Is optho coming down in popularity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Toadkiller Dog

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious--

Optho has traditionally been one of the harder fields to get into. Does anyone know if it is coming down a bit, perhaps getting easier to get into?

Any insight appreciated.
 
It's harder to get into this year than it has been for a while. Apparently, the quality and quantity of the applicants have both increased significantly. It was easier to get into about 5 years ago because of compensation issues, but it seems to be quite popular again. Check out sfmatch.org. There you can see a trend of increasing board scores if you want.
 
optho is definately getting easier to get into. Now if your average to even slightly below average you'll match where's 5 years ago you needed a signed statment from god just to get an interview. Reason's for this decreased compensation from surgeries such as lasix, stiff competition for patients from other opthomologists, and turf battle with optomotrists and primary care doctors to whom the insurance companies are steering towards to take care of basic eyecare because their cheeper. I explored optho as a career and talked to a couple of program directors and many feel that by next year up to 20 percent of the slots will be filled by foreigners and this year for the first time some programs will have fmgs in them. A friend of mine who's interviewing right know told me that at every community program he's interviewed at he's seen 1 or 2 FMGs interviewing with him. This was unheard of 5 years ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Umm.... was it just me, or were those two posts completely contradictory?

I looked at the SF match website, and the first poster is correct, the average board scores have gone UP, and so has the unmatch rate for US seniors (took a steep hike last year particularly).

However, the reason I originally brought this up is that a 4th year student at my school told me optho is dropping this year (Yet another set of contradictory statements). I guess we'll just have to wait until January. It amazes me how fast things can change with respect to how popular a specialty is.
 
godfather obviously has no clue whatsoever about what he is talking about!!! First of all, nobody should be allowed to comment as an expert on something they cannot even spell. It is OPHTHALMOLOGY!!! Secondly, your assessment is about 5 years behind. The truth is, 10 years ago it was tough, 5 years ago it was easy, now it is tough again. The truth is, the past 3 years about 1 in 5 US SENIOR applicants did not match. That is out of a self-selected group of individuals who thought they were good enough to match. That doesn't sound too easy to me!!!
 
hey sunyboy i'm sorry i don't speeell weeelll enough for your tastes at 2 in the morning *****. If you feel that somebody is posting something that isn't accurate just say so politely, you don't have to be nasty and be a total jackass about it. As far as the information i'm giving you, it's accurate to the best of my knowledge. ***** 5 years ago was when it was supertough to get into optho,(I know because i have friends that were going into it at this time, they were AOA with research experience and were on average receiving 1 interview for ever 3 places they applied to. Average students back then weren't getting interviews) as many of the innovations in eye surgery were still relatively new and eye docs were making alot of money. The reason i believe it's less competitive this year is because i know alot of average and below average candidates(in terms of numbers and research experience, which isn't really even required nowadays) that have already received multiple interviews. Furthermore last year i knew a number of people with low board scores (around 200-210 step 1) that matched. optho usually isn't a field with mass appeal for med students(usually only 3 to 7 students out of most med schools go into it coupled with the fact that their turf is shrinking as pcp's and optomotrists( I know this isn't spelled right and i really don't care sunyboy) are providing more of the primary eyecare, simply doesn't make this field as attractive as it once was. You guys should ask around, because maybe i'm way off on this one like Mr. spelling bee(sunyboy) is suggesting, however i will say that based on some of my friends interview and match results and talking to 1 program director i'm going stand by what I stated that optho is much easier to get in nowadays and this trend has been going on for the past 5 years.
 
Such animosity. . .nice to see there's intelligent, reasonable discussion going on here. Anyway, I'm not here to bash other posters, I'm just trying to help out Toadkiller.

I'm a 4th yr applying for optho this year, and my info is from other candidates as well as various program directors and secretaries. All have agreed that optho is harder this year than in years past. SUNYBoy's assessment is accurate. I don't know where godfather got his info, but all my info disagrees. Of course there will always be people with lower board scores matching somewhere, that's just how it goes. That's why it's an average. Good candidates will get shut out sometimes too, whether it's due to personality issues, rank-list mistakes, or just plain bad luck. In any case, if you're thinking about optho, go for it. Just make sure you've got good board scores, grades, and recs, just like any other competitive specialty.
 
