Is my school list too top-heavy: NJ, ORM, MCAT: 1st: 515, 2nd: 518(131, 124, 132, 131), cGPA: 3.98

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peacepro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • GPA: cGPA and sGPA both 3.9x in Cell Biology
  • MCAT: 518 (131/124/132/131) on 2nd attempt
  • Residence: NJ
  • Ethnicity/race: Asian
  • Undergraduate institution: T10 non-ivy, Traditional
  • Clinical experience:
    • Volunteer EMT: 250 hours by application submission, continuing during senior year(Sophomore year- current)
    • Volunteer Hospice: 50-60 hours by application submission, continuing during senior year(Junior Year-current)
  • Research experience:
    • One lab for 2 years, about 150 hours
    • One publication/poster in works
  • Shadowing: all of my shadowing is within the last year which I recognize is not the best
    • 36 hours at a Schizophrenia Psych Ward at JHU med
    • 22 hours virtual "shadowing" across many specialties
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 200 hours: Co-founded an organization to help inner-city kids with college applications(May 2020-Onwards)
    • 100 hours: President of a Community Service Org(Member since Freshman year)
    • 100 hours: APO(a service fraternity) --> focused volunteering in a geriatric care home(Member since Freshman year)
    • 100 hours: During the COVID summer 2020, I would deliver groceries to individuals who were at high risk. I also gave online presentations about EMS to my local senior center home
  • Other extracurriculars
    • TA for 1 semester for Cell Biology
    • 350 hours: President for Religious Org(Member since freshman year)
    • 120 hours: Tutor for Calculus II + Orgo
  • Honors or awards
    • Dean's List every semester
  • School list: I have 25 schools. I would like to apply to 30 total. Any to take away or add?
    • All 3 NJ MD schools
    • Einstein
    • Icahn at Mt Sinai
    • Hofstra
    • Boston University
    • Case Western
    • Emory
    • Stanford
    • Ohio State
    • NYU
    • Vandy
    • Cornell
    • UCSF
    • Rochester
    • Thomas Jefferson
    • Seton Hall
    • Wake Forest
    • University of Maryland
    • University of Pittsburgh
    • NYMC
    • Quinnipiac
    • Tufts
    • George Washington

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Western Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user
Good application and good list. You have a strong shot at your NJ state schools and a good amount of mid-tiers. So after that you can aim high. Might as well add Sinai and Columbia to complete the manhattan squad. You could also look into Cincinnati, Vermont, Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good application and good list. You have a strong shot at your NJ state schools and a good amount of mid-tiers. So after that you can aim high. Might as well add Sinai and Columbia to complete the manhattan squad. You could also look into Cincinnati, Vermont, Temple.
Thank you for the feedback! What would you consider to be a mid-tier?

Thank you for the feedback! What would you consider to be a mid-tier?
Rochester, OSU, Einstein, Jefferson, Maryland etc.

Overall you have a good amount of schools where you have a solid shot of interviewing, so it's okay to have some reaches after that.