Is my DAT score competitive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hastytx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Can someone please help me figure out which schools I need to apply to and what are my chances of getting in w/ my DAT scores and GPA ?
I graduated last May w/ a Zoology degree (3.71 GPA) and I am applying for 2010/11
I took my DAT on August 24th and here are my DAT scores:
PA:18
Bio: 20
Chem: 17
O Chem: 19
QR: 14
RC: 22
AA:18
Total Science: 19
I actually already applied to NYU, Marquette, Creighton, and U of M.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Can someone please help me figure out which schools I need to apply to and what are my chances of getting in w/ my DAT scores and GPA ?
I graduated last May w/ a Zoology degree (3.71 GPA) and I am applying for 2010/11
I took my DAT on August 24th and here are my DAT scores:
PA:18
Bio: 20
Chem: 17
O Chem: 19
QR: 14
RC: 22
AA:18
Total Science: 19
I actually already applied to NYU, Marquette, Creighton, and U of M.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Your scores seem pretty average and your QR score of 14 will probably hinder your chances to some degree, because most schools have cutoff points around 16-17. Unfortunately, the fact that you took the DAT somewhat late is also going to hurt your application to some degree. Of course, I'm not saying you don't have a chance at all. But with these stats, I think you need to apply to many more schools than what you already have.

thanks a lot for your input, any suggestions as far as the schools though??
I really don't want to retake the DAT :( and also as you said, it's sort of late....

Well you have already applied, so there is nothing you can do but to be patient and see if you get an interview and sell yourself there somehow if your ECs are very good.
Or study for a month or two and retake the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions??? please!

You need to apply to a lot more schools, probably at leaset 4 or so more. Even if that 14 in QR was a 17, 4 schools is a VERY small amount, with no room for mistakes. Your GPA is great, your DAT is average (minus the 14). Add more schools asap. That 14 will severly hurt you. If it was even just a 17, you would be in decent shape, but its not so you might have to sweat it out...

ok these are the schools I have so far:

Creighton
Marquette
NYU
Tufts
University of Illinois at Chicago
U of Minnesota
University of Southern California
Howard University
Meharry Medical College

what do you guys think of this???

I got a bad QR as well but everything else was average or above so I am just going to wait and see. If the rest of your application is solid you will probably get some interviews. I don't have time to study for the DAT and take it with enough extra studying for me to comfortably feel I can make a significant difference so I am going to wait till next summer before I take it again.

You could also call schools and let them know you are concerned and see if they think that taking the test again this cycle would do you any good.

well i would say retake within a a few weeks to a month's time. you have seen the types of questions that show up on the real thing and now you have that edge. use that your advantage. concentrate on your weaker subjects and hammer those pieces of information in your head.

hehe. you should be dreaming of ochem! =] however, your scores are about average and somewhat competitive, but you should look into seeing if you can improve your scores for a stronger profile.

best of luck to you!

ok these are the schools I have so far:

Creighton
Marquette
NYU
Tufts
University of Illinois at Chicago
U of Minnesota
University of Southern California
Howard University
Meharry Medical College

what do you guys think of this???

thats a decent amount. if the schools don't have a DAT minimum for each section, then you stand a good chance. if they have a minimum, you will have to retake.

I Called Marquette yesterday and they told me I don't need to retake the test and my scores are competitive! so, what does this mean? does this mean I am going to get an interview???? does any of you know plz?

I Called Marquette yesterday and they told me I don't need to retake the test and my scores are competitive! so, what does this mean? does this mean I am going to get an interview???? does any of you know plz?

I think what you really want is for people to say "yes" so that you can feel better. Does it really matter if Joe Schmoe who is a sophmore at America State University says "yes it means you will get an interview." I think at this point all you can do is sit back and let things unravel.

I think what you really want is for people to say "yes" so that you can feel better. Does it really matter if Joe Schmoe who is a sophmore at America State University says "yes it means you will get an interview." I think at this point all you can do is sit back and let things unravel.

americanpierg, yes you are right. I am very stressed out and nervous and I am just looking for something to make me feel better and let me sleep at night. But hey thanks a lot for being straight forward, I think that's the best advice I heard in the past few weeks. ppl are either trying to BS me and make me feel better while they don't know anything about the process or the other way around. you are right! I should just wait!

With an average AA and TS, that 14 QR is really going to stand out. You probably will have to retake. I'd wait to hear from schools first though. Best of luck.