Is Optometry the right career path for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livenitup

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am currently in my fourth year of undergraduate with a 2.2 gpa cumulative gpa and less than 2 science gpa. I was thinking of taking a fifth year so I can increase my gpa for a post bacC which mostly require a 3.0 but by the end of the fourth year I won't be close to a + 3.0 but somewhat 2.8, So, Im not really sure if I can do a post bacc:/
Unfortunately, I need to retake orgo for a third time and biology. Would it be wise to do it here in undergrad or would it look bad to OD schools? Im really trying to do my best so I can improve my application. I was hoping to apply for OD schools later on but I really wanna know if post baccs are better than a DIY post bacc. Either way, I will probably have to retake orgo 1 and intro to bio and then take upper level division courses for the first time.
-I was also thinking of an MPH but with a low gpa, unless a 5th year is not looked down up?

any advice is appreciated, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in my fourth year of undergraduate with a 2.2 gpa cumulative gpa and less than 2 science gpa. I was thinking of taking a fifth year so I can increase my gpa for a post bacC which mostly require a 3.0 but by the end of the fourth year I won't be close to a + 3.0 but somewhat 2.8, So, Im not really sure if I can do a post bacc:/
Unfortunately, I need to retake orgo for a third time and biology. Would it be wise to do it here in undergrad or would it look bad to OD schools? Im really trying to do my best so I can improve my application. I was hoping to apply for OD schools later on but I really wanna know if post baccs are better than a DIY post bacc. Either way, I will probably have to retake orgo 1 and intro to bio and then take upper level division courses for the first time.
-I was also thinking of an MPH but with a low gpa, unless a 5th year is not looked down up?

any advice is appreciated, thanks

Before you do anything, find out why your grades are the way they are, then fix that first, otherwise even if you did get into school, you would waste ALOT of money trying to pass your boards/classes etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Fix the problem, not the grade.

Even if you get in, you will struggle to pass.

MPH courses are not challenging enough to prove to optometry schools that you have fixed your studying issues to get high grades.

Reactions: 1 users