Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw a community hospital contract like that once.
Hit 90% MGMA, and they switched to some other RVU metric (that paid a lot less) to prevent “overcompensation” (whatever that means, LMAO).
Of course…
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I saw a community hospital contract like that once.
Hit 90% MGMA, and they switched to some other RVU metric (that paid a lot less) to prevent “overcompensation” (whatever that means, LMAO).
I have to say there is a ton of "gaslighting" of patients by PCPs in the local community amongst the base that refers patient to me.
While by no means am I am "academic doctor," (this means I do not do original research and I do not have an academic title. I have faculty on a fellowship program but that is more "honorary" than anything else. I teach fellows with my cases at times. I do some lectures. but this does not make me an "academic doctor") I do try to run my practice as "academically as possible. What this means is I do not run a mill for my pulmonary (and select few renal) patients. All my new patients get one full hour visit. Follow up results are done by phone first (if normal done by midlevel) with the option of scheduling a follow up in person. (this helps expedite getting a CT result - hey you have a 0.3cm nodule. it's not cancer fear not. what could it be? schedule full visit let's look at the picture together!)
I do not take "shortcuts." A common condition I see is NTM-pulmonary disease. I rotated through the Mycobacterial rotation at national jewish health and learned from the experts. By no means am I an "expert" but I would like to think I do a far better job than most local community pulms out there. One thing I spend a lot of time on are the non-pharmacologic treatment options such as dietary/GERD management, sleeping head of bed elevated whether a bed wedge pillow (which i can order as DME) or a hospital bed, pulmonary hygiene with nebulized saline, flutter valves, and chest physiotherapy, exercise, and getting vitamin D in diet / supplementation. This is all before I even consider starting RIF / AZI / EMB. Even if I started these (usually smear positive disease or rapid growers as those are unlikely to clear with conservative management alone), I am doing full med recs, 12L EKG for QTc, Ishihara color screen, Snellen eye check, and Retinavue retinal photographs as baseline checks.
Then I am also working up their bronchiectasis. While most commonly it is due to reflux or post Tb, a full workup for collagen vascular disease, inflammatory bowel disease, immunodeficiencies, and cystic fibrosis (some of the less common mutations with delayed penetrance and all that jazz can present later on in life).
Anyway this is just one example of a "hard case that I try to do the full workup like an academic doctor would."
Doing all this takes a lot of time and hence I dedicate a lot of time per patient visit and have hired plenty of support staff.
I do not start a mill for specialty care because that compromises care for complex ill patients.
A mill can only be done for primary care honestly in which there is zero expectation you can figure out their complex issues and can always refer out.
Moreover, if I ended up trying to overstuff too many patients, these same histrionic borderline narcissistic dependent personality disorder patients end up complaining "the doctor did not spend enough time with me."
Given a choice between A) looking incomptent and B) being reviled, I would gladly take the latter every time.
yet I get flooded with angry new referrals (all of whom I have never met before and thus have no legal obligation to) walking into the front desk making a scene. Their PCP discovered a lung nodule (likely subcentimeter) and they are going to die if they dont get consultation from me. Lol such histrionics. only in NYC.
when I ultimately see these nothingburgers, I am being all empathetic and nice. I tease out that very often the PCPs have gaslit the patients into a frenzy in an attempt to 1) "get out of my office now. I have other patients i need to put until the 99213 mill" and 2) "i am too proud to say you are out of my league. so I am going to gaslight you into thinking it might be cancer"
another situation is a PCP has been following a patients subcentimeter nodule for 5 years now with annual CT scans (non smoker so Lung cancer screening does not apply). It is 0.8cm and not ground glass. has had consecutive annual CT scan for 5 years now. Fleischer has already said no need for surveillance a long time ago.
This year I am referred this patient. I discuss guidelines, review images, provide reassurance
but I tease out the issue was "the PCP was unable to get a prior auth and referred me here."
My staff looked into things and turns out the PCP was unable to get 71250 (CTC withotu contrast) approved because clinical notes sent foudn stable nodule since 5 years ago. This is correct. The PCP got approval for 71271 (which is low dose CT scanning for lungcancer screening) as that is an easy prior auth. Do the online survey and hit the right answers. But the radiology centers all ask patients their smoking history. This patient said "i dont smoke. " Radiology center rightfully said "nope wrong test you cannot do this then." This means the PCP tried to "backdoor a CT scan." So irresponsible of the PCP. I talk to the patient and ask if the PCP explained lung nodule guidelines? The patietn said PCP told him "it could be cancer and
I called the PCP and yelled at the PCP for this obvious irresponsible management and gaslighting of the patient. The PCP said "but it is 0.8cm and large!" This is a 75 year old PCP who is not maintaining IM boards (expired on checkabim.org) and is not grandfathered in. sad sad sad
The patient "trusts the experience of the elderly PCP."
