Is O-chem really that time consuming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamyKid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've never taken Ochem before, but for fall schedule planning I don't know whether I should take only 3 classes, including a physics e&m lab considering O chem :(. Is it really that much more time consuming compared to general chem?

Members don't see this ad.

It is more time consuming but it is not nearly as tedious. The concepts are usually explained much better, rather than "memorize these trends and we'll give you some weak explanation on why they show up." The time consuming part is when you get to memorizing reactions, which doesn't really happen until the end of organic I. I think you'll be fine. Organic is really intimidating because of what everyone says about it, but in the end you'll look back and realize it wasn't taht bad.

Hey guys, I've never taken Ochem before, but for fall schedule planning I don't know whether I should take only 3 classes, including a physics e&m lab considering O chem :(. Is it really that much more time consuming compared to general chem?

Personally, I enjoyed organic chemistry a lot more than general chem, which made the studying a little bit more interesting to me. Organic chemistry IS a lot of memorization. If you can memorize a couple of reactions a night, you will be FINE! You are going to have to take it anyways, might as well get it over with now. It shouldn't be a much of a problem with a heavy load of science... and it may take more time than general chem at the beginning to understand, but the reactions are all variations on a theme when you get into the "meat and potatoes" of orgo that it actually gets a little boring. And I'm not one of those geniuses that can just look at things and know them... imagine that! I would write the reactions down and look at them when I was taking the bus to campus...

Bottom line: plan your time. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OChem is just like any other class. If you study consistently (i.e. not waiting until the night before your test), then you'll be fine. My sophomore year, I took a full year of organic and physics with labs, a full year of econ, and a semester of calculus. It's all about budgeting your time.

I would suggest that you study like mad 6 days a week but take the 7th day off. It keeps you sane and gives you something outside of class to talk about.

You'll be fine. Just don't fall behind.

The difficulty of OChem is waaay overexaggerated. Just keep up with everything, and be willing to actually study :)eek:) when tests come around. Just don't fall behind and you will be fine.

I took 17 hours with Ochem included, and it wasn't too bad. The chem majors ochem lab I had to take both semesters was awful though. We met 3 times a week, and had to come in on the weekends to run our samples through NMR and IR. I don't think the regular lab is too tough though either.

I earned a high B in Ochem 1 and a solid B in Ochem 2; I didn't really do much for the classes except study/memorize the material a few days before exams. I'm sure if I was more interested in chemistry and the material in general I would have paid more attention or put more effort in, but whatever.

I can't really comment objectively because I took it over the summer, and I was one of those psycho nutcases who loved every freakin' minute of studying for it.:cool:

I agree with the above... master the first 5 or 6 topics, and then you're money... it all boils down to a bunch of nucleophiles and electrophiles. :cool:

In fact, I don't know why I seem to be unique in recommending model kits (from past posting history :rolleyes: ), but I think the fact that you actually get to work with a 3-D model of the stuff you're studying makes Orgo especially enjoyable.

Go for it. Just solve lots of problems. Solve all the problems.

I'll prob take the ochem2 and physics 1 combo during spring - but that might be a big mistake for me.

My fall semester calendar looks like this: Ochem1, Genetics, Intro to microbio, calc for life sciences, and sociology of crime. I can already sense that I'll be living in the library for sometime, however, the workload might give me an oppurtunity to test whether or not I'm capable of handling a heavy workload (I'm assuming a workload with as much information in the aforementioned fall semester will be roughly the same come medical school)

I'm looking to probably drop gen in fall to take it this summer and place cell or molecular bio in place of genetics. Either way, it really doesn't look like a win/win situation lol.

since we are on the subject of o chem i had to drop it last semester because i was in danger of failing, i took it this semester and earned an A-

how would that be viewed?

The difficulty of OChem is waaay overexaggerated. Just keep up with everything, and be willing to actually study :)eek:) when tests come around. Just don't fall behind and you will be fine.

This is definitely true. To a lot of people, orgo is one of those classes where they go in from the start with the mindset "I have a real chance of failing this." Not sure why... just treat it like any other class and you'll be fine. I took it along with physics II + lab, calc III, cell bio + lab, and ChE Material Balances. You just have to find your groove and keep trudging through the semester.

Also, bluesTank's signature speaks a rare truth as well... somewhat important to (sane) orgo success IMHO.

This is definitely true. To a lot of people, orgo is one of those classes where they go in from the start with the mindset "I have a real chance of failing this." Not sure why... just treat it like any other class and you'll be fine. I took it along with physics II + lab, calc III, cell bio + lab, and ChE Material Balances. You just have to find your groove and keep trudging through the semester.

Also, bluesTank's signature speaks a rare truth as well... somewhat important to (sane) orgo success IMHO.

effin rad.:D

how was cell bio? im taking it during the summer

Members don't see this ad :)
how was cell bio? im taking it during the summer

Mmmm, mine really sucked. It was being taught by a prof who was in the process of securing another faculty position at a larger name school... so needless to say, he didn't give much of a rat's ass. I did a LOT of reading on my own, but honestly I can't say I took much away from the class. I didn't really learn the concepts until later classes like mol gen and the biochems. I'm sure my experience was due only to the teacher though... On a brighter note- FUN LAB! :luck::thumbup:

cell bio was good, I liked it. Its a lot of materials though, I believe 20 chapters in the quarter. And I fell behind, so two days before each exam I'd be frekaing out trying to read over all the stuff :(

I personally really liked cell bio. I took it along with orgo 2 and did fine, although I did have a light load that semester so I'm sure that helped too. I think what everyone have said is true...orgo is not that bad, it really isn't. I learned that I did actually have to study most nights, but sometimes only for like 30 minutes. It made it easy and somewhat painless :D You'll be ok!