Originally posted by 7ontheline:
•Such animosity. . .nice to see there's intelligent, reasonable discussion going on here. Anyway, I'm not here to bash other posters, I'm just trying to help out Toadkiller.
•••

Hi, all.

I'm a fourth year applying into anesthesia (who isn't?), but know of a few people in my class who are applying to ophto programs this year.

I have to agree with Godfather on this one. The consensus at our school appears to be that ophto is easier to interview for this year than, say, a few years ago. The people in our class who are getting interviews don't exactly have stellar board scores and they don't have the research or connections that you needed a few years ago to get into the field. Talking to transitional year program directors seemed to confirm this -- on the other hand, the number of anesthesiology candidates is up some 300% from the year before, most of those being allopathic US grads. I really feel sorry for the IMGs and DO students who thought that getting a university anesthesia spot this year would be a piece of cake, much like last year.
 
Originally posted by Sevo:
•
I have to agree with Godfather on this one. The consensus at our school appears to be that ophto is easier to interview for this year than, say, a few years ago. The people in our class who are getting interviews don't exactly have stellar board scores and they don't have the research or connections that you needed a few years ago to get into the field. Talking to transitional year program directors seemed to confirm this -- on the other hand, the number of anesthesiology candidates is up some 300% from the year before, most of those being allopathic US grads.•••

Sevo:

I know two people in my transitional year program who matched into ophthalmology. One of my friends also graduated from the Doheny Eye Institute at USC and is involved with the residency now. That being said, ophthalmology is just as competitive as it was before. I concede that their may be regional differences in the number of applications but overall it has remained one of the most competitive residencies.

I'm not sure why this is, but one thing I've noticed is how much the Anesthesia applicants like to glorify Anesthesia while at the same time putting down others fields such as Ophthalmology, General Surgery, and Radiology. I'm not saying anyone has done that here, specifically, but this is just an observation I've made with residents I've met and online (mostly at medschool.com last year). Anesthesia has no doubt become more popular but to say that applications from US MDs have risen 300%? That sounds a bit outrageous to me and I think we should wait to see what the final numbers show. While applications in Ohio may have risen 300%, the reason may be that no one wanted to go there previously. There were programs in Chicago that no one applied to. UIC only filled 1 out of 11 spots last year. I'm guessing they've seen a 300% increase in applications as well.

IMHO, there are too many spots in Anesthesia for anyone to say that it will be an impossible match. Last year there were still a ton of FMGs (~35%) who matched into Anesthesia and everyone pretty much matched. To say that this year is drastically different from last year is just not true. Applications from AMGs may be up, but there will be more spots than those who apply. As with any field, the top programs will be difficult to match into but the rest of the programs are open to pretty much anyone.

There are a lot of awesome candidates who now apply for Anesthesia but there is a finite number of them. The problem is that despite how attractive the salaries may be, many people still do not enjoy being isolated in the OR and at times being treated like crap by the surgeons. While the salaries may be awesome, there just isn't as much respect as there should be. These are probably some of the reasons why there were only 56 AOA applications for 1104 Anesthesia spots.

The fields that have really become difficult to match into lately are Radiology and Emergency Medicine. <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/progemph/eras/resource/pdwinfo/radspec.htm" target="_blank">Radiology</a> and <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/progemph/eras/resource/pdwinfo/emspec.htm" target="_blank">Emergency Medicine</a> are the hot fields now and both are much more difficult to match into than <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/progemph/eras/resource/pdwinfo/emspec.htm" target="_blank">Anesthesia</a>. You just don't see any programs go unfilled in Radiology and EMed -- let alone Harvard, Yale, NYU, and the like as you saw for Anesthesia last year. You should just wait for the 2002 numbers to come back from the NRMP before you decide that the impossibility of matching into Anesthesia is a fait accompli. This time last year, the Anesthesia applicants were saying the exact same thing about 2001.
 
Hey 7ontheline,

Which programs have you liked so far? From speaking with your co-interviewees, which are the most sought after programs? Any info on any midwest programs? I would really appreciate any info. Thanks.

And for anybody else interviewing, your input would be greatly appreciated as well.

For everyone else, Ophthalmology is, was, and always will be a fairly competitive specialty. Even at its lowest point, all the spots were still being matched. And the number of spots have decreased since then.
 
