Is NYU THAT bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timelyjeez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Among all schools, I was most impressed by NYU; the facility, nice faculty, strong curriculum, and it's in NYC!
However, everyone I talked to, especially on this forum, people think only losers go to NYU?
That's why I decided not to go there, but I cannot give up that school!
Is it really a bad idea to go to NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa :eek: You really shouldn't base your decision on what is said on this forum about NYU. It is true, that there are rumors, but most of them, if not all, are just that - rumors.

I am one of the ones that happen to think that NYU is an amazing school.
Granted, it did have it's bad times, but there's been a new dean trying to re-direct the school's vision and image overall. The sense I got from the students that go there is that they are moving in the right direction and all the decisions that are being made take into account what students have to say about them.

If I were you, I would reconsider your choice to not go to NYU based on here-say. Go where you felt the best at and where you think you'll have the best experience overall. That is my advice to you.

Good luck!:thumbup:

keep in mind a lot of the "bashing" of schools on here is just bullsh*t coming from people who are completely biased towards other places. there is nothing wrong with NYU. I have a very close friend who is a D1 there now and said he couldn't be happier. Many assume that b/c its such a big school that its very easy to get into or a "safety" school. not so. There is no such thing as a safety school anymore. NYU has been turning away many highly numerically qualified applicants. Dont base your decision on what people say on here. I mean, i made a poll getting peoples feel on NYU vs. Detroit-Mercy. Am I going to use that to influence my decision...no. I'm just doing it to see if people bring up something that I had previously forgotten. Go where you feel comfortable. The vast majority of the people on SDN who bash NYU didn't even bother applying so they really have no right to say anything bad about the school. It's a school that is going to make you go get the opportunities afforded to you. Nobody will hold your hand...you will get out what you put in. Make the decision based on how you feel and take people's opinions on SDN with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
errr...i believe this forum is bashing NYU because a lot of people with high stats got rejected while people with good but lower stats got accepted. I personally hated NYU for rejecting me but now i'm over it...life goes on :thumbup:

Yes I understand people w/ high stats got rejected, but there are plenty who also got accepted...just look at pre-dents. As I'm sure you are well aware, high stats arent everything...a school can reject you for a variety of reasons...whether they be fair or unfair. I just dont think NYU is the safety school everyone things...many people who have interviewed have had nothing but good things to say about the school. I'm only debating b/t there and detroit mercy b/c UDM is closer and smaller...but I dont think its a "better" school by any means. Hell, if all goes well Marquette and Creighton will come through in the next couple weeks and i'll get in there..but if they dont..and I turn down UDM for NYU...i know I will have made a good choice. Just getting into dental school is an accomplishment in and of itself.

NYU is probably one of the better schools nationwide:

It ranks on average fourth or fifth in the NIH fundings. Would NIH give it money if it were a reck.

Secondly, clinically it is awesome: 300,000 patient visits a year. Students stay till 8:00 p.m. treating patients

NYC baby!

Look I got in but I am still undecided, either way I do acknowledge that it is one of the best schools

It ranks on average fourth or fifth in the NIH fundings. Would NIH give it money if it were a reck.

A large reason why NYU receives such a large funding is because it is one of, if not, the largest dental institution in the nation with a ginormous patient pool. It also attracts some of the best minds as a result and also because it is located in the heart of NYC.

NYU D-school is close to many hospitals, such as the VA, NYU medical school, Bellvue etc. Many of the doctors in these hospitals conduct research at the dental school. In addition, we attract a lot of patients from these institutions to be part of research studies.

this is just another post on NYU bashing. Most ppl if not all that talk trash about NYU do so because they couldn't get in, its one of the best schools nationwide and why goto a school that is "great" when no one has heard of it, keep that in mind and if u interviewed there and saw the facility iam sure you were impressed. I sure was, and thats why iam pro NYU ;)

All I have to say is EH. A lot of people here say bad things about NYU, BUT they're all pre-dents. What do they know about the school? I wouldn't worry too much about what the people say here.

Just because they have the largest dental class, it doesn't mean they're a safety school. The school obviously still has standards. This whole thing where everyone bashes on NYU is getting OLD. :sleep:

No need to bash, just go with the school that makes you happy. :oops:

All I have to say is EH. A lot of people here say bad things about NYU, BUT they're all pre-dents. What do they know about the school? I wouldn't worry too much about what the people say here.

Just because they have the largest dental class, it doesn't mean they're a safety school. The school obviously still has standards. This whole thing where everyone bashes on NYU is getting OLD. :sleep:

No need to bash, just go with the school that makes you happy. :oops:

EXACTLY! that was going to be my next point if someone else posted on here w/ a bashing of NYU. Everyone who bashes them is a pre-dent. Yes I'm sure you can get some current dental students who complain about the school..but you can also get posts from people who love it. What does that tell you? IT'S LIKE ANY OTHER SCHOOL! who would have thought...NYU on par w/ everyone else

this is just another post on NYU bashing. Most ppl if not all that talk trash about NYU do so because they couldn't get in

:confused: :confused: :confused:

the first thing the OP said was, "Among all schools, I was most impressed by NYU; the facility, nice faculty, strong curriculum, and it's in NYC!"

jb!:)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

the first thing the OP said was, "Among all schools, I was most impressed by NYU; the facility, nice faculty, strong curriculum, and it's in NYC!"

jb!:)

One can get technical and argue that the first thing the OP wrote was : "Is NYU really that bad?" which is open to interpretation but by no means a neutral statement :).

