Is my plan good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpwelie34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just completed my 2nd year at my university. I am currently shadowing my local Dental clinic and will net a total of 64 hours by the end of this week. I plan to shadow every weekend up to around 100+ hours. In addition, I have applied to a local library as a volunteer tutor. If I get the job, I will try to also get 100+ hours. Next summer, I plan to study and take the DATs while applying to dental school. At the moment, I have a sGPA of around 3.55. I will try to pull it up over the 3.6 mark or if I can't, I will try to keep it around 3.5 at least. I have 2 LOR's so far and have done research once. I will try to net a LOR from my dentist and possibly from one more prof. Do you guys think that I am on track to my dream of becoming a dentist? Am I missing anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I've just completed my 2nd year at my university. I am currently shadowing my local Dental clinic and will net a total of 64 hours by the end of this week. I plan to shadow every weekend up to around 100+ hours. In addition, I have applied to a local library as a volunteer tutor. If I get the job, I will try to also get 100+ hours. Next summer, I plan to study and take the DATs while applying to dental school. At the moment, I have a sGPA of around 3.55. I will try to pull it up over the 3.6 mark or if I can't, I will try to keep it around 3.5 at least. I have 2 LOR's so far and have done research once. I will try to net a LOR from my dentist and possibly from one more prof. Do you guys think that I am on track to my dream of becoming a dentist? Am I missing anything?

Sneakster! Did you just throw a 'what are my chances' thread at use in the form of 'check out my plan' thread?

Looks like you're on track. Just aim high and you'll net some acceptances. I dare you to blast the DAT before next summer so you can just kick back and apply and watch those around you freak out for no reason because they're taking it after they apply.

I too support taking the DAT early as long as you score 20/21+; topscore is a pretty good indicator. Just don't score low enough to force a retake as that just creates impartiality.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too support taking the DAT early as long as you score 20/21+; topscore is a pretty good indicator. Just don't score low enough to force a retake as that just creates impartiality.

HMmm, how should I tackle the DATs before next summer? Shouldn't I prepare for it for a while (a couple of months) to score well? Also, is it bad to take the DATs cold turkey as sort of a testrun before I do prepare and take it for real?

HMmm, how should I tackle the DATs before next summer? Shouldn't I prepare for it for a while (a couple of months) to score well? Also, is it bad to take the DATs cold turkey as sort of a testrun before I do prepare and take it for real?

Um, I wouldn't recommend taking the DAT as a test run considering every school will see your initial results. A failed attempt could really impede your chances at matriculating in DS! Don't do that! Read others breakdowns in the DAT forums to start.

If I decide to take the DATs next summer when I am applying, will this make my application be considered not early which could possibly lower my acceptance %? Also, if I don't do so well on the DATS nex summer, will it be the end of me for that particular cycle until I retake the DATS?

Don't worry too much about the 'summer DAT=late' stuff. It's not true. Everyone does it and obviously people make it to dental school. Just don't wait until september or something and focus on doing well the first time.

Treat it like there is no retake option. Only you know your own study habits and abilities. If you think you're going to need 2-3 months to do your best, wait for summer. If you can do it in 4-6 weeks, take it over winter break. I think if you plan accordingly winter is doable. If you absolutely had to take it over again, you could easily do so in the summer like everyone else. But it's nice to be done.