Originally posted by ER:

...but one thing I've noticed is how much the Anesthesia applicants like to glorify Anesthesia while at the same time putting down others fields such as Ophthalmology, General Surgery, and Radiology. I'm not saying anyone has done that here, specifically, but this is just an observation I've made with residents I've met and online (mostly at medschool.com last year). Anesthesia has no doubt become more popular but to say that applications from US MDs have risen 300%? That sounds a bit outrageous to me and I think we should wait to see what the final numbers show. While applications in Ohio may have risen 300%, the reason may be that no one wanted to go there previously. There were programs in Chicago that no one applied to. UIC only filled 1 out of 11 spots last year. I'm guessing they've seen a 300% increase in applications as well. ••

Believe it or not. I was shocked when I heard it the first time. I guess the fact started to hit home when I started to hit the tour circuit and heard similar stories from other applicants.

IMHO, there are too many spots in Anesthesia for anyone to say that it will be an impossible match. Last year there were still a ton of FMGs (~35%) who matched into Anesthesia and everyone pretty much matched. To say that this year is drastically different from last year is just not true. Applications from AMGs may be up, but there will be more spots than those who apply. As with any field, the top programs will be difficult to match into but the rest of the programs are open to pretty much anyone.••

Again, much of my "evidence" is anecdoctal, but the feeling I'm getting from program directors is that most, if not all, university spots will go to US grads this year in additional to a much larger percentage of spots at community programs. Last year the "top programs" were still accessible to IMGs, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case this year. Will everyone match this year? Probably -- at least among AMGs. Will it be easy to waltz into a top program, as it largely was two years ago? No.

There are a lot of awesome candidates who now apply for Anesthesia but there is a finite number of them. The problem is that despite how attractive the salaries may be, many people still do not enjoy being isolated in the OR and at times being treated like crap by the surgeons. While the salaries may be awesome, there just isn't as much respect as there should be. These are probably some of the reasons why there were only 56 AOA applications for 1104 Anesthesia spots.••

Again, the AOA number should rise significantly this year, if what I've seen pans out.
 
Originally posted by ER:
•

Sevo:

I know two people in my transitional year program who matched into ophthalmology. One of my friends also graduated from the Doheny Eye Institute at USC and is involved with the residency now. That being said, ophthalmology is just as competitive as it was before. I concede that their may be regional differences in the number of applications but overall it has remained one of the most competitive residencies.

I'm not sure why this is, but one thing I've noticed is how much the Anesthesia applicants like to glorify Anesthesia while at the same time putting down others fields such as Ophthalmology, General Surgery, and Radiology. I'm not saying anyone has done that here, specifically, but this is just an observation I've made with residents I've met and online (mostly at medschool.com last year). Anesthesia has no doubt become more popular but to say that applications from US MDs have risen 300%? That sounds a bit outrageous to me and I think we should wait to see what the final numbers show. While applications in Ohio may have risen 300%, the reason may be that no one wanted to go there previously. There were programs in Chicago that no one applied to. UIC only filled 1 out of 11 spots last year. I'm guessing they've seen a 300% increase in applications as well.

IMHO, there are too many spots in Anesthesia for anyone to say that it will be an impossible match. Last year there were still a ton of FMGs (~35%) who matched into Anesthesia and everyone pretty much matched. To say that this year is drastically different from last year is just not true. Applications from AMGs may be up, but there will be more spots than those who apply. As with any field, the top programs will be difficult to match into but the rest of the programs are open to pretty much anyone.

There are a lot of awesome candidates who now apply for Anesthesia but there is a finite number of them. The problem is that despite how attractive the salaries may be, many people still do not enjoy being isolated in the OR and at times being treated like crap by the surgeons. While the salaries may be awesome, there just isn't as much respect as there should be. These are probably some of the reasons why there were only 56 AOA applications for 1104 Anesthesia spots.