I informed the patient you could see your PCP then.
Only this same PCP gaslights the patient to walk into my office to bother my front desk everyday for a prior auth for CT scan.
the general lesson for all patients should be "age and experience are overrated for non-procedural physicians. check board certification status instead."
seriously I am not kidding.
addendum: since I am on a rampage throwing shade at older PCPs who are "set in their ways," I have another anecdote from residency. I witnessed an older PCP (in his late 60s back then, I wonder if he is still alive now. quick google search - wow 45 years of experience! patients are impressed) pick up a phone call from his outpatient while rounding in teh hospital. Hello Mrs so and so. you have a cough? how long? 5 days? want me to prescribe a Z-pak for you? sure i'll send it once I get back to the office"
I am trying to view it from that older "experienced" PCPs perspective and realize that they simply "do not read MKSAP" like the current generation and feel no need to stay "up to date." Experience! lol. Good luck leveraging your experience on rendering that diagnosis of acute intermittent porphyria Dr house haha.
You dont really believe this is what PCPs tell these patientsOne internist is great. He sends me smokers with the referral reason for "evaluate COPD and lung cancer screening. I have done nothing so far."
My response: "thank you very much I promise to take good care of our mutual patients and manage all their pulmonary issues, tell them not to bother you about it, and send you all my notes."
The patients usually say "my PCP told me to come. I'm not sure why I feel normal."
that was a bit tongue in cheek in this exampleYou dont really believe this is what PCPs tell these patients
I am hospitalist and I am gonna go out on a limb to say no PCP will tell a patient to see a specialist w/o telling that patient why.
You gotta give your colleagues a little bit more credit than that.
Healthcare/medicine is very complex and most patients have ZERO understanding of what going on with them even if you explain things in layman terms. It's not the fault of neither the patients or the clinicians.
You dont really believe this is what PCPs tell these patients
I am hospitalist and I am gonna go out on a limb to say no PCP will tell a patient to see a specialist w/o telling that patient why.
You gotta give your colleagues a little bit more credit than that.
Healthcare/medicine is very complex and most patients have ZERO understanding of what going on with them even if you explain things in layman terms. It's not the fault of neither the patients or the clinicians.
This is what I am saying. You can explain things in layman terms to these patients, but they still won't get it. I have seen that so many times.We also get quite a few referral where the patients say “something wrong with my blood” thats why they are seeing a Hematologist, go figure…..
which is fine. the doctors job, our job, is to educate the patient.This is what I am saying. You can explain things in layman terms to these patients, but they still won't get it. I have seen that so many times.
This is what I am saying. You can explain things in layman terms to these patients, but they still won't get it. I have seen that so many times.
whenever i get a referral for "no reason" and "self referred" or "PCP did not refer me but my insurance does not need a a PCP referral," I just have my front desk schedule a full one hour visit assuming its complex. because my schedule is rather full, if this prospective patient balks at the wait time then that automatically has deterred a potential train wreck
if they did come, i have full one hour to try to do as good a job as possible
if they did not come, I use that no show time to manage my other patients and do a little telehealth to make up for things.
until i actually see a patient, no contract has been established and I am under no obligation to this prospective patient
but once I see the patient, this it is my patient and I am morally, medically, ethnically, legally obligated to all the whole distance of the field (another sports metaphor). for complex cases, it is best to start with a full one hour visit on day 1.
plus if this wait time for a 1 hour visit slot deters the patient, the burden lies on the patient for not wanting to wait and the patient has the freedom to go wherever the patient wants otherwise
alternatively, if I have a known legit for pulmonary only diagnosis (i.e. interstitial lung disease, bronchiectasis, pulmonary hypertension, severe COPD etc) being referred with proper workup, i'll usually just slot them into my lunch hour to see them out of benevolence to the patient and courtesy to the PCP. so this is not a situation of my cherry picking "easy patients."
