Is my analysis off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lecithin5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking today about the nurses' efforts to vie for complete independence and attempts to make a (false) equivalency to physicians: let's just say that crnas all over the land can practice completely independently. So one of 2 things could happen: physician salaries go down to be on par with CRNA salaries, or CRNA salaries go up. In likelihood, the former would happen. I don't think crna salaries would go up. So then you would have physicians and crnas making similar money. Who would a hospital rather have then? I would imagine they would choose a physician, thereby decreasing crna employment opportunities. So aren't crnas shooting themselves in the foot, when they have it pretty dang good right now? This is obviously an oversimplification, but am I way off?

PS I am strictly talking from an economic/employment standpoint, not from an ethical and doing-what's-right-for-the-patient standpoint. Of course anesthesia should be physician lead...

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking today about the nurses' efforts to vie for complete independence and attempts to make a (false) equivalency to physicians: let's just say that crnas all over the land can practice completely independently. So one of 2 things could happen: physician salaries go down to be on par with CRNA salaries, or CRNA salaries go up. In likelihood, the former would happen. I don't think crna salaries would go up. So then you would have physicians and crnas making similar money. Who would a hospital rather have then? I would imagine they would choose a physician, thereby decreasing crna employment opportunities. So aren't crnas shooting themselves in the foot, when they have it pretty dang good right now? This is obviously an oversimplification, but am I way off?

PS I am strictly talking from an economic/employment standpoint, not from an ethical and doing-what's-right-for-the-patient standpoint. Of course anesthesia should be physician lead...

Yep. I've always thought this. I also think the nurses would get pushed out of desirable metro areas since I think those spots would fill first with docs, if there are enough docs to fill them.
Another possible outcome is docs still make more, because the sick patients get triaged to them. The nurses do the chip shots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Real question is not docs vs nurses. The suits are the real enemy. I wish more nurses would understand this.

Real question is not docs vs nurses. The suits are the real enemy. I wish more nurses would understand this.

This.

Nurses are docile and follow the rules. Nurses love protocols and pie charts. Doctors like science and common sense. Nurses like to check boxes. A nurse won't question a rule made up by some administrator, but a doctor will. All of these things make them much more attractive to hire as an employee of a large corporation. If you are a suit running a hospital, do you want to hire a bunch of people smarter than you or do you want to hire people who are going to follow the rules without question?

This.

Nurses are docile and follow the rules. Nurses love protocols and pie charts. Doctors like science and common sense. Nurses like to check boxes. A nurse won't question a rule made up by some administrator, but a doctor will. All of these things make them much more attractive to hire as an employee of a large corporation. If you are a suit running a hospital, do you want to hire a bunch of people smarter than you or do you want to hire people who are going to follow the rules without question?

I know a few nurse rabble rousers. They are definitely not all docile rule followers.

Reactions: 1 user