Is one EM elective enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZigZag

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a last moment change of heart about specialties from surgery to EM. I am doing trauma surgery elective in August. If I just do one ER elective in September will that put me in a great disadvantage? Is it considered too late to do electives in October?

The original plan was to take whole October off to study for Step 2, because I have pretty average Step 1 scores – 223. What would you do in my case? Try to do very well on Step2 or try to get another LOR?

Any input is very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people do 2-3 months of EM. Personally, I don't think 1 is enough. Especially if you didn't get a fantastic grade. October isn't too late for anything but your dean's letter.

ZigZag said:
I am having a last moment change of heart about specialties from surgery to EM. I am doing trauma surgery elective in August. If I just do one ER elective in September will that put me in a great disadvantage? Is it considered too late to do electives in October?

The original plan was to take whole October off to study for Step 2, because I have pretty average Step 1 scores – 223. What would you do in my case? Try to do very well on Step2 or try to get another LOR?

Any input is very appreciated.

Several people on this site have done 1 EM rotation and gotten their residency of choice, several have done 2 EM rotations and gotten their residency of choice, several have done 3 EM rotations and gotten their residency of choice.

I personally am doing 2 rotations. I think the consensus from reading this board for......well, years. Is that 2 is probably the most common number that is done, however don't let the fact that you are only doing 1 rotation keep you from applying to EM. It most definately can be done.

I know 2 at my school alone last year who only did one rotation in EM and matched at GREAT places.

good luck,

later

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree. I only did one EM rotation at my home institution and got interviews at the places I applied to- no one seemed to mind. Some of the attendings at my home school actually suggested I only do 1 EM rotation, because I will have the rest of my life to study EM.

Dont worry about only doing 1.

If you want to do only one EM rotation, then you should really question if you want to do EM as a residency.

Seriously... I don't mean to make a joke of the situation. Most people who love emergency medicine want to do more rotations in it than their medical school will allow.

There are some people who want to do other things to get a more broader education, but I think the love of EM will make you want to do more than one rotation.

If your medical school limits you to only one rotation, then sobeit. There's nothing you can do to change it, and I don't think it will hurt your chances of a great residency.

This is not the case here. Time is the limiting factor. I am trying to think what would be more beneficial in my case - getting another LOR or taking time off to study and do better on Step 2 before interview season starts.

I honored 3rd year EM clerkship and will do one EM elective in mid-September. The question is should I try doing one more elective in October or should I rather study and take Step 2?

southerndoc said:
If you want to do only one EM rotation, then you should really question if you want to do EM as a residency.

Seriously... I don't mean to make a joke of the situation. Most people who love emergency medicine want to do more rotations in it than their medical school will allow.

There are some people who want to do other things to get a more broader education, but I think the love of EM will make you want to do more than one rotation.

If your medical school limits you to only one rotation, then sobeit. There's nothing you can do to change it, and I don't think it will hurt your chances of a great residency.