Is NEOUCOM a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughtfulness

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends at SDN, I need your advice. I have pretty decent stats and I think I will be able to get into NEOUCOM. However, is it even a good program? Can you apply out of the med school? I appreciate all the advice guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol can you apply out of the NEOUCOM program? Like to a different med school after you complete the ug..

He's talking about the 6-year BS/MD program. As far as I know, if you apply out, then you lose your saved spot at NEOUCOM.

If you apply out you lose your spot? Damn.....

If you apply out you lose your spot? Damn.....

I probably shouldn't say how much I hate threads like this. If you're lucky enough to be accepted to a BS/MD program, why would you ever want to risk a guaranteed MD spot by applying to other schools?? Trust me when I say that the application process sucks. I'd trade it for a guaranteed acceptance via BS/MD at any MD school in a heartbeat.

O aight man thanks for the insight. You don't have to get pissed off on the internet. I'm just not sure if I want to go here when I MIGHT be able to get into a top 10 med school.

O aight man thanks for the insight. You don't have to get pissed off on the internet. I'm just not sure if I want to go here when I MIGHT be able to get into a top 10 med school.

I'm not a man. And I'm not pissed, just adding my opinion. Personally, the chance for me of getting into a top ten school that would give you the same degree as any other med school isn't worth giving up a guaranteed acceptance. But, as I say, it's a personal decision. For some people it might be worth it.

Aight girl, my bad, and I agree with you. I'll prolly be going to NEOUCOM.

I would stick to the BS/MD route especially if the tuition is reasonable (and usually people in these programs get scholarships).

Take it from someone who just barely survived the last app cycle. It takes a lot of time and money to get into a school, not to mention the amount of waiting involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
depending on how school is going you could always enroll in the BS/MD and then drop the acceptance after your second year of the BS if you still want to apply out. otherwise, keep the BS/MD and be a dr. 2 years sooner.

however, your application really should be darn near perfect if you really want a "top 10". see NickNaylor's profile and adjust your expectations accordingly.

With this program, you'd be doing your pre-reqs at Kent State, University of Akron, or Youngstown State, and to be honest, you're chances at a top 10 school from any of these places wouldn't be too high. Now, if you were doing UG at Oberlin or Case, that'd be different. If I were you, I'd take the NEOUCOM spot

I can easily get into Case pre med? Is that a good route>? I thought Case was just average.

I can easily get into Case pre med? Is that a good route>? I thought Case was just average.

IMHO, Oberlin>>>Case

First, you need to figure out if you want to do a BS/MD program or not (there are many, many posts on SDN that discuss the pros and cons at length), and if so, figure out if NEOUCOM would be a good fit

I want to but i wanna get into a top residency. will neoucom get me that?

I want a top residency because 1. I want to make a lot of money. 2. I want to be the top at what I do.

Wait, does residency even correlate to salary?

I want a top residency because 1. I want to make a lot of money. 2. I want to be the top at what I do.

Part 1, your residency doesn't affect your ability to make money. However, most graduates of top residencies end-up in academics, and consequently, these individuals will make far less money than their counterparts who went to less prestigious residencies and chose to go into private practice

Part 2, going to a top residency does not preclude your from being the best in your field, but it doesn't hurt.

Does NEOUCOM have a good match list? Not really. Does that mean you won't be able to land a ‘top' residency? Not necessarily. At the end of the day, your ability to land a top residency depends on your STEP I score, your clinical grades, your personality, your research, and to extent, your medical school.

To play devil's advocate, how are you sure you would be able to get into a top med school? How do you know you won't do poorly on your prereqs or on the MCAT? How do you know you won't change your mind about med school in college? How do you know you won't want to do family practice instead of some other specialty? Point is, figure out if you want to do the 6 year NEOUCOM program because you want to go to med school. If you are unsure if you want to become a physician or if you are unsure if you want to go to NEOUCOM, don't apply; I'm sure they get plenty of applicants

lol. 75% of their seats are prefilled with "kids" doing the BS/MD program. Everyone is competing for 20-40 seats. Your better off trying for wright state. NEOUCOM is poop, their MSAR is somewhat embarrassing.

lol. 75% of their seats are prefilled with "kids" doing the BS/MD program. Everyone is competing for 20-40 seats. Your better off trying for wright state. NEOUCOM is poop, their MSAR is somewhat embarrassing.

How so?

I glanced it earlier today while I was at the library. I don't have the exact numbers on me at the time, but the MCAT range was pretty low and their matches were so-so in comparison to other state schools. -- Edit: If i'm not mistaken its the worst statwise, other than the historically black MD schools. But it is to be expected, given it's predominant 6 year BS/MD program. I wouldn't be ready for the MCAT as a sophomore either.

I glanced it earlier today while I was at the library. I don't have the exact numbers on me at the time, but the MCAT range was pretty low and their matches were so-so in comparison to other state schools. -- Edit: If i'm not mistaken its the worst statwise, other than the historically black MD schools. But it is to be expected, given it's predominant 6 year BS/MD program. I wouldn't be ready for the MCAT as a sophomore either.