The fields that have really become difficult to match into lately are Radiology and Emergency Medicine. <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/progemph/eras/resource/pdwinfo/radspec.htm" target="_blank">Radiology</a> and <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/progemph/eras/resource/pdwinfo/emspec.htm" target="_blank">Emergency Medicine</a> are the hot fields now and both are much more difficult to match into than <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/progemph/eras/resource/pdwinfo/emspec.htm" target="_blank">Anesthesia</a>. You just don't see any programs go unfilled in Radiology and EMed -- let alone Harvard, Yale, NYU, and the like as you saw for Anesthesia last year. You should just wait for the 2002 numbers to come back from the NRMP before you decide that the impossibility of matching into Anesthesia is a fait accompli. This time last year, the Anesthesia applicants were saying the exact same thing about 2001.•••

To say that anyone wants to glorify their chosen discipline is rather silly. We are all professionals here, and what point would there be in such an exercise in virtual futility? We are here to discuss/guide/help each other. At least I would like to think so. All fields are wildly popular at some point. It just so happens that anesthesia is the big mover this year.

Your comments about Anesthesia are faulty in my opinion. There are tons of slots in ER and Radiology too, just as many and growing! While these fields do fill, there is still over a 1000 slots making a match in ER pretty darn easy for an American grad. Radiology is a bit tougher, but still quite manageable. ER is actually on a big downturn, and this year will be much easier than last. A lot of people are realizing that ER physicians do actually work pretty hard, have a set limit on their earning potential, and function in more or less a primary care role. To some, this is appealing. Many simply didn't realize that ER isn't what it's all cracked up to be. The result; a downturn in applications by American grads starting LAST year.

Your comments about anesthesia applications couldn't be any more wrong. The number of applications by AMG is jumping several 100 percent. That is an enormous change from one year to the next. Very similar to what happened to the once defunct field of radiology. It is going to be competitive this year.

There is also a finite number of 'awesome' candidates applying to radiology or ER, both disciplines with enormous numbers of slots available.

What people may or may not have said last year is irrelevant. What is relevant is the absolute number of applicants over last year. It has grown enormously. It's gonna be a competitive year.
 
"There are tons of slots in ER and Radiology too, just as many and growing!"

There are 800-900 slots in radiology and many more qualified US student applicants. Last year at least 300 senior US MD grads did not obtain positions. While there are debates about increasing spots, there is nothing certain yet and the number of slots has remained steady for several years.

I remember how last year people were saying this was going to be a competitive year. Perhaps it was for all the DO applicants and FMGs. US MD grads had no problem last year and will not have any this year. DOs matched to prestigious places like UCSF, Hopkins, etc. last year look at the match lists.
 
Oh NO...DEAR GOD,

All of you are right. Anesthesia is horrible. Don't apply, don't match into it. IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO MATCH THIS YEAR. EVERYONE PLEASE PULL OUT OF THE MATCH. Go into something less competitive, like derm or ENT. Don't be surprised if the non-match rate is 30-50% for US grads. OH DEAR GOD...WE ARE ALL SCREWED. Why do people want to go into it...nurse anesthesists are taking their salary, surgeons abuse them, there won't be any cases in the future because hospitals will have nurse anesthesists doing triple bypasses and critical care. GO INTO PM&R PLEASE... it is great lifestyle, you can do tons of rehab work, THEY PAY IS UNBELEIVABLE (better than neurosurgeons and cardiothoracic surgeons)...AND THE BEST PART IS ORTHOPEDIC SURGEONS LOVE YOU, RESPECT YOU, AND CONSULT WITH YOU BEFORE THEY EVEN DO SURGERY. SOME WON'T EVEN RUN THEIR CLINICS WITHOUT A PROFESSIONAL, BOARD CERTIFIED, PM & R PHYSICIAN THERE. And it's not as if a PA with PM&R experience can do the rehab work you can do, BECAUSE THEY JUST AREN'T BRIGHT ENOUGH OR TALENTED ENOUGH TO REPLACE A PHYSICIAN IN THIS FIELD. OR Radiology which is cutting edge and exciting, or ER which has such a mellow schedule...PLEASE PEOPLE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS IN MEDICINE TO DO. THOSE IN THE ANESTHESIA MATCH THIS YEAR...I FEAR FOR YOU. The whole lot of you are collectively screwed. THERE WILL BE NO JOBS WHEN YOU COME OUT, YOUR COMPENSATION WILL SHRINK TO THE LEVEL OF SCHOOL TEACHERS, AND NURSE ANETHESISTS WILL MAKE DOUBLE TO TRIPLE YOUR SALARY, AND YOU WILL WORK FOR THEM. THEY WILL RUN OR'S AND THEY WILL SUPERVISE PHYSICIANS. What will you do with your autonomy then? IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD...GET OFF THE SHIP NOW.

