Is my app doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewHope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
Could anyone give any any advice, or been in the same/sim situation.

About 5 years ago I went to Caribbean school. Cuz of my family problems, and going through divorce I had to back off. Never took my finals, and have no graded courses. But while in school I took my midterms. Some were passing, some about to fail. So the transcript reads WP and WF. I actually tried that school twice (2 semesters back to back), but being away from the situation that was brewing back home basically "did me in". I wish I could pretend that it never happened. But the schools is well-known, and was finaced with Stafford loans. Otherwise my app is OK with about 3.8 overall and 3.65 science GPA, albeit a bit old. I also have lots of hospital work, direct patient care, and a Master's in a health field. But that foreign blurp does not do me any favors. Should I just forget the whole thing? Foreign schools will take me back, but I'm not sure that's such a great idea anymore. I'm certainly a nontrad by all definitions age, and education, and experience.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All!
Could anyone give any any advice, or been in the same/sim situation.

About 5 years ago I went to Caribbean school. Cuz of my family problems, and going through divorce I had to back off. Never took my finals, and have no graded courses. But while in school I took my midterms. Some were passing, some about to fail. So the transcript reads WP and WF. I actually tried that school twice (2 semesters back to back), but being away from the situation that was brewing back home basically "did me in". I wish I could pretend that it never happened. But the schools is well-known, and was finaced with Stafford loans. Otherwise my app is OK with about 3.8 overall and 3.65 science GPA, albeit a bit old. I also have lots of hospital work, direct patient care, and a Master's in a health field. But that foreign blurp does not do me any favors. Should I just forget the whole thing? Foreign schools will take me back, but I'm not sure that's such a great idea anymore. I'm certainly a nontrad by all definitions age, and education, and experience.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks
As you most likely know, DO schools are not totally numbers driven. Your undergrad numbers are very solid and would definitely generate interest from DO schools. I would imagine DO schools would also give you an opportunity to explain what happened at the carib. school. DO schools tend to be non-trad friendly as well, if it means you have more "life-experience". Your EC's seems pretty solid. With some good LORs I would say you have a good chance. How'd the MCAT go?

As you most likely know, DO schools are not totally numbers driven. Your undergrad numbers are very solid and would definitely generate interest from DO schools. I would imagine DO schools would also give you an opportunity to explain what happened at the carib. school. DO schools tend to be non-trad friendly as well, if it means you have more "life-experience". Your EC's seems pretty solid. With some good LORs I would say you have a good chance. How'd the MCAT go?

I agree. You have a legit reason for leaving the school With your GPA and decent MCAT you should be ok. Plus adcoms like people who have gone through diversity, shows maturity. You should be ok =)

I think that as long as the rest of your application is strong and all the issues were in the past, you will be fine. It took me several attempts to actually stick with college and I have a lot of not so good grades and Ws on my transcript. DO schools really do look at everything. I think everything will work out for you. :luck: :luck: :luck: