Is my Do It Yourself Post-Bacc plan feasible?

Started by Smiler
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Smiler

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was hoping someone might provide me with some feedback as to whether my post-bacc plan is feasible, or whether I am putting too much on my plate. I've already been out of college for 5 years, so I want to get my pre-reqs done asap. Below is my schedule:

Summer session I: Chem
Summer session II: Chem II
Fall: Bio I, Physics I, Orgo I
Intercession: Physics II
Spring: Bio II, Orgo II

MCAT (take it in April, May, June, or July)- Not sure when to take it? Is it possible to study for mcat during spring semester or is that too much work? Also, how much of a disadvantage will I be at if I take July mcat?

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts.
 
anything is possible if you want it badly enough. MCAT in the spring is a better option. Be prepared to work HARD.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can study for MCAT during spring just fine if your only taking 2 classes. May would be a good time to take it the MCAT, if you wait until July it might be pretty late if your applying around that time as well.
 
what type of schedule would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
 
I naively expected to be able to do a post-bac in one year and have med school applications out at the end. After more research, it seems that even if I managed to cram it all into one year, I would be placing myself at a significant disadvantage compared to taking a 2-year approach.

Disadvantages to the crammed in, one-year postbac:

- You will likely be taking MCATs later than recommended, and you will have less time to be well prepared
- You will have to mail your med school applications later in the cycle. Having applications in the mail as early as possible is a great advantage.
- You will have less time for research and clinical experience/volunteering
- You will only have time to take the core prerequisites, or maaaaybe one or 2 electives. By taking a 2 year track, you will be able to take other important electives (biochemistry, microbiology, anatomy, neurobiology, genetics, etc.) that will enhance your application.
- You greatly increase the chances of slipping up with a bad grade