Is my pre-pharmacy plan reasonable?

Started by dianer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dianer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really need any advices from anyone of you. How is my pre-pharmacy plan?



2008 summer--------- Chem 1 & 2

The end of August ---------TOEFL TEST ( for ESL students)

2008 fall ---------Organic Chem 1, math, Bio2, English, speech

2009 winter break---------- take PTCB test

2009 spring ---------Organic Chem 2, statistics, micro bio, history 1, government 1

2009 summer---------- take PCAT , Apply early admissions

2009 fall ----------physics, history 2, government 2, philosophy, economics


2010 spring ---------Classes for backup application: A&P 2, Physic2. prepare interview
 
unless you are already good in chemistry i suggest taking it during the fall/spring.
you'll need that info for the pcat.
and remember you can take core prereqs the summer before you start pharm school. i'd cut back on the orgo2/micro semester.
 
Aren't you the one with the baby? I had a similar schedule without kids and I thought it was challenging. I can't imagine having time for a baby with all that going on... what's the rush? Take less classes, spend more time with your baby and enjoy the pre-pharm experience 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks tough to me. If I were you, I would take time and take less classes per semester (unless you are very good at everything).
 
whats that ESL test?

I personally had took ESL english on my undergrad first few years only to find out that ESL english wasn't accepted to the pharmacy school I'm considering applying to.
Now I have to take regular english for a year because of that.
You should check the pharmacy school your applying to, that require what pre-reqs
 
Aren't you the one with the baby? I had a similar schedule without kids and I thought it was challenging. I can't imagine having time for a baby with all that going on... what's the rush? Take less classes, spend more time with your baby and enjoy the pre-pharm experience 🙂
yes, I am. I won't wast time again since I'm already 33. But I'm always wondering, as you mentionded, whether I should take less classes per semester and enjoy my baby and the pre-pharmacy experience. that's why I posted the plan.

Fortunately, my parents will live with us. They want to spend their time with the baby and help me do the housework. They hope my dream can come true.
 
You can take both gen chems in one summer? That seems rushed to me.

Yes, most schools have two summer sessions I believe. The formulas are not that hard to memorize, and besides most people nowadays have TI-83 Calculators and know the magical power of them, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Unfortunately, I got stuck with a professor who loved significant figures, and with my habits of rounding up all numbers to whole numbers(It's easier on the eyes.), I got a lot of points taken off.
 
whats that ESL test?

I personally had took ESL english on my undergrad first few years only to find out that ESL english wasn't accepted to the pharmacy school I'm considering applying to.
Now I have to take regular english for a year because of that.
You should check the pharmacy school your applying to, that require what pre-reqs
I will not take ESl class, but TOEFL test.
 
My opinion... don't rush it. I rushed through 2 yrs worth of pre-pharm in 1 yr because I thought I'm old and I need to. In the grand scheme of things, though, taking an extra year to do my pre-reqs would not have been that bad... so I would be 31 when I start pharm school instead of 30... when I really think about it... does it matter? (Well, except for the years worth of money I would be missing out on for graduating a year later.) But I don't have kids and I have a husband who is never home so taking so many classes every semester worked for me... it kept me busy. I always took no less than 18 credit hours. It takes up a lot of your time, especially when taking classes with labs. I always felt like I didn't have enough time and I would be so cranky all the time. If you think you can handle it, go for it, but just think, you can never get that time back with your baby, and it will definitely take time away from him/her. Good luck!
 
My opinion... don't rush it. I rushed through 2 yrs worth of pre-pharm in 1 yr because I thought I'm old and I need to. In the grand scheme of things, though, taking an extra year to do my pre-reqs would not have been that bad... so I would be 31 when I start pharm school instead of 30... when I really think about it... does it matter? (Well, except for the years worth of money I would be missing out on for graduating a year later.) But I don't have kids and I have a husband who is never home so taking so many classes every semester worked for me... it kept me busy. I always took no less than 18 credit hours. It takes up a lot of your time, especially when taking classes with labs. I always felt like I didn't have enough time and I would be so cranky all the time. If you think you can handle it, go for it, but just think, you can never get that time back with your baby, and it will definitely take time away from him/her. Good luck!

Thanks for your opinion, It's true that I can never get the time back with my baby, if I miss it. It's sure that I will be cranky too , when I take the classes. No matter how many they are.
 
looks good, but take more science classes. The bare minimum will rarely get you an interview.
 
The only thing on your schedule that looks :scared: and 😱 to me is your summer Gen Chem 1 and 2. I didn't know schools even did that, I always assumed Gen Chem 1 HAD to go before Chem 2. I'd give that some serious thought before doing it unless you are good with chem.

It depends on the school but here are the classes I'll be doing in the 3 years prior to (hopefully) pharm school.

Freshman Comp (english 1)
Intermediate Comp (english 2)
Junior Comp (english 3)
Gen Chem 1
Gen Chem 2
Cell Biology w/lab
Calculus
Trigonometry
Human Anatomy w/lab
Organic Chemistry 1
Organic Chemistry 2
Microbiology w/lab
Zoology w/lab (mammalian physiology??)
Communication (public speaking)
Physics 1
Physics 2
18 General Humanities or Social Sciences

That's the bare minimums really, I'm adding in classes that will be needed for if I don't get accepted and continue on for a B.A. and then reapply. You should look at some higher classes such as biochem also.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to know what your chemistry background is (What classes have you taken in chemistry in the past?)

Chem 1 and 2 takes a lot of time, I just finished chemistry 2, so I took them in the fall and spring semster, and it was a lot of work and studying.

In addition, if you have a strong math and science background, then the schedule you have posted would still take a lot of time and dedication.

At the end, I think it is better to take a year longer with a higher gpa, than to finish everything with a low gpa.
 
The only thing on your schedule that looks :scared: and 😱 to me is your summer Gen Chem 1 and 2. I didn't know schools even did that, I always assumed Gen Chem 1 HAD to go before Chem 2. I'd give that some serious thought before doing it unless you are good with chem.

It depends on the school but here are the classes I'll be doing in the 3 years prior to (hopefully) pharm school.

Freshman Comp (english 1)
Intermediate Comp (english 2)
Junior Comp (english 3)
Gen Chem 1
Gen Chem 2
Cell Biology w/lab
Calculus
Trigonometry
Human Anatomy w/lab
Organic Chemistry 1
Organic Chemistry 2
Microbiology w/lab
Zoology w/lab (mammalian physiology??)
Communication (public speaking)
Physics 1
Physics 2
18 General Humanities or Social Sciences

That's the bare minimums really, I'm adding in classes that will be needed for if I don't get accepted and continue on for a B.A. and then reapply. You should look at some higher classes such as biochem also.

Sorry for confusing you, the school has two summer sessions. We can take one Chem during each one month sesion .
And thanks for sharing your classes list. I think I should slow down and take more Science classes .
 
I would like to know what your chemistry background is (What classes have you taken in chemistry in the past?)

Chem 1 and 2 takes a lot of time, I just finished chemistry 2, so I took them in the fall and spring semster, and it was a lot of work and studying.

In addition, if you have a strong math and science background, then the schedule you have posted would still take a lot of time and dedication.

At the end, I think it is better to take a year longer with a higher gpa, than to finish everything with a low gpa.

I took Chem 1 long time ago. Though I enjoyed Chem 1 and math, but I can't say I have a strong math and science background. you are right, it's better to take a year longer.
 
That's ok, that makes sense then. 🙂 BTW, I don't have a strong math or science background either. What I do have though is the strong desire to succeed and the ability to work hard. That's what you really need. 👍