Rather it is meant to avoid "unwelcome surprises" that it seems some patients enjoy to drop onto doctors.
i have found that by adhering to a schedule and then by scheduling "blank slate" patients with no referral reason (and hence may turn out to be a nothingburger with a side of psychosomatic fries and lots of Diet Cope ) for a full one hour visit (which usually with my schedule is not for 2-3 months) this deters many of these patients from coming. I am not a hospital clinic and am under no obligation to "see all comers no matter what."
Good points . But this only applies to employed physicians .The problem is that everyone is so demoralized by reimbursement, support by their masters, lack of autonomy. Nobody cares anymore, no one feels valued, no one takes pride in their work.
Honestly I can’t blame anyone. Literally no one gives two ****s but the patients and most of them are clueless…
Good points . But this only applies to employed physicians .
Purely private practice who still do full fee for service and eat what you hunt only have three explanations for suboptimal medical care that is not the full breadth of care
1) wanting to reduce time spent per patient to maximize revenue / effort ratio . I guess the best way to achieve this is to gaslight patients
2) being woefully out of date and not bothering to do something As simple as mksap for knowledge
3) just not caring anyone year later and wanting to go through the motions . I’d suggest going into administration and hiring other providers .
If 1,2,3 apply but said provider still wants the Money , then jeez …
Option 3 could be acceptable.. if the doc sees the "legit hard cases relevant to specialty" while the midlevels or other less experienced doctors see the more bread and butter.
But then the senior doc should be "driving the management" in the background and making sure the midlevels or junior doctors are doing guideline management
I see all three among the PP docs out there (especially the ones who own their own practices). In fact, I see option #3 a lot. The doc who founded the practice starts hating medicine and finds a way to gradually shift themselves out of day to day practice as much as possible…usually this involves hiring a ****load of staff and other providers under them in an exploitative manner, so that the fruit of their labor largely flows to the kingpin of the practice (while he/she in fact applies less and less day to day effort to everything). This usually makes the “kingpin doc” rich - but usually they also become lazy with regards to medicine. They generally make less and less effort to keep up with the literature and take care of their remaining patients properly.
I interviewed at a rheum job like this. Small multispecialty PP where the sole rheum doc in the practice was the highest biller by far. He had something like 8 staff working under him - an NP, several nurses, several other staff doing infusion auths etc - and despite all these staff he was clearing around $850k a year. I didn’t end up going there because rather than just front my starting salary through the practice (they had plenty of money to do this), the guy wanted me to sign a 4 year obligation with both the town and the local hospital where they would front my (mediocre starting) salary under the condition that if things didn’t work out at that PP, I was on the hook to practice in that town for 4 years (or I had to repay every dollar of salary given to me). No bueno, guys.
Option 3 docs tend to be greedy, if you haven’t noticed.
I’m considering an employment option like the one you mentioned and can’t tell if it’s a bad deal or not. The practice doesn’t seem predatory but my salary is going to be structured as a forgivable loan 2 year forgiveness. It’s in an area I definitely see myself in long term so it seems reasonable but the liability is scary….I’ve talked to one guy who did it and was happy though.
Don’t. I avoided several jobs like this while interviewing. They’re a ripoff. I’ve also had several jobs so far that were worse than advertised. You need to be able to leave a bad job and move on, without being stuck somewhere for years “paying them back”.
The problem is most jobs aren’t going to pay you to build a private practice. Obviously most employed jobs you’re building their practice, so making the move from employed to private seems like it would be difficult. Are you employed and are you trying to go private?
I work in a multispecialty PP that started me with a salary and then went to “eat what you kill”. They fronted my salary in the beginning. I can leave when and if I want to without paying anything back, but I’m very happy with my job at the moment. I’m referring to my last round of interviews about 2 years ago.
Large multispecialty PPs are where it’s at IMHO. They give you a fair amount of that PP “flavor” while having enough size and resources to grease the wheels and have all ancillaries. You get PP autonomy and can take leadership roles to have a say in how it’s run. Smaller PPs are not so good in comparison. They tend to not have enough resources to make things happen.
Are you a partner?
If so, what percent of the practice do you own? What was the structure of your ownership buy in?
What percent are ancillaries of your total pay?
