Is my younger brother competitive at top United States medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway6482748

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first time on the student doctor network so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong thread or discussion. I am currently a medical student, but not in the United States. My younger brother is with my parents in the United States and applying to medical school there this cycle. He has been asking me some questions about what schools he should apply to and I do not really have any answers. I'm wondering if anybody can help me give him some guidance. I obviously understand that his application is pretty outrageous but I just don't know what tier of schools he will be competitive for since I have never applied to medical school in the United States. Could anybody tell me what kind of schools he would be competitive at? And perhaps a list of schools that would be good to apply to? He said he submitted his primary application with a few schools on it already and he should be verified soon.

Here is a short summary of his application that he sent me:

State of Residence: Ohio
Undergrad: T20 research school
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 524 (131/131/130/132)
Research: 1000+ hours (including 1st-author publication in a mid-tier journal, honors thesis, and a few more publications in progress)
Clinical: 1000+ hours (MA, scribe, basic stuff)
Non-clinical: 1000+ hours (including AmeriCorps, starting his own nonprofit, and various other small things)
Shadowing: ~150 hours in various specialties

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with his 4.0 GPA and MCAT of 524.
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Harvard
Yale
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
UCLA
USC Keck
Stanford
Mayo (both schools)

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with his 4.0 GPA and MCAT of 524.
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Harvard
Yale
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
UCLA
USC Keck
Stanford
Mayo (both schools)
Thank you so much! I'll send that list over to him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. This is my first time on the student doctor network so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong thread or discussion. I am currently a medical student, but not in the United States. My younger brother is with my parents in the United States and applying to medical school there this cycle. He has been asking me some questions about what schools he should apply to and I do not really have any answers. I'm wondering if anybody can help me give him some guidance. I obviously understand that his application is pretty outrageous but I just don't know what tier of schools he will be competitive for since I have never applied to medical school in the United States. Could anybody tell me what kind of schools he would be competitive at? And perhaps a list of schools that would be good to apply to? He said he submitted his primary application with a few schools on it already and he should be verified soon.

Here is a short summary of his application that he sent me:

State of Residence: Ohio
Undergrad: T20 research school
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 524 (131/131/130/132)
Research: 1000+ hours (including 1st-author publication in a mid-tier journal, honors thesis, and a few more publications in progress)
Clinical: 1000+ hours (MA, scribe, basic stuff)
Non-clinical: 1000+ hours (including AmeriCorps, starting his own nonprofit, and various other small things)
Shadowing: ~150 hours in various specialties

Thank you so much in advance!
Any med school is his. He should aim high.

Emory, Baylor, Western MI, BU, Einstein, UTxSW, U WI, SUNY.SB and Keck should also be on the list above

Any med school is his. He should aim high.

Emory, Baylor, Western MI, BU, Einstein, UTxSW, U WI, SUNY.SB and Keck should also be on the list above
Thank you so much! I will tell him to aim high and add those schools to the list.

Reactions: 1 user