Is path good for physically restricted people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RA resident

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got RA in med school and I am OK 95% of the time, but every so often the stress / sleep deprivation puts me in a flare. Let's say 1% of the time it's hard for me to even dress myself. Hasn't been a big deal through MS3, but I haven't done a lot of procedures.

I did a two week pathology rotation and I could definitely see myself doing it long term. The physical part seemed limited to grossing and autopsies. I could get it done even in a flare, I would just be slower and it wouldn't be as pretty.

What do you guys think about this? Can you think of any physical aspects that I haven't thought of? Do you know any pathologist w physical limitations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got RA in med school and I am OK 95% of the time, but every so often the stress / sleep deprivation puts me in a flare. Let's say 1% of the time it's hard for me to even dress myself. Hasn't been a big deal through MS3, but I haven't done a lot of procedures.

I did a two week pathology rotation and I could definitely see myself doing it long term. The physical part seemed limited to grossing and autopsies. I could get it done even in a flare, I would just be slower and it wouldn't be as pretty.

What do you guys think about this? Can you think of any physical aspects that I haven't thought of? Do you know any pathologist w physical limitations?

Thanks!

I think pathology would work well for you. As long as you got good eyes and at least 1 arm, path is great. Outside of residency, depending on the job you get, you may only gross a few times a month to none at all. Many busters on this forum will tell you path is doomed and don't do it. I love my job and it wasn't too difficult to obtain a job (as long as you are not geographically restricted). Being able to roll in anywhere from 8-10 am, grab some coffee, get your cases, turn on some good music and then sign out in your office is a unique aspect to path compared to other areas of medicine. If you are concerned about the physical aspects of medicine (mainly after residency), pathology and radiology (non-interventional) are pretty good choices.

Reactions: 1 user
With RA, you have an increased risk for blood clots. I have seen many pathologists, including myself, get DVT and pulmonary emboli. There are major health risks with sitting on your butt all day pushing glass. If you do go into the field, buy a standing desk immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think pathology would work well for you. As long as you got good eyes and at least 1 arm, path is great. Outside of residency, depending on the job you get, you may only gross a few times a month to none at all. Many busters on this forum will tell you path is doomed and don't do it. I love my job and it wasn't too difficult to obtain a job (as long as you are not geographically restricted). Being able to roll in anywhere from 8-10 am, grab some coffee, get your cases, turn on some good music and then sign out in your office is a unique aspect to path compared to other areas of medicine. If you are concerned about the physical aspects of medicine (mainly after residency), pathology and radiology (non-interventional) are pretty good choices.

that sounds pretty great! thanks for the response.
I would be a little geographically restricted as there would need to be a job for my significant other, but I would rather have to wait for a job that I can do well as opposed to instantly getting a job where I might not be able to perform as well as everyone else

With RA, you have an increased risk for blood clots. I have seen many pathologists, including myself, get DVT and pulmonary emboli. There are major health risks with sitting on your butt all day pushing glass. If you do go into the field, buy a standing desk immediately.

that's really good to know, thanks.

I agree, a standing desk is important. Mine arrives in 4 weeks, I am pumped for it.

that sounds pretty great! thanks for the response.
I would be a little geographically restricted as there would need to be a job for my significant other, but I would rather have to wait for a job that I can do well as opposed to instantly getting a job where I might not be able to perform as well as everyone else

Please don't let anyone tell you this is not a MAJOR problem. It is. If you love path and can't see yourself doing anything else that's fine but you need total and complete geographic flexibility for your job search.

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that things have been difficult for you, but I'm glad that you seem to be getting on. Two of my favorite pathologists around the country have been in wheelchairs from a young age. All you need is a great pair of eyes and the capacity to learn!

I am a pathologist, and I have RA. Are you on biologics? You have to be very vigilant with PPE during interactions with fresh tissue. I am concerned of being exposed to fungal organisms and TB during pulmonary procedures, frozens and autopsies where no one clinically suspects that there is an infection. Also if you work in a hospital, the secret no one tells you is that when you are covering frozen sections or procedures, you have to work on surgeon time. So if getting up early is hard for you (pain, stiffness, or causes flares), those on-call weeks can be much harder on you than your peers. I also have had issues with DVTs in the past - so the standing desk is a good idea if your feet can tolerate it. Pain and swelling in your fingers can cause problems with typing. There is a fair amount of typing in this job especially if you work with residents and your reports need alot of editing. I wear neoprene gloves to try to keep the joints warmed up and ease pain and stiffness in the fingers.

No matter what residency you match into - remember that there are provisions in the Americans with Disabilities Act that require large employers not to discriminate in hiring practices and to provide you with reasonable accommodations you need to perform your job. If you find that you need an altered schedule, or a chair provided while performing tasks, or something else, your doctor can help you with documentation that will likely be required for these requests. However, be advised that this does not necessarily apply to entities with less than 15 employees (ie - most private practice groups) when you are looking for jobs following residency.

Detailed info about reasonable accommodations.

https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html#requesting