1) yes
2) The way the current practice is set up, everyone has “titular shares”. The buy-in is $100. You start getting your ancillaries 6 months in. All of this is beneficial because I feel big buy ins are basically exploiting the newcomers. My previous job was at a PP that imploded shortly after I left; everyone’s “shares” became worthless and nobody was paid out (thankfully I hadn’t paid in by the time I left). Even if you own “shares” in their real estate or something, it’s usually not clear what the real value of those shares actually is.
3) about 1/3 of my pay is ancillaries
I see, that seems reasonable. Everyone gets equal shares of ancillaries? Proceduralists don’t get mad at that?
You get your own ancillaries (actually it’s more complicated than that, you get your own CMS ancillaries back but for private insurance patients, the ancillaries are pooled by department and split equally among the members of the department).
The facility fees (we have an ASC) are split evenly among all partners. As are annual CMS bonuses for hitting metrics. Last year, the bonus for facility fees + CMS metrics amounted to about $50-60k for all partners.
Trust me, the proceduralists make plenty of money. The rest of us do also. Average salary here among all partners last year was about $650k.
Man this sounds like a unicorn gig. Kudos to you for finding it
Man this sounds like a unicorn gig. Kudos to you for finding it
I actually knew of a clinic like this where I trained. Sold right as I started and probably 50% of the docs left immediately lol. Partners too, just didn’t want to be slaves.
If it sold again and it was obviously not going to be a desirable place to be in the future, I’d probably leave too. And then I’d dig around for another job like this. Because once you’ve been in a job like this, you’ll never work for a hospital system again.
What's the overhead % for the whole group? Is it the same as your individual overhead?1) yes
2) The way the current practice is set up, everyone has “titular shares”. The buy-in is $100. You start getting your ancillaries 6 months in. All of this is beneficial because I feel big buy ins are basically exploiting the newcomers. My previous job was at a PP that imploded shortly after I left; everyone’s “shares” became worthless and nobody was paid out (thankfully I hadn’t paid in by the time I left). Even if you own “shares” in their real estate or something, it’s usually not clear what the real value of those shares actually is.
3) about 1/3 of my pay is ancillaries
What's the overhead % for the whole group? Is it the same as your individual overhead?
My previous big multispecialty group (60 docs) had a shared overhead then a personal overhead. By the time I paid everything, it was about 55% which made it impossible to get a high take home income.
Dying breed though eh?
40% is legit. It's also amazing that you get a cut of the ASC profits. My previous group didn't have an ASC (only an endoscopy suite) and the non-GI guys did not see a dime of it.Mine is about 40% in total (my shared overhead is around 25-30% or so), which is part of why everyone is able to do as well as they do. Things are pretty lean and efficient.
I think a lot of this is the fact that we are in a LCOL area. We don’t have to pay out the ass for the buildings and labor costs are relatively low.
40% is legit. It's also amazing that you get a cut of the ASC profits. My previous group didn't have an ASC (only an endoscopy suite) and the non-GI guys did not see a dime of it.
How much are the purely clinical people making? Like the PCPs, endocrinologists, etc? They won't have infusions to add to their ancillaries.
im sure the renovated basement was paid for by ANA < 1:320I donno exactly, but by outward appearances everyone seems to be doing well. Several of our PCPs own some of the biggest and most expensive houses in town, for what that’s worth.
Oh wow I didnt know there was a CPT code for this.another annoyance in outpatinet medicine is how many primary providers (be it MD/DO, DNP, PA and whatever specialty) just do not bother to teach patient how to use an inhaler when prescribing it
A young person who youtube it and figure it out
An older person cannot.
Most patients I see for consultation are NOT using the inhalers (HFA, DPI, soft mist inhalers) properly.
It might be as simple as not holding the breath or not inhaling it into the lungs. It could be as silly as never opening the cap and claiming "it does not work."
there is a 94664 CPT billing code for this
One does not need a respiratory therapist to teach inhaler technique
"Doctor" means teacher.
I personally review inhaler technique myself with patients (because I need to know is it because the inhaler "really does not work" as the patient claims or if they just are not inhaling it. it is usuall the latter)
With all the samples and demo inhalers that community PCPs get, I don't understand why they cannot literally take 30 seconds to explain inhaler use and then bill 94664 for $15-$20.
I tried to show a few older internists but they claim "I don't haev time for this."
My internal thoughts are "***********er you think I have time for this ****? It's the right ****ing thing to do!"
right 94664 can be used to teach inhalers, nebulizers, how to use a portable oxygen concentrator etc...Oh wow I didnt know there was a CPT code for this.
