Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is my career dream a reality?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fstop, Dec 21, 2008.

1. fstop

2+ Year Member

Growing up I wanted to be a doctor-what kid doesn't at some point. But after traveling the world, working many odd jobs, and meeting some amazing people I finally know what role I want career to play in my life.

I want a career helping people, but I discovered what's really important to me in this short life on the Earth is spending as much time as possible with my family and friends, traveling to as many countries as possible, and experiencing everything the world has to offer.

My question to all of you is this: Is there any career out there in the medical or psychological field that I can work as much or as little as I want, travel whenever I wish to, and still pay enough money to provide well for my family. I don't need to be rich but I do need to be able to provide for my family.

So is my career dream a reality?

2. enjoydrywax

5+ Year Member

While I am not sure if it's possible in the field of medicine, one thing definitely is: if you really want it that bad, I am sure you'll find a way to carve a path that satisfies all your life desires.

3. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you could win the lottery...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're interested in medicine and psychology, have you considered psychiatry as a specialty? It's one of those lifestyle specialties from what I've heard from a psychiatrist I shadowed. He works roughly 40 hours a week, but he takes two weeks off at Christmas to be with the kids and another two weeks over the summer for a family vacation. I'm not sure how much time off you want or if you're interested in only working part-time or what, but it's something to consider. I'd shadow a psychiatrist, if you can, to ask more specific questions. Most of us on this forum are pre-meds so we can only pass on hearsay.

5. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Become a doctor and suck it up through med school, residency and loan repayment...save up some money then go practice leisurely in a foreign country? i dunno...are you trying to stay in the States or do you "want a career helping people" at an international level?

6. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you decide med school is the path you want to take, consider going for a masters in public or international health. Join the WHO or a charitable organization. As far as working as much or as little as you like, most docs have that option to work part time. I know a doctor who works one week a month in trauma. He's not rolling in the doe, but he's happy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. fstop

2+ Year Member

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping for a career in medicine or psychology because those are the two fields I am most interested in and my undergrad education was based in both subjects. But to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter so much how my career helps people-just that it does help people in some way.

I would happily work in a different field other than medicine or psychology if it could offer me the kind of lifestyle I hope to attain.

8. shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Others have mentioned life style options (psych) as for the traveling, perhaps you could do medical mission trips?!? I don't know anything about them, but they do involve traveling to underserved foreign areas and providing treatment. Would that fulfill your travel? Like I said...I don't know much about them...

9. WannaBePreMed

7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I applaud you for your values :)

10. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you could join the military for the traveling

11. WannaBePreMed

7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    The military sounds very appealing:
    Free Med School
    Stipend
    Traveling

I thought about the army but I just can't deal with the thought of them owning me for the next 4 to 10 years (I don't know the amount of years).

12. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    the amount of time you owe depends on if you go to their school (USUHS) or not, and if not, at what point in your career (med school, residency, post-residency) you decide to join.

of course the pay in the military isn't fantastic, and you don't get to choose how much you get to work.

13. WannaBePreMed

7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Thanks for the info ArmyBound :)

14. fstop

2+ Year Member

I would enjoy traveling to underdeveloped countries and offering my services. I took a semester off of college and lived in a hill tribe in Thailand for six months teaching English and loved it.
    I guess what I'm really looking for is freedom- I want to work hard and make a difference in the lives of others, but I also want the freedom to live out my values. Life is just too short and too precious to me to not be able to really live it to the fullest. I'd rather be the best father, best husband, and most traveled person when I die than the best at my particular career.

15. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dermatology.

16. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    perfect.

lol

17. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

Each country has their own standards for medical education, training, internship, residency, licensing, etc. Traveling 'country to country' is probably a dream.

18. fstop

2+ Year Member

Derm- ok I will look in to that. And I know this is the MD forum and don't want to ruffle any feathers, but would a pharmacist career possibly be what I am looking for?

19. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Dentistry.

20. messenger634

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    become a teacher.

21. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    start a mob family like the sopranos

you get family time, no? anyone?

22. WannaBePreMed

7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Lol, I actually want to be a teacher for a year before I become a doctor.

23. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it would be a better option than becoming an MD. the schooling is less intensive, shorter, and will allow you to start on your career and family much earlier than medical school. You won't have crazy residency hours or anything like that, and the pay is still quite good. I've even heard of people getting school paid for + getting a salary while in school if you sign a contract with a pharmacy saying you'll work for them when you get out.

24. fstop

2+ Year Member

Thank you to all who replied and I wish you all the most rewarding and meaningful life possible. So far it does look like Pharm will suit my lifestyle best, unless ofcourse I can win the lotto :)