The difficulty/time-consumption of Orgo is vastly overstated. Yes, it'll be one of the most challenging courses you're taking as an undergrad, but it's not the life-blood sucking leech that everyone makes it out to be (in other words, it's not Analytical Chem). It's doable if you study correctly. Where people run into problems is when they try to memorize all the mechanisms and synthesis instead of doing practice problems.

I just finished up with Org I. I started off slowly but finished really, really strong. I had lab with a couple of students who were taking the class with a different professor. Each had their own teaching style:

1. Slam you with qualitative background info, then have you learn reactions.

2. Slam you with reaction after reaction to memorize, then go back and analyze how the reactions worked.

My teacher had the first style, and I think it benefitted me greatly. It definitely has a steeper learning curve, but it wasn't heavy memorization like others have suggested. Once I understood the mechanisms, got very comfortable with energy level diagrams, MO diagrams, etc. then I didn't have to memorize the reactions. Org 1. virtually all works under the principles of nucleophillic addition with carbocation intermediates. The rest is pretty intuitive.

On the other hand, some people prefer the latter learning style. Just memorize memorize memorize, rinse and repeat. Honestly, it doesn't require this so long as you try and get a good qualitative understanding of every problem. These principles will help you quickly filter the important information on the MCAT and hopefully in medical school.

orgo the class does NOT take up a lot of time contrary to what everyone says. it's just different than the other science classes you take and people freak out and decide to study for hours everyday. in reality, there's no need to start studying for a test until a few days before the exam. if you do that, you'll get an A and be fine. the lab on the other hand is THE MOST INSANE AMOUNT OF WORK IN ANY UNDERGRADUATE CLASS. don't take many other classes when you take the lab. it will consume your life.

orgo the class does NOT take up a lot of time contrary to what everyone says. it's just different than the other science classes you take and people freak out and decide to study for hours everyday. in reality, there's no need to start studying for a test until a few days before the exam. if you do that, you'll get an A and be fine. the lab on the other hand is THE MOST INSANE AMOUNT OF WORK IN ANY UNDERGRADUATE CLASS. don't take many other classes when you take the lab. it will consume your life.

Obviously this depends on both the individual's approach to lab, and more importantly, the lab professor/course that you have... I didn't find lab to be anything like that at all.

I'd agree with everybody else, just review the material on a regular basis and make sure you understand what's happening at the most basic level. My prof gave us an intro likening learning Orgo to learning a new language: "learn the new things at the beginning, and you'll be fine. But if you don't have the fundamentals that you're taught at the beginning of the year, you'll be helpless when it comes to understanding the material later on."

Learn those concepts heavily (electrophile/nucleophile, as MSTPBound already said), and you won't have to do much memorization later on..

I'm thinking about taking OChem in the Winter Trimester/Spring Trimester. Only issue is this'll put me taking Physics II/OC I/Genetics/ and a Grad psych class in the winter... which isn't a heavy load for me, but i suppose is for some people... My advisor is 'advising' against it and suggesting OChem (both sections) over the summer.. but if i'm starting med school in Aug (and God willing I will) then I would like to have the summer free, or a lighter load.

My undergrad GPA is 3.85ish and I've taken 14.7 hours on trimester system plus 7 at junior college at same time, plus studied for mcat with no prereqs.. surely I can handle those two hard classes together?

I am going to get an organic book and start studing for Organic during the summer so I can do well in the fall. Did anyone on here make C's in both of the General Chemisties?

Orgo is NOT about memorization, except about 15% or so. Leave the memorization mindset to the bio courses. Orgo is my easiest science course, maintained 95+ %.

Practice the problems and make sure you understand the concepts, especially b/c most of the material builds off of each other.

If you have trouble understanding the concepts than you'll be spending a lot more time than those who can grasp the content immediately.

I think of orgo like physics, where people say "you either get it or you're screwed (or spend more time)"

If you're going to try to study ahead by getting an orgo book, try to get a good one. Quality does matter. For me I rarely learned from the book because it was a waste of time and didn't to the point I would be looking for. Lecture notes plus awesome prof was sufficient.

Best approach to orgo, as my prof drilled into us: 1) understand the concepts 2) practice the problems 3) memorize (which she never mentions as #2 equates to the needed memorization)

yea we had a textbook and it was helpful for the beginning of the course but as time went on we really had to focus on the notes from the professor, it was better this way he took the important stuff from the book and taught that to us....amazing professor and I will be taking him for Organic 2 as well.

I'm taking Orgo in the fall and I plan to take the mind set that it's just like any other class. I struggled in Chem 1 and was really scared about Chem 2, however I put a little more effort in and I'm actually finding Chem 2 to be easier than Chem 1 (Im about to take the final). I have heard people rave that Chem 2 is reallllly hard. I hope orgo is as "hard" as Chem 2. I havent taken Orgo yet, but I suspect that given the right amount of effort it shouldnt be impossible like most people make it out to be. Maybe Im ignorant though. I guess Ill find out in September! ;)

Orgo can actually be fun, believe it or not.. Then again, I'm a sucker for pain... :beat:

i enjoyed Organic 1 more than gen chem 1 and 2