Ehmm...ok...now that the sarcasm has officially been laid really thick (my apologies if it got sticky at points) but basically I am telling all of you....YOU CANNOT PREDICT ANYTHING. This country might have completely market force driven medicine in twenty years or it could be completely socialized. Radiology might be the most lucrative field in the world, or teleradiology will reduce the need for so manhy radiologists. MY POINT IS IT'S UNPREDICTABLE. Yes, nurse anesthesists may take some of our jobs, and lord knows they've already taken some of our compensation. But that's life...and that's the world we live in. If I enjoyed orhtopedic surgery I would do it. I wouldn't worry about hours, compensation, time and energy. I wouldn't care if it was easier next year than this year..worse the following year from the previous year. All of that would be irrelevant to me. Some fields will be good, some will be bad. Everything is cyclical. Do what you love...enjoy life...let the rest take care of itself. If you're smart, and you worked hard...you'll get in life where you want to go. It wasn't easy to get into med school, it won't be easy to match at the residency you want to match too, and once you get out you will have to have shrewd business skills to make the money from your practice, that business devoid physicians made in the 80's heyday of medicine. Welcome to the real world. But, whether you match or not, do well or not...know what you want to do...and pursue to the highest order. Don't ever be satisified, achieve. Become the best at whatever you do...AND DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS OF YORU FIELDS...WHETHER IT'S COMPETITIVE OR NOT..JOB PROSPECTS IN TWENTY YEARS. In life..those things sort themselves out. If you can't get a job in the medical field of your choice when you're done with your residency..do locum work and get a law degree and do patent law. Or go to business school...or do a reasearch fellowship and go into biotech or pharma. Whatever it is...do what you love...and play the cards that are dealt you. In the end, I gaurantee...if you did things in life for the right reasons...you won't be disappointed when the wrong reasons don't pan out. Peace, and good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks test boy,

But rad does make a good point...maybe I am in idiot. I don't know what part of what I said specifically makes me stupid, but needless to say what I love about an open forum is everyone is provided an opportunity to represent their own opinion. So I respect the fact that you think I'm an idiot (I think it's somewhat humorous in a way). My sole point in my rampant musings was just that people seem to be preoccupied with the money a field will provide, the future that it holds, the hours they work, and how competitive it is to get in. It's tough that these metrics instead of the fundamental question, "what do I love to do?", are the ones that are asked. I can't fault anyone for feeling that way (you guys have debt, and length of schooling. When I graduated med school, I felt the same way). But part of the reason I left medicine, and started my own company was the negativism I heard and percieved in medicine. What people could and couldn't get into, who was or was not qualified to be a certain kind of doctor, is medicine worth it, and how good one field was versus how incompetent another was....and frankly that's the way I viewed the world. I guess my point is, now that I've had some time to pull away and evaluate, is that the people in life who I've met that have been the most successful genuinely loved what they did. People who chose their life paths for other reasons, ended up resenting what they became or were always searching for more. My software company has given me more money than anyone my age should have. But I am unhappy...because this is not what I love to do. The number of hoops and hurdles I've had to jump through to get back into the match for residency next year HAVE BEEN UNBELIEVABLE. I've been gone one year, and my dedication is already being questioned. A few places that denied me interviews even told me that this was their biggest concern. But...screw it...those are the cards dealt me. I know what I want to be, what I'll love to do, so as difficult as it is for my ego to handle getting a rejection e-mail of any type, I recognize that these things happen. Will people with lower scores and grades than mine match at places where I was denied interviews? Yes. Is radiology competitive? yes. Is ER competitive? yes. Is opthomology competitive? yes. Is anesthesia more competitive this year than it has been in a long time? OH YEAH! But you know what...who cares. Ask yourself..do you love radiology? Then fine...even if you're a DO, or praticed medicine for twenty years in Botswana...find a way to match. Crawl, kill...kiss people's ass if you have to. But make your dreams happen. I'm amazed what you can accomplish in America. The greatest thing about us american "idiots" is that we can be dumb, book dead, unable to formulate thoughts...but if we worked hard, and had a clear goal in mind..IN THIS COUNTRY..WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED. Go into the field you want because you love it. AND DO ANYTHING YOU CAN TO GET THERE. I love medicine...if I don't match in what I want...I'll do something else in medicine. I'll make my dream happen. And no matter how many people post about how stupid my career is, or how the compensation sucks I won't listen to them. And my advice is for every D.O. or every FMG or every person with mid level board scores...or mid level grades...the only thing you have to get to your dream is keep working. You may not get to go to the best program, but you'll go somewhere. All my original post was meant to say was, do a rotation and see if you like it. If you do...THEN DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET INTO THE FIELD. Don't listen to posts, don't listen to detractors..don't pay any attention to anything anyone has to say about the field you have choosen. Just do it...and be happy that you get to do something you love. Most people don't even have that luxury.