Hey jeanetteyu, are you going to NYU?

One can get technical and argue that the first thing the OP wrote was : "Is NYU really that bad?" which is open to interpretation but by no means a neutral statement :).

Hey jeanetteyu, are you going to NYU?

I haven't decided yet. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I am satisfied w/ others; i am also impressed by NYU school, mainly patient pool. in some schools, you have to fight to get patients. Besides, NYU is giving you around 10 patients at the end of D2. I know a D2 student there and he is very happy. He liked NYU very much, he just regret about paying too much...but other than that, he doesn't complaint about anything...he likes the staff there and getting the education he expected. So make decision what you think is the best school for you..

I am satisfied w/ others; i am also impressed by NYU school, mainly patient pool. in some schools, you have to fight to get patients. Besides, NYU is giving you around 10 patients at the end of D2. I know a D2 student there and he is very happy. He liked NYU very much, he just regret about paying too much...but other than that, he doesn't complaint about anything...he likes the staff there and getting the education he expected. So make decision what you think is the best school for you..

wait wait...he's seeing patients as a D2? I thought they didn't start seeing patients until 3rd year??

wait wait...he's seeing patients as a D2? I thought they didn't start seeing patients until 3rd year??

my tour guide said you get into the clinic at the very end of D2...probably just doing patient interaction stuff??

you will see patients and treat them in D3, but will get your patients at the end of D2.

to the op:

i think nyu is an underrated school by most people. i was fully impressed by their curriculum and opportunites. people just talk trash about nyu bc they don't know any better, it's funny all the stories i hear about nyu at other interviews...they didn't apply to the school bc they heard all these rumors, and, honestly, i almost did the same, but after going there, i was surprisingly impressed by the school. great opportunites, great location, impressive faculty, nice facilities, what more can you want in a dental school?

NYU is definitely underrated, mostly by pre-dents who buy into the "NYU is so bad lol" meme without really knowing anything.

It's also expensive though...

I have no doubt about the quality of NYU dental school. I was also very impressed by everything when I went for interview..
but the thing is that even though people say NYU is very underrated , impressive.. and has the top notch technology and everything... but actually not many people end up going there.. why is that so? my best assumption is the high tuition.. is that right?

Yep, out of all the interviews and facilities I've visited, I was most impressed by NYU. However, NYU is a bit pricey.

I have no doubt about the quality of NYU dental school. I was also very impressed by everything when I went for interview..
but the thing is that even though people say NYU is very underrated , impressive.. and has the top notch technology and everything... but actually not many people end up going there.. why is that so? my best assumption is the high tuition.. is that right?

Well, despite the high tuition, its kind of funny how 200 seats are filled sooo EARLY in the game (yeah, most people are waiting for other options to open up) & ONLY 30 seats are LEFT (heh, I think that's a first this year for NYU)!!!! There's about 100 people on the waitlist lol. Hopefully this won't be the case come May. I'm still erring on the optimistic side that there will be available seats when the committee decides to review the waitlistees.

Yea there are usually 2 things that cause people to turn down NYU..price and size. Right now I'm debating b/t NYU and Detroit-Mercy. It's not the price that bothers me b/c i'm going on a military scholarship...it's the size. I know student/teacher ratio is very low. There's just something about 230 (and eventually up to 330+) that causes some reservations. It's not a huge deal for me..but it definitely causes me to rethink some things. Overall it'd be about the same cost for me b/c at UDM i'd have to get an apartment, car, and all the bills that come w/ that. No car for me in NYC..that'd just be stupid haha

i think the only people allowed to bash NYU are those who actually go to school there.

NYU is a great school. Go to NYU if you loved it there and don't listen to the haters. If you don't go to a school because of what some "informed" people said on an online forum, that would be unfortunate. Only thing I was apprehensive about was the huge price tag :thumbdown: Wasn't worth more than twice the tuition to go there instead of my state school but still a great school. Still though, if the budget isn't the determining factor, I'd go to NYU if I were you.

If accepted to NYU, I will attend. Money is no object. The clinic, the city, the faculty, students. Loved it. Size - for an area as dense as NYC, raw statistics demand more seats to meet the needs of the area. The only downside I can see of NYU is if a person couldn't handle living in a city-but these people probably didn't apply to NYU.

I don't feel concerned about the large class size. Isn't the overall student:faculty ratio still 1:8ish like almost every other school?

I don't feel concerned about the large class size. Isn't the overall student:faculty ratio still 1:8ish like almost every other school?

sure is...lots of students, but tons of facutly. people make the mistake of assuming you spend all four years w/ 300+ people. Not true. At one point they break you up into groups of like..14 or 15, i dont remember if that's for clinical rotations or not. But at some point that happens, so you're not constantly around everyone in your class.