1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

is my science GPA too low to do a postbacc program?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Omidjoon, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Omidjoon

Omidjoon Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm not too familiar with what it is, but from what I hear it is for people whose Science GPA's are too low, or for people who did not complete the pre-reqs during their bachelors degree, and I think i'm in the catagory that fits both. my science GPA is a 2.4 or 2.6 (depending on my o-chem 1 class). however my nonscience GPA is a 4.0... (i'm a history major/pre-med). I am thinking about holding off the pre-med until after college, because maybe its a maturity thing, or maybe it is because i am not good at the sciences. I was wondering if it will even be possible for me to do a postbacc program...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You can take postbacc classes anywhere, it doesn't have to be in a formal SMP type program. There are a lot of postbacc students at UT Dallas, UT Arlington, UNT, etc. You can take the rest of your pre-reqs there.

4. Spooner

Spooner Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

It is easier to do postbacc anywhere unless you are working fulltime. In that case, you might only have one choice, that is community college courses.

How do you think about Collin CCC and Dallas CCC?

5. sidewalkman

10+ Year Member

There's a person on here somewhere who had a very low (~2.3) science GPA, but had an overall GPA of around 3.5... and that person got into Penn Special Science. So it's not impossible to qualify for a formal, upper-level postbac. Or the rest of your prereqs can be done informally at any nomber of places.

6. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Collin CCC is generally respected in the DFW health care community. El Centro (part of Dallas CCC) has ties to UTSW through the EMT program. But I would go with a 4 yr school if I were you, Omid.