Is optometry school not important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mupreopt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have asked my school a few times by e-mail but I never got an answer.

I've noticed ever since I started college that on my school science website and a few other places, pre-optometry is not listed. For example, sometimes I see other pre-health care listed such as pre-dentistry, pre-med, pre-pharmacy, etc. I forgot exactly where I saw it but sometimes it could be on a newsletter, e-mail, etc. However, pre-optometry is sometimes not listed.
Also, in the hallway outside the college of science office, there is a bulletin board with various pre-health care professions and all kinds of paper under each health care heading (brochure, test dates, etc.). However, under optometry, there is nothing. There used to be information underneath but for the past two semesters, it has been blank.
Do you notice this at your school also? Anyone know why?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, pre-optometry is kind of lumped into all the other more "popular" pre-professional groups. There really isn't a lot of info available on it for me either. I don't think there is any particular reason why information is disappearing at your school. My guess is that it is a supply and demand situation. No demand, no supply.

Correct. Unless you want to be an optometrist.

It's the same at my school too. We do have a pre-optometry concentration that you can declare, but on the wall with all of the pre-professional info there are always only like 2 sheets of paper under it. We can't get a pre-opt club started because there aren't enough, although my advisor says there are around 30 pre-opt students. They must be hiding. Anyway, I feel like the schools with clubs and all that are the ones that are near OD schools because that's where most of the interest probably is.