Is my career dream a reality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fstop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Growing up I wanted to be a doctor-what kid doesn't at some point. But after traveling the world, working many odd jobs, and meeting some amazing people I finally know what role I want career to play in my life.

I want a career helping people, but I discovered what's really important to me in this short life on the Earth is spending as much time as possible with my family and friends, traveling to as many countries as possible, and experiencing everything the world has to offer.

My question to all of you is this: Is there any career out there in the medical or psychological field that I can work as much or as little as I want, travel whenever I wish to, and still pay enough money to provide well for my family. I don't need to be rich but I do need to be able to provide for my family.

So is my career dream a reality?

Members don't see this ad.

While I am not sure if it's possible in the field of medicine, one thing definitely is: if you really want it that bad, I am sure you'll find a way to carve a path that satisfies all your life desires.

you could win the lottery...

Members don't see this ad :)
Growing up I wanted to be a doctor-what kid doesn't at some point. But after traveling the world, working many odd jobs, and meeting some amazing people I finally know what role I want career to play in my life.

I want a career helping people, but I discovered what's really important to me in this short life on the Earth is spending as much time as possible with my family and friends, traveling to as many countries as possible, and experiencing everything the world has to offer.

My question to all of you is this: Is there any career out there in the medical or psychological field that I can work as much or as little as I want, travel whenever I wish to, and still pay enough money to provide well for my family. I don't need to be rich but I do need to be able to provide for my family.

If you're interested in medicine and psychology, have you considered psychiatry as a specialty? It's one of those lifestyle specialties from what I've heard from a psychiatrist I shadowed. He works roughly 40 hours a week, but he takes two weeks off at Christmas to be with the kids and another two weeks over the summer for a family vacation. I'm not sure how much time off you want or if you're interested in only working part-time or what, but it's something to consider. I'd shadow a psychiatrist, if you can, to ask more specific questions. Most of us on this forum are pre-meds so we can only pass on hearsay.

Become a doctor and suck it up through med school, residency and loan repayment...save up some money then go practice leisurely in a foreign country? i dunno...are you trying to stay in the States or do you "want a career helping people" at an international level?

If you decide med school is the path you want to take, consider going for a masters in public or international health. Join the WHO or a charitable organization. As far as working as much or as little as you like, most docs have that option to work part time. I know a doctor who works one week a month in trauma. He's not rolling in the doe, but he's happy.

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping for a career in medicine or psychology because those are the two fields I am most interested in and my undergrad education was based in both subjects. But to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter so much how my career helps people-just that it does help people in some way.

I would happily work in a different field other than medicine or psychology if it could offer me the kind of lifestyle I hope to attain.

Others have mentioned life style options (psych) as for the traveling, perhaps you could do medical mission trips?!? I don't know anything about them, but they do involve traveling to underserved foreign areas and providing treatment. Would that fulfill your travel? Like I said...I don't know much about them...

I applaud you for your values :)

you could join the military for the traveling

The military sounds very appealing:
Free Med School
Stipend
Traveling

I thought about the army but I just can't deal with the thought of them owning me for the next 4 to 10 years (I don't know the amount of years).

The military sounds very appealing:
Free Med School
Stipend
Traveling

I thought about the army but I just can't deal with the thought of them owning me for the next 4 to 10 years (I don't know the amount of years).
the amount of time you owe depends on if you go to their school (USUHS) or not, and if not, at what point in your career (med school, residency, post-residency) you decide to join.

of course the pay in the military isn't fantastic, and you don't get to choose how much you get to work.

the amount of time you owe depends on if you go to their school (USUHS) or not, and if not, at what point in your career (med school, residency, post-residency) you decide to join.

of course the pay in the military isn't fantastic, and you don't get to choose how much you get to work.

Thanks for the info ArmyBound :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would enjoy traveling to underdeveloped countries and offering my services. I took a semester off of college and lived in a hill tribe in Thailand for six months teaching English and loved it.
I guess what I'm really looking for is freedom- I want to work hard and make a difference in the lives of others, but I also want the freedom to live out my values. Life is just too short and too precious to me to not be able to really live it to the fullest. I'd rather be the best father, best husband, and most traveled person when I die than the best at my particular career.

Each country has their own standards for medical education, training, internship, residency, licensing, etc. Traveling 'country to country' is probably a dream.

Derm- ok I will look in to that. And I know this is the MD forum and don't want to ruffle any feathers, but would a pharmacist career possibly be what I am looking for?

start a mob family like the sopranos

you get family time, no? anyone?

Derm- ok I will look in to that. And I know this is the MD forum and don't want to ruffle any feathers, but would a pharmacist career possibly be what I am looking for?
I think it would be a better option than becoming an MD. the schooling is less intensive, shorter, and will allow you to start on your career and family much earlier than medical school. You won't have crazy residency hours or anything like that, and the pay is still quite good. I've even heard of people getting school paid for + getting a salary while in school if you sign a contract with a pharmacy saying you'll work for them when you get out.

Thank you to all who replied and I wish you all the most rewarding and meaningful life possible. So far it does look like Pharm will suit my lifestyle best, unless ofcourse I can win the lotto :)