tam2688

tam2688
Jul 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hi guys,
I just finished my 2nd year of undergrad. I realized I wanted to do optometry at the end of my 1st year, so I am feeling I "lost" my first year of time because I have started my research on optometry schools, looking for shadowing, just a few months ago.

My major is biology and I have gotten good grades in all of them - I spent first year finishing liberal arts requirements and biology classes. I started chemistry at my university but was having some difficulty with the time and schedule as well as the pace - I took it at a city community college because I did not want to lose more time and did well in Chemistry I. I am about to take chemistry II at the community college start August this summer. I am also going to start the calculus sequence and fit in statistics at the end of the year.

SO, if everything works out, I should be done with the following requirements:
Biology and Labratory
General Chemistry
Statistics
Psychology (done)
Social Science (Done: Sociology)
Recommended: cell biology, anatomy, physiology, public speaking (done)

But that is only by 3rd year of undergrad. That means I will need my 4th year to finish:
Organic chemistry ** As per my experience with general chemistry at my univeristy, I will have to take organic at the community college as well.
microbiology (required by ICO, I don't know about others)
Physics

I am very much worried about my timing. I know I should have taken biology and chemistry concurrently my first year, but to be honest I found chemistry to be very hard at my university so I did it at a semester system to understand it better (my university is at a quarter system).

I know you are supposed to apply your 3rd year? Well I absolutely cannot. What should I do? (I am supposed to graduate in 2011) Should I use this year, my 3rd year to finish the classes I have listed for my 3rd year and continue shadowing? Will 2 chemistry sequences at a community college hurt my chances? I have thought I am already behind in the competitiveness because if it, and it makes me feel very negative about my chances. I am still trying though because all my other courses are at at my university and I have done well.

Should I apply my 4th year? If so, can I apply even though I won't be donw with the organic chemistry and physics sequence until June 2011?

I know I am late and I feel so bad about it. Would you recommend I study the OAT from the middle of my 4th year?

If I am only done completely with my prerequisites by June 2011, and I decided to apply before I finished all my courses, what month should I apply? If i decided to finish all my courses, what time should I apply? When should I take the OAT?

I am sorry this is long, I am just very confused about my timing and when I should do what. Please give me your feedback.

Thanks

Last edited:

jymezg

SCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Memphus, TN
Status
Optometry Student
Should have read this one first, my b.

Yes you can apply without all your prereqs done. The only stipulation is you must have all prereqs before school starts. Is it advisable.... eh....remember you will need a good OAT score, I'd recommend having orgo and physics under your belt before tackleing the OAT.

You should apply AS SOON AS THEY START ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. Most schools use rolling admissions, so the sooner you apply the better.

For your situation:
Finish up in June, spend a few weeks on the OAT...then Nail it. While still in school get OD shadowing in whenever you can, get the LOR's, ect. Then you should be able to apply July or early August.

OpticalBlackOut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
Status
Optometrist
With all these questions in mind, I think it's much more helpful if you visited your college counselor. It seems like most of your concerns are about timing and when to apply, which can probably be better addressed by professionals such as your advisors.

Otherwise, know that there are plenty of non-traditional applicants. I took a year off after undergrad to apply, and it has been one of the best years of my life (not rushing to study for the OATs, taking my time on apps, working and shadowing...traveling and meeting up with friends before another 4 years)

OP
tam2688

tam2688

tam2688
Jul 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Optometry
Thanks guys, I feel though I have lost a year already and it would be nice to take some time only for applications but I want to get into optometry school after college, I will try my best.

eheaps

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
Applying without having everything done is not a problem. I just finished an online anatomy course to fill that credit for NOVA and I start in two weeks. The issue you might run into is the OAT, though, as that has physics and orgo on it and you might have some trouble with that if you didn't learn the material. Might not hurt to apply one year later, which isn't a bad thing. Hopefully you can have it figured out.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
NYC
Status
Optometry Student
You mentioned that you're "late"... late compared to whom? The average entering age for first year optometry students is 24. :thumbup:

What I would recommend is NOT taking physics and organic at the same time. Take one sequence this upcoming year, then take the other during your fourth year. You DON'T need to remember gen chem to do well in organic, so don't worry about not taking them in a row. You can also consider taking one of those sequences over next summer. It might put a damper on your summer, but it's well worth it to get one of those sequences out of the way.

I was in a similar situation as you (switched majors 3 semesters in and had to play catch up). I didn't take an extra year and was able to get everything in to be able to apply after 3rd year. PM me if you want more info.

OP
tam2688

tam2688

tam2688
Jul 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Optometry
thank you everyone - your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Blysssful, you are a great help on this forum, thanks for being there :). I agree with getting one over with during the summer. Since I love the physics department at my university, it will have to be organic that will be done in the summer. I will definately pm you, I appreciate your help.

OP
tam2688

tam2688

tam2688
Jul 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Optometry
blysssful, it's true, you deserve the praise :). I will be starting school soon for Fall, and will have many questions, thanks to you and all of these great folks I feel good advice is nearby.