Part of the issue I have had is that I work with dozens of insurance plans (and each of these can have different formularies within them based on the employer). As a result I almost never know which mother****ing inhaler will be on the damn formulary. I tell people to google a video of how to use it or have the pharmacist show them how when they get whichever one they actually end up with.
Brother, you ain't lyin. I always take the extra two minutes to go over inhaler technique at least once with a new patient and any time I change the type of inhaler. I see plenty of younger patients too and I tell them to pull it up on youtube as well because I think watching it when you're actually about to use the thing is far more valuable than me going over it in the office. I'd venture to say there's probably plenty of PCPs that have no clue how to use the inhaler themselves. I wonder if pharmacists ever go over it.another annoyance in outpatinet medicine is how many primary providers (be it MD/DO, DNP, PA and whatever specialty) just do not bother to teach patient how to use an inhaler when prescribing it
A young person who youtube it and figure it out
An older person cannot.
Most patients I see for consultation are NOT using the inhalers (HFA, DPI, soft mist inhalers) properly.
It might be as simple as not holding the breath or not inhaling it into the lungs. It could be as silly as never opening the cap and claiming "it does not work."
there is a 94664 CPT billing code for this
One does not need a respiratory therapist to teach inhaler technique
"Doctor" means teacher.
I personally review inhaler technique myself with patients (because I need to know is it because the inhaler "really does not work" as the patient claims or if they just are not inhaling it. it is usuall the latter)
With all the samples and demo inhalers that community PCPs get, I don't understand why they cannot literally take 30 seconds to explain inhaler use and then bill 94664 for $15-$20.
I tried to show a few older internists but they claim "I don't haev time for this."
My internal thoughts are "***********er you think I have time for this ****? It's the right ****ing thing to do!"
Is it common for PCPs to get part of their salary tied to patient satisfaction?I read some posts here about unclear/unnecessary PCP referrals from I guess specialists, here's a perspective from a PCP:
We get a lot of stuff to parse through. A LOT.
Our own labs/images
Incidental findings from other providers images/labs/etc that patients are just told to follow with their PCP
Patient's with a list of 10 things to go over in a 20 min encounter. and 2 more that they just remembered while you're walking out the door.
They think we're friends so they wanna tell me about their grandsons birthday for 10 minutes before we start.
6 month waitlist to get scheduled, leading to overflow of messages
messages from everything to "im having chest pain but im not going to ED what do i do?" to "whats this rash (pic)" to "im sick can you just call me in an antibiotic? i know my body, no visit needed"
patients that prefer to run everything through me first...others who prefer to discuss with specialists
I'm treated like a vending machine. I've had patients who asked me for:
Adderall just cause they feel fatigued
oxycodone for fibromyalgia/other poor indication
BDZ heavy dose for sleep every night indefinately
32 yr old healthy pt wanting disability for fatigue
increase ambien beyond recommended dose cause they feel effect is wearing off and they read online someone did it
GLP1 cause theyre BMI is 27 and they used to be so in shape with abs and wanna get back to it, and they can def do so at 77 as long as i Rx them GLP1
Some random medication cause they read on webMD that they have such and such and they wanna try the treatment with no workup cause its too expensive and i should be understanding of that.
I tell these patients NO. Explain explain, pushback, explain, no again. This leads to negative google reviews, decreased patient satisfaction scores, etc.
A certain percentage of what I get paid is based on patient satisfaction now. My contract says if my patient satisfaction falls too low they can fire me over this. I dont agree with this because Practicing medicine the right way = patients wont always get their way, but this is our current reality.
its a Consumer driven industry now... theyre entitled.
So......if a joint pain patient had a postivie ANA and family history and is worried and wants a Rheum referral?
Or if a patient has a lung nodule and is still worried after our discussion and wants to speak to a specialists about it??
Yeah... not gonna fight those battles on top of everything else.... Unless... you're willing to pay me the % of my salary that I'd miss due to poor patient satisfaction for doing the right thing????????
If the answer is NO maybe just STFU and take the referral and see what you think and help out with this one. Cause i already said no to 4 other clearly inappropriate requests for referrals to your highness this week already. Or dont take it and ill send referrals elsewhere including the ones that will lead to a procedure.
someone said they called and blasted a pcp over a referral like that. if i get a call like that from a specialist they are going to get it.
