is optometry school as hard as med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i cant decide if i should go to med school or optometry school, i want to do something that is as easy as undergrad (study like 2 hours a day, and rest on weekends). is optometry school the right choice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you're not for real.

Study 2 hours a day and rest on weekends? Probably not going to happen at any kind of professional school.

Reactions: 1 users
i hope you are kidding. honestly... i have friends in med school that pity me for being so much busier than them... not very many people have been to both to compare but picking opt for an easy ride is definitely not a way to go. hopefully if that is the reason you would go they would see right through you at interviews and you wouldnt get in anyways... if you want to study 2 hours a day and do nothing all weekend i would suggest getting ajob with a bachelors degree... i doubt you will find something as "easy" as undergrad in any type of post bachelor program. its not supposed to be easy...go get another bachelors degree if that is what you are looking for

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure optometry school does require more than studying 2 hours a day. Any graduate or professional school requires studying and dedication. I don't think optometry school is an exception.......

i cant decide if i should go to med school or optometry school, i want to do something that is as easy as undergrad (study like 2 hours a day, and rest on weekends). is optometry school the right choice for me?

i just got my laugh for the day :laugh:

That's the kind of doctor that we need running around society....sigh.....

Reactions: 1 user

neither of those will give you that lifestyle. i'm only a first year opt student and already feel very overwhelmed with all the knowledge that i'm expected to retain. anyone who isn't dedicated should never consider becoming a doctor. so i would re-think your career goal because opt school is considerably more difficult than undergrad. keep in mind, your education is for your future patients...

If You Have The Grades, Then Without A Doubt, Go 2 Med School!!!!

Hmmm. Sounds like a troll to me.

what? i don't even know how i can get away with only 2 hours/day of studying in UNDERGRAD. that's funny.

along with what everyone else said... there IS a reason why doctors get the respect (and salary) they do. because they work HARD. whatever you choose to do, I hope you won't be risking other people's lives or vision because you wanted an easy way out.

not to mention, if you only do 2 hours of studying a day in undergrad, you either: (a) don't have the grades to get into any pre-professional school, (b) don't have the will power to do well if you DID get there, (c) are only a freshman/sophomore who hasn't hit his harder bio/chem/physics classes yet.

with your mentality, I highly suggest taking some time off after undergrad to get some working experience to realize how much work really does go into being a professional in any field.

:bullcrap::bullcrap::bullcrap:

Ladies and gentlemen...

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

OP - Unless someone has gone to both medical school and optometry school, they can't really comment on which is harder or more time consuming. However, it is safe to say that given your desired lifestyle - professional school (of any discipline) is probably NOT the best choice for you.

Thanks for the chuckle though. :rolleyes:

You know what, some people really can get away with studying 2 hours a day...not me though!!!

You know what, some people really can get away with studying 2 hours a day...not me though!!!

My brother was one of those people. I always wanted to bludgeon him with my textbook. I don't know how he did it. I NEVER saw him study in undergrad.

I won't lie-- I really thought the same way as you did-- although I knew either would be hard work. I decided on Optometry school because I thought it would give me a career that wasn't as hectic and I could have a family. However, getting to Optometry school was a big shock- it's so timing consuming, you have to work VERY hard and it's nothing like undergraduate. I have class for at least 6 hours a day if not 8, then I end up studying at least a few hours a night and almost all day on the weekends. If this isn't something you really really want & your heart isn't in it, I can't imagine anyone doing well. Hope you make the right decision!

how has that worked out?

Why? I genuinely want to know the answer.
I can’t speak for other users as to why it annoys them. It’s a fairly common Internet phenomenon.

At any rate you might have noticed that the person you were inquiring about has not logged into SDN in two years which would seem to indicate you’re probably not going to get an answer to your question.

That might also mean that their study plan didn’t work because they’re too busy to come back here LOL!

Reactions: 1 users