Are those MCAT scores (the ones for students in the combined program) included in the averages?

You'll typically find that schools with a BS/MD program may have a lower MCAT if the majority of their students are coming from the BS/MD program. The reason is that BS/MD programs usually just require a minimum MCAT score to remain in the program so the students don't actually try. I think the minimum at NEOUCOM is a 24 (very low) and the vast majority of their students are BS/MD. There's really no incentive for the students to do any better...would they would have done better or not in the general application pool? I have no idea.

Their match list isn't awesome in comparison to the other Ohio schools and quite a lot of the people stay in the area for residency. It is probably the least known school in Ohio if you care about that. If you get into the BS/MD program, I'd do it if you know you want to pursue medicine. Guaranteed acceptance is good and you can always do the 7 year program if you don't want to college part to be so crammed.

Yeah, I'll prolly do it 6 year. I wanna be a doctor and being a doctor will guarntee you a 6 figure salary. No one needs more money than that. Thanks for the advice guys, you're all awesome. If I asked this on College Confidential, they would prolly make fun of me or something.

2. I want to be the top at what I do.

Going to NEOUCOM will not put you near the top of medical students. But there are ways to raise your status, so to speak, like taking a fellowship. In addition, you have to ask yourself how bad of a student in a traditional undergrad you might be. I know folks who turned down BA/MD programs and ended up dropping premed altogether when they couldn't handle the required coursework at a traditional undergrad.

Well, If I do a traditional route I'm fairly sure I can pull a 3.8+ GPA and an MCAT of 35+

I understand that, but it really can't be THAT different from highschool. I mean, a class is a class and I'm commited to getting an A.

Lol, yeah you're right. However, I go to a pretty competitive high school and I have a 4.0 unweighted gpa. I will work my balls off to get a 3.8+ I guarantee it.

Lol, yeah you're right. However, I go to a pretty competitive high school and I have a 4.0 unweighted gpa. I will work my balls off to get a 3.8+ I guarantee it.

If you can *guarantee* that, go to a better school than one of the NEOUs, and don't look back. 1) Longer liberal arts educations are valuable. 2) Bigger name schools will help you get into better med schools.

If you disagree with 1 and 2, or cannot guarantee you'll do well at a traditional undergrad, then go to NEOUCOM and don't look back.

Bottom line, decide and don't look back.

Wait till you discover girls... changes that outlook fast haha.
I mean that in a positive way... you're embarking on a RIDICULOUSLY long educational path. Enjoy yourself. You're motivation is admirable, but it can be really easy to burn yourself out too early. I've watched it happen to more than a few.
Anyway, good luck to you!

Lol, yeah you're right. I appreciate the advice!

Last edited:
You have a lot of learning and growing up to do, OP.

His motives are a bit screwy, but at least he's honest about it.. instead of the types who say they want to be Paul Farmer but plan on being the Gordon Gekkos of medicine.

OP, if you just want a 6 figure income why not go engineering or business and then mba...maybe by the time you are able to get ur mba you aldy climbed up the corporate ladder so high you wont even need it.

His motives are a bit screwy, but at least he's honest about it.. instead of the types who say they want to be Paul Farmer but plan on being the Gordon Gekkos of medicine.

Honesty is fine, but people need to realize that medicine isn't the right field if you want to get rich fast, or if finances are your only end game. You'll end up chasing a prize that may never come or become dissatisfied with your position or worse become disillusioned about the profession. There's plenty of other professions with stronger finances these days; maybe not the same job security, but greater earning potential. "Being top at what you do" should always be a goal, but it comes off extremely arrogant and entitled to think that his undergrad is going to play a huge impact on his residency, and from where he is now he's going to be the top.

But that's fine. The application cycle is a humbling process, and hopefully instills a sense of modesty and gratefulness in some people (as I'm sure school and GME do as well).

lol am I the only one noticing how toolish the OP is??

..... Definitely get near a 4.0
..... Definitely get 35+ MCAT
..... Want to make the most money possible

none of the questions hover around, "will this school give me the research opportunities that suit my interests in discovery, will it provide me with the correct patient population I am interested in" ...
OP i know that you are young and thus somewhat immature, and for that I can see why you reasoning for medicine is slightly warped, however if you are looking for the big bucks, go get an MBA and own a hospital, not work in one.

lol am I the only one noticing how toolish the OP is??

..... Definitely get near a 4.0
..... Definitely get 35+ MCAT
..... Want to make the most money possible

none of the questions hover around, "will this school give me the research opportunities that suit my interests in discovery, will it provide me with the correct patient population I am interested in" ...
OP i know that you are young and thus somewhat immature, and for that I can see why you reasoning for medicine is slightly warped, however if you are looking for the big bucks, go get an MBA and own a hospital, not work in one.

In my book, calling yourself a medical student before med school has started is 'toolish.'

I think the OP is 17 and has a warped perception of the world; I would hardly consider that to be toolish

didn't think that way at 17 so I can't relate like you Brach. thanks for that though.

I just want to be rich thats why i wanna be a doctor. Also i want hot chicks. If anyone has a problem: **** yourselves.