Is Optometry financially worth it nowadays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxmart

Reaction score
With the increasing tuition of optometry school and the future of optometry, is it worth going to optometry school still? I want to know if it still makes sense to continue in this field. I have heard mixed answers on the potential salary I can earn as an optometrist in the midwest. Some people says its around 90k. Is that the salary to expect? Looking for advice whether its smart to do optometry financially

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely! It’s constantly ranked as top jobs, top paying jobs, and demand for ODs will continue to rise, especially with baby boomers since there is a shortage of MDs. I’m from the Midwest, too, and I have friends who recently finished OD school (I’m changing careers, actually) who all got jobs right away. They are all making >100K with good benefits. I think right now with COVID it’s tricky but that’ll get better. All the docs I’ve shadowed love their career. Loans suck but it’s worth it in the end!

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely! It’s constantly ranked as top jobs, top paying jobs, and demand for ODs will continue to rise, especially with baby boomers since there is a shortage of MDs. I’m from the Midwest, too, and I have friends who recently finished OD school (I’m changing careers, actually) who all got jobs right away. They are all making >100K with good benefits. I think right now with COVID it’s tricky but that’ll get better. All the docs I’ve shadowed love their career. Loans suck but it’s worth it in the end!
Ok good to know that career is still financially worth pursuing. May I ask what career are you switching from and what made you want to do optometry?

I was in IT but it hasn’t been rewarding. I miss working with people, and I’ve had eye issues growing up so Optometry has been familiar to me. Did some shadowing pre-COVID which helped solidify my decision.

Reactions: 1 user