Is My MCAT score good enough for G-town? Help

Started by jackfibi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jackfibi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I plan on applying to G-town and others by the next opening date. I would like to apply to G-town but do not know if my MCAT of 26 is acceptable or not. My GPA does make up for it a bit but will they consider that or throw away my application? Help please.
 
jackfibi said:
Hi all, I plan on applying to G-town and others by the next opening date. I would like to apply to G-town but do not know if my MCAT of 26 is acceptable or not. My GPA does make up for it a bit but will they consider that or throw away my application? Help please.

I would say that if your GPA is above the class average of 3.3/3.15ish science, then you probably have a shot. Apply very early, like January to maximize your chances. I think it would help a lot though if you could retake the MCAT next April and score 27+, 30+ if possible.

However, if your GPA is at the national average for accepted med students, like 3.6/3.5sci, then what you really need is an MCAT prep course, not the SMP. It is really more for people with low GPAs and average to good MCATs. I know that they do make exceptions for people with like a 2.8 and a 37, but I don't know about the other way around, because really it is a program to compensate for a low GPA.

Hope that helped.
 
tacrum43 said:
I would say that if your GPA is above the class average of 3.3/3.15ish science, then you probably have a shot. Apply very early, like January to maximize your chances. I think it would help a lot though if you could retake the MCAT next April and score 27+, 30+ if possible.

However, if your GPA is at the national average for accepted med students, like 3.6/3.5sci, then what you really need is an MCAT prep course, not the SMP. It is really more for people with low GPAs and average to good MCATs. I know that they do make exceptions for people with like a 2.8 and a 37, but I don't know about the other way around, because really it is a program to compensate for a low GPA.

Hope that helped.

Yeah, that helped alot. My GPA is not at the national accepted for med schools and I did take an MCAT prep course, however, I scored rediculously low on verbal. It is good to know that I do have a chance in G-town though. Thanks