I MAY BE AN IDIOT RAD, BUT I'm the happiest dumb ass around. And I don't need to put you down to get there. Good luck dude, whatever you do. In the end, you'll get where you belong and hopefully it will have been worth it.

For my detractors...THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST. Best of luck to all of you, and take care.

Peace,

Brownman, MD 2000
 
Wait a second, weren't we originally talking about opfamoligy? (Did I spell that right? Shucks.)
 
Originally posted by Klebsiella:

There are tons of slots in ER and Radiology too, just as many and growing! While these fields do fill, there is still over a 1000 slots making a match in ER pretty darn easy for an American grad. Radiology is a bit tougher, but still quite manageable.

Your comments about anesthesia applications couldn't be any more wrong. The number of applications by AMG is jumping several 100 percent. That is an enormous change from one year to the next.

There is also a finite number of 'awesome' candidates applying to radiology or ER, both disciplines with enormous numbers of slots available.
••

I hope both you and Sevo are kidding. A jump of SEVERAL hundred percent in applications from last year?! I guess all the applicants who would have decided to go into Emergency Medicine or Radiology decided to go into Anesthesia, huh? I guess all the statistics from ERAS and NRMP were just wrong last year. Like I said before, let us just wait for the final numbers to be realeased, shall we? Unless you think there is some sort of conspiracy by ERAS and NRMP to hide the true competitiveness of Anesthesia and make it seem less difficult than Emergency Medicine and Radiology.
 
Originally posted by ER:
•
I guess all the applicants who would have decided to go into Emergency Medicine or Radiology decided to go into Anesthesia, huh? I guess all the statistics from ERAS and NRMP were just wrong last year. Like I said before, let us just wait for the final numbers to be realeased, shall we? Unless you think there is some sort of conspiracy by ERAS and NRMP to hide the true competitiveness of Anesthesia and make it seem less difficult than Emergency Medicine and Radiology.•••

Man, what's your problem?

Anesthesia is more competitive this year than last -- a lot more competitive. Maybe not as competitive as radiology, but it's dramaticially more difficult to get a "good" spot this year than in previous years.

I agree with you, anesthesia was fairly easy to match into last year, but I believe that the scenario this year is very different. I found that hard to believe until I actually went on the interview trail and talked to a number of applicants, anesthesia program directors, and preliminary medicine/transitional year program directors. Everyone I've talked to is shocked and have been taken by surprise by the sudden surge in the number of applicants this year versus last.

I'm sorry that you can't accept the proposal that the anesthesia applicant numbers this year are likely going to surpass last year dramatically. I'm not trying to cheer the profession on -- in fact, I wish the scenario was just the opposite and I'm rather bothered by the fact that it happened to occur the year that I'm applying. However, I'm just offering my perspective on things since, unlike you, I'm interviewing for a anesthesia spot this year.

Yes, this year all American seniors applying to anesthesia will likely match, unlike all the individuals applying to radiology progams (I have no idea what the scene is like for ER applicants). Will all of us waltz into the spots of our choosing (i.e. first choices), as was largely the case last year? Probably not.
 
I must agree that Anesthesia is much harder this year. From what I hear the applicant pool is stellar. One top anesthesia program said that 100 applicants had a USMLE score better than 240, and that 50% of those had a score of greater than 250. Pretty impressive. I must disagree a bit with SEVO's previous post of DO students getting squeezed out of the top anesthesia programs. I am a DO student and have been offered an anesthesia position outside of the match at the Brigham and Yale. I think that it is more difficult for a DO student to get a top anesthesia program (b/c most do not take the USMLE and maybe the gods of medicine are biased towards us), but not impossible.