is my science GPA too low to do a postbacc program?

Started by Omidjoon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Omidjoon

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not too familiar with what it is, but from what I hear it is for people whose Science GPA's are too low, or for people who did not complete the pre-reqs during their bachelors degree, and I think i'm in the catagory that fits both. my science GPA is a 2.4 or 2.6 (depending on my o-chem 1 class). however my nonscience GPA is a 4.0... (i'm a history major/pre-med). I am thinking about holding off the pre-med until after college, because maybe its a maturity thing, or maybe it is because i am not good at the sciences. I was wondering if it will even be possible for me to do a postbacc program...
 
You can take postbacc classes anywhere, it doesn't have to be in a formal SMP type program. There are a lot of postbacc students at UT Dallas, UT Arlington, UNT, etc. You can take the rest of your pre-reqs there.
 
chaeymaey said:
You can take postbacc classes anywhere, it doesn't have to be in a formal SMP type program. There are a lot of postbacc students at UT Dallas, UT Arlington, UNT, etc. You can take the rest of your pre-reqs there.

It is easier to do postbacc anywhere unless you are working fulltime. In that case, you might only have one choice, that is community college courses.

How do you think about Collin CCC and Dallas CCC?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a person on here somewhere who had a very low (~2.3) science GPA, but had an overall GPA of around 3.5... and that person got into Penn Special Science. So it's not impossible to qualify for a formal, upper-level postbac. Or the rest of your prereqs can be done informally at any nomber of places.
 
Spooner said:
It is easier to do postbacc anywhere unless you are working fulltime. In that case, you might only have one choice, that is community college courses.

How do you think about Collin CCC and Dallas CCC?
Collin CCC is generally respected in the DFW health care community. El Centro (part of Dallas CCC) has ties to UTSW through the EMT program. But I would go with a 4 yr school if I were you, Omid.