is one school to few to apply to?

Started by sheltervet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sheltervet

U of MN CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a resident of a state with a college of veterinary medicine, and I was originally planning on applying to just that school, but recently I have received advice from a few people to apply to more than one school. It seems though that I would be at a disadvantage as an applicant to out-of-state schools because they might think that I should just go to my in-state school. Any more advice on this would be appreciated. Also, are there any schools that take a large number of out-of-state students that are residents of states with vet schools? Thank you!
 
This decision will come down to what you really want.

If you want to assure that you have your best chance of being admitted this year, and are not against paying out-of-state tuition for this opportunity, apply to at least a few out-of-state schools as well.

If you are dead-set on attending your in-state school out of obligations (financial & personal), or utmost love of that school, you will likely be unhappy out-of-state.

Some people I know absolutely refused to apply out-of-state, for both monetary, family and other reasons. Some got in first try, but a few did not. One person applied in-state 2 years in a row, then became so frustrated that she applied and went to a Caribbean school because she was pretty assured she would get in. While she appreciates her new school and education, she regrets not having applied to out-of-state schools to begin with because she would have saved money.

There are some schools that accept 4 out-of-state students. Unless you have amazing GPA & GRE scores, and some really good experience, it's probably not in your best interest (financial and time-wise) to apply to these. Check each schools info and choose ones that have high proportions of out-of-state students. (From personal experience, Illinois, Mississippi, and Kansas have fairly high out-of-state proportions)

Personally, I was denied from my in-state school two years in a row, and was admitted to two out-of-state schools on my first time applying to them specifically. Live and learn!
 
From what I've read on this forum, some people have applied only to their instate school and that was successful for them. However, there are no guarantees and other people have not gotten into their state school, but have gotten into out of state schools. It's an individual choice for every person.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am one person who is applying to only one school this year. Ive gone to the University of Florida for my undergrad and love the school and want to stay here for Vet school. Even more important though is my wife has one year left of undergraduate school and I dont want to transplant her. Because of this I will only apply to UF this year and If I dont get in I will apply to more than one school next cycle when both of us are ready to move.

Basically everyone has a different situation, for me applying to one school works but its not for everyone. I may not get in but Im ok with that and you have to know that by applying to only one school your taking a risk.
 
I'm from a state with a vet school and I applied to 5 schools total. I interviewed at only one and was accepted at that school.... and it wasn't my state school. So, it's up to you. Personally, and LUCKILY, I got into my number one choice (AU!!! :biglove:)
 
You will not be looked down on as an out of state student applying that has an instate vet school (they want out of staters they pay more). That being said have a good answer to the question why would you want to come to x school when you have an instate school.
 
the reason i put i was LUCKLY is because there were 615 out of state students that applied to AU and there are now 9 of us in my class. so.... you do the math 😉
but then again, i didn't get in to my instate school. hmmmm.....
 
If you are truly set on going to your in-state school and would not attend an out-of-state school if accepted, it's in your best interest to only apply in-state. Schools get really suspicious about you if they see that you turned down an acceptance in order to apply for another year.

Of course, only applying to one school is a big gamble, and lots of people get accepted out-of-state but not in-state. I only applied to two schools and was lucky enough to get in- if I hadn't gotten accepted anywhere, I would have been kicking myself for only applying to two schools.
 
Schools get really suspicious about you if they see that you turned down an acceptance in order to apply for another year.

Well said.

For every school you're thinking about applying to, ask yourself: Would I be happy attending this school if it's the only place I'm accepted? If the answer is yes, (and finances allow), then go ahead and apply! But if the answer is no, then don't apply. It's as simple as that 😉 The hard part is answering that question for yourself, and unfortunately we can't help you too much with that! Everybody has different priorities, finances, personal circumstances, etc. that affect how they go about it. Some people would rather go to any school than have to wait another year; some people would really only be happy at one school and would rather wait than go somewhere else. Those are the extremes, but I suspect that for most people, it's somewhere in between - and probably very few of us could afford to apply to every school in the country, even if we fell into the first extreme!
 
Thanks for the advice. While I am really hoping to start vet school next fall, I am also hoping to do so at in-state tuition rates. I think that I will just submit an application to my in-state school this year, and if for some reason I do not get accepted then I will consider adding some out-of-state schools in the next admissions cycle...but hopefully that won't be necessary!
 
like they've said, apply to those you would seriously consider going to. for some people thats 4. or 2. or 7. it can be one, which can be done 🙂D), but know that if they don't take you, its another year.