Yes. Its a Medicare quality metric so its becoming increasingly common to tie it into bonus structure.. Between this and just getting tired of fighting with patients, I will typically acquiesce to requests if a) doesn't involve chronic controlled meds, b) isn't fraud, or c) isn't going to hurt them.Is it common for PCPs to get part of their salary tied to patient satisfaction?
I assume you practice in a major metro area?
I read some posts here about unclear/unnecessary PCP referrals from I guess specialists, here's a perspective from a PCP:
We get a lot of stuff to parse through. A LOT.
Our own labs/images
Incidental findings from other providers images/labs/etc that patients are just told to follow with their PCP
Patient's with a list of 10 things to go over in a 20 min encounter. and 2 more that they just remembered while you're walking out the door.
They think we're friends so they wanna tell me about their grandsons birthday for 10 minutes before we start.
6 month waitlist to get scheduled, leading to overflow of messages
messages from everything to "im having chest pain but im not going to ED what do i do?" to "whats this rash (pic)" to "im sick can you just call me in an antibiotic? i know my body, no visit needed"
patients that prefer to run everything through me first...others who prefer to discuss with specialists
I'm treated like a vending machine. I've had patients who asked me for:
Adderall just cause they feel fatigued
oxycodone for fibromyalgia/other poor indication
BDZ heavy dose for sleep every night indefinately
32 yr old healthy pt wanting disability for fatigue
increase ambien beyond recommended dose cause they feel effect is wearing off and they read online someone did it
GLP1 cause theyre BMI is 27 and they used to be so in shape with abs and wanna get back to it, and they can def do so at 77 as long as i Rx them GLP1
Some random medication cause they read on webMD that they have such and such and they wanna try the treatment with no workup cause its too expensive and i should be understanding of that.
I tell these patients NO. Explain explain, pushback, explain, no again. This leads to negative google reviews, decreased patient satisfaction scores, etc.
A certain percentage of what I get paid is based on patient satisfaction now. My contract says if my patient satisfaction falls too low they can fire me over this. I dont agree with this because Practicing medicine the right way = patients wont always get their way, but this is our current reality.
its a Consumer driven industry now... theyre entitled.
So......if a joint pain patient had a postivie ANA and family history and is worried and wants a Rheum referral?
Or if a patient has a lung nodule and is still worried after our discussion and wants to speak to a specialists about it??
Yeah... not gonna fight those battles on top of everything else.... Unless... you're willing to pay me the % of my salary that I'd miss due to poor patient satisfaction for doing the right thing????????
If the answer is NO maybe just STFU and take the referral and see what you think and help out with this one. Cause i already said no to 4 other clearly inappropriate requests for referrals to your highness this week already. Or dont take it and ill send referrals elsewhere including the ones that will lead to a procedure.
someone said they called and blasted a pcp over a referral like that. if i get a call like that from a specialist they are going to get it.
I feel for you and I want to say pcp have a hard job .I read some posts here about unclear/unnecessary PCP referrals from I guess specialists, here's a perspective from a PCP:
We get a lot of stuff to parse through. A LOT.
Our own labs/images
Incidental findings from other providers images/labs/etc that patients are just told to follow with their PCP
Patient's with a list of 10 things to go over in a 20 min encounter. and 2 more that they just remembered while you're walking out the door.
They think we're friends so they wanna tell me about their grandsons birthday for 10 minutes before we start.
6 month waitlist to get scheduled, leading to overflow of messages
messages from everything to "im having chest pain but im not going to ED what do i do?" to "whats this rash (pic)" to "im sick can you just call me in an antibiotic? i know my body, no visit needed"
patients that prefer to run everything through me first...others who prefer to discuss with specialists
I'm treated like a vending machine. I've had patients who asked me for:
Adderall just cause they feel fatigued
oxycodone for fibromyalgia/other poor indication
BDZ heavy dose for sleep every night indefinately
32 yr old healthy pt wanting disability for fatigue
increase ambien beyond recommended dose cause they feel effect is wearing off and they read online someone did it
GLP1 cause theyre BMI is 27 and they used to be so in shape with abs and wanna get back to it, and they can def do so at 77 as long as i Rx them GLP1
Some random medication cause they read on webMD that they have such and such and they wanna try the treatment with no workup cause its too expensive and i should be understanding of that.
I tell these patients NO. Explain explain, pushback, explain, no again. This leads to negative google reviews, decreased patient satisfaction scores, etc.
