, E4D and the like. The thing though is that it's so pervasive, and so many people put this on their application, I don't really think it makes you stand out at all.

I am planning to talk about videogame experience in my personal statement and was wondering if it will make them frown on my application because they think I am immature? The main point I want to make here is how playing video game enhanced my hands on activity(I think that's why they like to see you with art or music class), and also I got used to 3D objects.

I mentioned it in mine: applied to 8 schools -> received 7 interviews, went to 6 and was accepted at 5 and wait-listed at one.

Just make sure it's not the main focus and that you round out your app.

Best,
Bergoshe

How is being a lvl 80 paladin NOT an example of manual dexterity?

according to several news agencies, doctors who are gamers make better surgeons:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070220012341.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4685909/

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/08/18/video-game-playing-associated-with-surgery-skills/

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2008-08-18-video-games-learning_N.htm

also, there is indeed a difference between 3D in "real life" and 3D in a game. 3d in a game is still represented by a 2D surface (your television screen), the 3rd dimension being emulated by linear algebra and a physics engine from the game itself. so i'd argue that one's ability to mental interpolate their virtual surroundings does flex a different part of the brain

I don't know how this old thread revived again, LOL.

But I took DAT after asked this question and I can answer my own question now.

I got 23 on PAT and I want to say that I couldn't have done it without videogames.

If 23 on PAT is not good then I am embarassed to say this now, LOL.

Haha this thread is funny.. And yes, 23 is good. I wouldn't mention 'gaming' in an interview or application though. Something more mentally stimulating would be more appropriate.. I love video games though and would sadly consider them a small hobby :oops:

Haha this thread is awesome. Coincidentally, at my UoP interview this year, the associate dean guy told us to play a lot of video games to prepare for dental school by building up our manual dexterity. They were even doing some studies on the link between the two and said that initial research was showing that playing video games did improve dexterity.

New Member, and I am thrilled to have my first post be about video games. Love em :thumbup:

So who else is CRAZY STOKED about CoD:Modern Warfare 2 coming out in less than 10 days???????

i was thinking about putting this in my essay, i used to be pretty good with Ladder WC3 TFT, i used to hit 160s apm (no spamming).
And i have seen people with 200+ (yes i know SCers go 300, but that's with a lot of random useless clicking, WC3 is where it's at!)

Anyway, it requires a lot of dexterity and quick on the spot thinking. If only people learned to appreciate professional gaming... I've heard pro-gammers go on to become successful businessmen and managers so gaming definitely isn't a waste of time :D

indeed, but i'd like to know how you, as a dental student, have the time to pwn noobs on mw2? :p
Oh, you gotta MAKE TIME! Haha. I have some buddies at school and we all play online together 1-3 times/week. It's my favorite way to recuperate from a loong exam day.

Last edited:
I think I'd be the same way once I get into dental school. I'm guessing you're going to lose sleep because of it?
Yeah you can definitely lose sleep. I really don't study as much as I should. I'm married and have one kid and one on the way, so I'd usually rather be with them than study (and am used to getting a little less sleep anyway). I am getting pretty good at doing a little here and there and then cramming well beginning 3-4 days before exams. ;)