Is my research experience mediocre?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been in a research lab at my school for almost 3 years (started August 2009). I started off as kind of a trainee and became more and more independent as time went on. As it stands, my PI and I have kind of a mutual agreement that I can do whatever I want as long as I don't burn down the lab.

My worry is that my experience isn't diverse enough. I see people do summer programs or rotate labs but I have always stuck to this lab and field. Is only have one PI and one dedicated research experience good or bad for me?

Also, I know publications are not too important but I don't really have that much to show for my research since our results have never been anything worth presenting. So, I have only been to one small symposium and a few small grants to show for myself. Is this a weak point in my application as well?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My worry is that my experience isn't diverse enough. I see people do summer programs or rotate labs but I have always stuck to this lab and field. Is only have one PI and one dedicated research experience good or bad for me?

It's fine. There's no reason to get experience in multiple labs if you enjoy your one lab experience.

Also, I know publications are not too important but I don't really have that much to show for my research since our results have never been anything worth presenting. So, I have only been to one small symposium and a few small grants to show for myself. Is this a weak point in my application as well?

No.