Quantcast

Is our handwriting that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
3,505
Reaction score
35

Members don't see this ad.
Apparently Nevada may institute email-based prescriptions sent to the pharmacy, which will eliminate hand-written prescriptions. This, they claim, will make the process more streamlined, and automatically check for interactions and generic availability, thus saving the patient money.

The video has some guy stating that 5-6% of all scripts are filled incorrectly? Seems like a lot.
I wonder if it would cut down on the abuse of narcotics and other meds by drug seekers.

What do you all think?
Here's the article.
 

mdblue

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Messages
199
Reaction score
1
Anasazi23 said:
Apparently Nevada may institute email-based prescriptions sent to the pharmacy, which will eliminate hand-written prescriptions. This, they claim, will make the process more streamlined, and automatically check for interactions and generic availability, thus saving the patient money.

The video has some guy stating that 5-6% of all scripts are filled incorrectly? Seems like a lot.
I wonder if it would cut down on the abuse of narcotics and other meds by drug seekers.

What do you all think?
Here's the article.
We are not that bad :)
Here's the link http://www.pilotpen.us/r_3_29_05.htm
 

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
6,350
Reaction score
4,241
Anasazi23 said:
Apparently Nevada may institute email-based prescriptions sent to the pharmacy, which will eliminate hand-written prescriptions. This, they claim, will make the process more streamlined, and automatically check for interactions and generic availability, thus saving the patient money.

I fortunately work for a system in which all outpatient scripts are electronically transmitted to the pharmacy of the patient's choice. It's really worked well, though I still have no idea whether the meds are actually picked up and taken as directed. It cuts down on errors as well as potential for frging/altering scripts.
 

Poety

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
1
No, we are not :p
 

mosche

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
0
This will sound odd, but I used to practice writing my signature like a doctor. Even when I was a kid, I couldn't write that bad without practice. One of our attendings writes with lines and dots only. The pharmacy never complains (at least not when we're around). Evidentally, pharmacists have superhuman reading/interpretative skills that surpass mortal comprehension! They should work at the U.N..
 

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
6,350
Reaction score
4,241
mosche said:
This will sound odd, but I used to practice writing my signature like a doctor. Even when I was a kid, I couldn't write that bad without practice. One of our attendings writes with lines and dots only. The pharmacy never complains (at least not when we're around). Evidentally, pharmacists have superhuman reading/interpretative skills that surpass mortal comprehension! They should work at the U.N..


I just can't make my fine-motor coordination work that well. It's been a lifelong issue. :( I've changed my signature twice, but it continues to degenerate (wonder what the handwriting-personality folks would say about that...).

Glad for EMR!
 

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
3,505
Reaction score
35
mdblue said:
We are not that bad :)
Here's the link http://www.pilotpen.us/r_3_29_05.htm

I think I actually lost intelligence by reading that. :laugh:

Where ya been mdblue?

We all got these little pocket stamp thingies with out name and beeper on it because there were so many complaints about illegible signatures in the hospital. The psych residents got their license numbers on them so that we can stamp scripts off the hospital prescription pads.
 

sdn1977

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
3,547
Reaction score
19
I'm a CA pharmacist so I can't speak for the Nevada situation. I spent 20 years working in hospital pharmacies and that situation is easier than the last 6 in community pharmacy as far as reading writing. The reason is simple - if I wasn't sure.....I left the pharmacy & read the chart. Often, you have written your intentions elsewhere (progress notes) so I could interpret what you wanted & not bother you. Also, even in teaching instituions with residents, you just get to know handwriting. That ability to recognize handwriting comes in handy in community pharmacy - if I don't recognize the writing or the way you prescribe certain medications - I might doubt the validity of an Rx (especially the "controlled" drugs-most prescribers have their favorites and patterns of prescribing). The problem is compounded now because of so many similar drug names. Its helpful when your specialty is printed on your Rx - I'd be more likely to not think Singular when you might have written Seroquel poorly and vis versa when seeing an Rx from an allergist with the same confusion. Unfortunately, electronic prescribing is not always the perfect solution. There are THOUSANDS of line items of drug choices (consider all available drugs, strengths, forms) and often (in large clinics) it is ancillary personnel (nurses and medical assistants) who are actually entering the Rx into the computer. I have often received Rxs electronically which are wrong (ex - pt knows MD wanted to increase the dose, but it is actually decreased because the cursor was inadvertently placed on the wrong choice) and its very difficulty to go back to get it sorted out because the data went into the electronic record of the chart so when I call - the clerk says "that is what the MD wanted". Medication errors are a very real problem and not solely because of your writing or my misreading. Hopefully, you'll be patient when we need to call to clarify your Rx! Now....if we could only get your patients to take the medications how you have prescribed and I have dispensed!
 

mosche

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
0
sdn1977 said:
Now....if we could only get your patients to take the medications how you have prescribed and I have dispensed!

Amen! :thumbup:
 
Top