A certain percentage of what I get paid is based on patient satisfaction now. My contract says if my patient satisfaction falls too low they can fire me over this. I dont agree with this because Practicing medicine the right way = patients wont always get their way, but this is our current reality.
its a Consumer driven industry now... theyre entitled.
So......if a joint pain patient had a postivie ANA and family history and is worried and wants a Rheum referral?
Or if a patient has a lung nodule and is still worried after our discussion and wants to speak to a specialists about it??
Yeah... not gonna fight those battles on top of everything else.... Unless... you're willing to pay me the % of my salary that I'd miss due to poor patient satisfaction for doing the right thing????????
If the answer is NO maybe just STFU and take the referral and see what you think and help out with this one. Cause i already said no to 4 other clearly inappropriate requests for referrals to your highness this week already. Or dont take it and ill send referrals elsewhere including the ones that will lead to a procedure.
someone said they called and blasted a pcp over a referral like that. if i get a call like that from a specialist they are going to get it.
I try my best to take consults as long as they're not egregious, but if I see “fatigue” or “hair loss” or “weight gain” then I refuse the consult. I’m the only one in town so if people want to drive 45-90 min away to argue with a rheumatologist about their symptoms of existence then so be it.This.
If you don’t want my consults by all means don’t take them. Someone will and there’s plenty of business I can direct somewhere else.
We all know some referrals are nonsense but that’s the nature of being a consultant. This isn’t new.
i have noticed that the private practice docs police their google reviews much much more than hospital employed. Usually hospitals collect their own satisfaction scores so there’s an outlet for patients to voice their dissatisfaction. However, some still go to Google to trash your name.I feel for you and I want to say pcp have a hard job .
But I do pcp also . Yes I have midlevels to help me filter the garbage and do the TLC . But when I see patients for pcp and they have vague nonspecific symptoms , I just “do the whole workup” no matter how tedious or annoying . All those headache patients (I hate neuro ) I’m doing as much neuro exam , headache diaries , and taking the extra step with doing funduscipic exam (the retinavue retinal photography is great ) and ocular sono (I have a linear probe so easy enough to measure ocular nerve diameter ) . Then I get the auth for MRI if “red flags “ . Then it’s mostly a migraine . Those who go to neurology come back confused and dazed . I end up having to use Nurtec or amovig or something myself and they get better !
Anyway community PCPs and community specialists around me leave much to be desired . The goal seems to be “cut corners take shortcuts to maximize the revenue / time spent ratio “ and assume “someone else will take care of it .”
My approach is then Buck stops here with me
Anyway I have been having more success with chronic cough (most of which gerd cough ) by a) doing a bronchoprovocation up front now b) and just doing the pcps job of going through the gerd diet / lifestyle in great detail with print outs , ordering them wedge pillows as dme , and instructing them that a PPI must taken daily and not PRN for the month or two , must be taken thirty minutes before a meal as proton pumps are maximally expressed while eating , (all “little things “ I’m sure no one told them before …)
Anyway back to inhalers , I have a lot of inhalers in my exam room . Some are demos , some are old samples , and others are ones I prescribed and picked with my personal insurance . For the demo inhalers with nothing in them I often just demostrate by putting it on my mouth .
The real med inhalers I often pantomime it
Then if I plan to prescribe something I have samples for (trelegy Breztri airsupra stiolto are the samples that I have now ) , I’ll have the RT open one up and go over it .
I was inspired to always do this in med school. On the family medicine rotation was an old school doctor who would always go over technique with his patients. One of the great “old school “ doctors whom did it all himself , took no shortcuts and , always had his patients first .
As for the consumer stuff and google reviews , I whole heartedly agree with that crud . As I am my own practice and boss , I have gone to town shredding the $hit out of some negative reviews who did so for the stupidest of reasons . My reviews are mostly 5s . A few are 1 because of some “I didn’t get pampered or spoiled by the doctor .” I go Kevin Durant with his burner accounts and mercilessly reply and rip into these patients (without revealing PHI of course ) . I’m not a ****ing restaurant with a thin profit margin and no manager is “apologizing to you and promising to make a better experience .”
I have also gone to colleagues google reviews in which colleagues replied firmly (but more courtesouly than I do ) to a bad review stating the real story and not the libel version . I comment “lol this patient got owned . What a nothingburger . Hey you want some Diet Cope also ? Lololol “
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.