Is Oncology sexy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have grown up with an intimate knowledge of oncology/hematology...I can definetely say without doubt that this field of medicine deals with the heart and soul of the patient.

When anybody is forced to contemplate their own demise, I feel that their lives take on higher and deeper meaning. Suddenly all the triviality of life disappears and the true substance their own existence (matters of the heart and spirit) automatically take precedence....this appeals to me.

However, I have tons of loans to repay and I have very expensive interests too...

What is the most a Hemonc can make? what are avg salaries? what are high end salaries? how are their lifestlyes (i've only known solo- practitioners and they work like dogs)?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose Onc can be considered "sexy" because you are dealing with something so profound as death and dying on an immediate and regular basis. You still need to be good internist to take care of your patients.

Heme-Onc docs can and often do pretty well. In many states, administration of chemotherapy is billed like a procedure, and because multiple pt. get chemo at the same time.....you get the picture. If the practice you join is set up to give chemo, this is a big deal.

Of course, reimbursement is being cut for those "procedures" like everything else, but it's all relative

Most of the Heme-Onc docs I know in private practice are in groups of 5 or more. As you well know, Onc patients can get pretty sick from all the chemo and their underlying illness, so call and inpatient services can be busy, but being in a group can make things more reasonable. But I've heard HemeOnc docs avging $350k a few years into established practice and as high as $500-700k (senior partners in old, well established group).

I don't subscribe to the idea that all Heme-Onc docs do is deal with death and dying (many of their patients get better and stay better). However, I have the utmost respect for Heme-Onc docs, and could never enter the field myself because of the tolerance one has to develop for many patient outcomes and the emotional toll they can take. It takes a special person to be able to make that a part of their daily practice.

Originally posted by task

I don't subscribe to the idea that all Heme-Onc docs do is deal with death and dying (many of their patients get better and stay better). However, I have the utmost respect for Heme-Onc docs, and could never enter the field myself because of the tolerance one has to develop for many patient outcomes and the emotional toll they can take. It takes a special person to be able to make that a part of their daily practice.

yeah...well put. From my experience with heme-onc docs, their patients actually have cures and remissions more frequently than people think. The most overlooked phenomenon is that people's lives in general, are extended beyond what is naturally possible with a disease like cancer. Patients with cancer can now go to weddings, graduations, or witness the birth of grandchildren, with the extra time that medical oncology provides for them.

I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with the 'is oncology sexy?' subject heading......but i figured it would get attention of people who can inform me.

Heme-Oncs can clear close to high 6- 7 figures easily mid-career. Its a rather depressing field because the prognosis is dismal in most cases.

A large part of the billing in Heme-Onc is made on chemotherapy drugs that they can bill with a huge markup since Heme-Oncs inventory these drugs to deliver them. There was an article in Nytimes not too long ago that they government was going to crack down on this practice so I would look for any developments with that.

if you have an interest in oncology and want to make a difference in a patient's survivial rate, I would check out Rad-Onc. The only negative is that Rad-Onc is Derm's close cousin in competitiveness but once your in you're golden and the hours are better than Rad-Diag (much less call usually).