Is my premed school good enough?

Started by justin984
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Justin,

You are a freshman, sophmore, junior? Take as many of the prereq's as you can now will you are still and undergrad. Get them out of the way.

IMHO, Mary Hardin Baylor is a good school...(But I like Baylor in Waco better..GO BEARS!!! Yep, I'm biased 😛)

If you are on financial aid or your parents are paying for college, why put yourself through the trauma of having to apply for loans, or sponge of the 'rents, OR even worse WORK to pay for a post bac?

What is you overall GPA? What is you science GPA? What is your BCPM GPA? The BCPM GPA includes all biology, chemistry, math and physics classes you have taken in college.

Just keep your GPA high, do well on the MCAT and go the traditional route. Only do the post bac if you really have to.

Unless your GPA is really, really low, you'll do okay.

Your lucky to be a Texas resident. Texas has some of the lowest med school tuition in the country for state residents and the 7 medical schools are pretty good (especially UTSW, but again , I am biased!!! 😛 )


If you post more of your stats and info in the post bac forum (or here), some of the smarter guys will be glad to look them over and help you out.

(p.s. I think cs is harder than pre-med, but don't tell anyone in here I said that or I'll deny it!!! :laugh: )

PM if you need more help....

Agape
 
justin984 said:
lol, thanks for the reply. Actually I'm transfering to UMHB this coming fall from a junior college. I'll start as a junior. My GPA is a 3.8 at the junior college and I dont expect it to drop much after I transfer (Always been a good student aka nerd). I dont have a science gpa yet as I havnt started on any of the prereqs. You pretty much answered my question though... I was just concerned whether or not UMHB was a good enough school. Thanks!!
-Justin

3.8??? Wow, good job.... Keep it at or over 3.7 and you will probably end up at Harvard, Duke or Cornell!!! 😛

(But again I like UTSW.... 😀)

Enjoy yourself at UMHB, but don't party TOO much or you will end up an "old" pre-med, post-bac like me.....No, I'm not bitter :meanie:

Do well in those pre-req's.

Check out this site. It will give you lots of "offical" information:

http://www.aamc.org/

Agape