Is October too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bevo83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey group, is October 20th too late to apply. I've already completed my OptomCAS application, including transcripts, and I'm waiting on one professor to upload my last letter of recommendation (which she said she would work on this weekend). I also had planned on submitting my supplemental applications before the week is out. The only thing I haven't completed is my OAT. I'm scheduled to take it on the 20th of October and I know my schools (UHCO, Alabama, and Indiana) will not receive my scores for two weeks. I wasn't worried until I talked to a friend who is already in Optometry School and he told me that even if I submit everything now my application won't carry any weight until my OAT scores are processed which won't be until the beginning of November and that's very late in the cycle to be competitive. He indicated that despite my good letters of rec and shadowing, a 3.53 GPA combined with not having your OAT scores in until early November puts me at a severe disadvantage. I don't have a lot of money right now (just enough really to apply) so if the odds are stacked against me this cycle, should I just wait and apply next year? How bad is to have your scores in so late?

Sorry for the long post....

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of people apply late, your GPA is great. Just anticipate that there might be a delay in December for the holidays if you wait TOO long.

Hey I'm in the same boat. I am taking my OAT at the end of October; I have all of my transcripts and everything else completed except for a couple of letters. Honestly I think you should email or call the schools you wish to apply to and ask them what would happen if you send your application without your OAT score. I just emailed ICO and they said that if I do send my application without the letters they will be received and attached to my record whenever they are completed. And they said that depending on your GPA and other application materials, you may be put on hold until they receive your OAT scores. But they said that you can write when you plan to take the OAT and as soon as you take it, just fax them the unofficial score sheet. This is just regarding ICO though, so I'm not sure about other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently it's super early and will be until next year (2014). The time of the exam doesn't matter. People have gotten in late February. What's the point of rushing the OAT and not doing well? Get an amazing score locked onto your record! - That's what matters at the moment.

lol no. I don't remember exactly, but I think my application was finalized in january and interviews in february. I'm a first year at ICO now. :)