Is Peds a viable field in the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Putkernerinthehall

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's on the low end of the pay scale among specialties, but is General Pediatrics viable long-term?

How much of a threat are mid-levels? I mean are General Pediatricians (MD) going to be employable long-term ?

Appreciate some feedback from those in the field today.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's on the low end of the pay scale among specialties, but is General Pediatrics viable long-term?

How much of a threat are mid-levels? I mean are General Pediatricians (MD) going to be employable long-term ?

Appreciate some feedback from those in the field today.
Yes, gen peds is fine. APPs are taking a number of spots, but there are still way more kids who need a PCP than available pediatricians. Especially if you're willing to live somewhat outside of major population centers.

Some of the more niche subspecialties which only exist in major academic centers, the job market is more difficult and you'll probably need to do some amount of academic work to justify your position beyond just taking care of patients.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, gen peds is fine. APPs are taking a number of spots, but there are still way more kids who need a PCP than available pediatricians. Especially if you're willing to live somewhat outside of major population centers.

Some of the more niche subspecialties which only exist in major academic centers, the job market is more difficult and you'll probably need to do some amount of academic work to justify your position beyond just taking care of patients.
Thanks for the insight. Is mid-level encroachment a concern in the pediatric subspecialties to any degree? Thinking specifically cards and heme/onc, but also PICU / NICU.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight. Is mid-level encroachment a concern in the pediatric subspecialties to any degree? Thinking specifically cards and heme/onc, but also PICU / NICU.
I can only speak to my own specialty which is Heme/onc, but in heme/onc I do think APPs are largely able to supervise the majority of outpatient chemo appointments. You need an attending to drive the overall care for these patients, but on a day-to-day basis an APP is largely sufficient. This is a problem given the overexpansion of some of our fellowship programs, and currently you can either expect to pay for 30-80% of your time doing something academic (research or education) or truly be a workhorse clinically (ie hospitalist).

I am on the surgical side of things in a children’s hospital but there is a thriving community of pediatricians here. Also our medical fellows in GI and hepatology felt great jobs and have many options when looking it seems. Definitely go for it if peds is your passion!

Reactions: 2 users
It’s funny. Lots of midlevels have no problem treating geriatrics who are incredibly complicated with multi-system organ problems, drug interactions, risk factors, etc but are terrified of any peds who generally require little (if anything). Pediatricians aren’t going anywhere. Parents are nuts and always want the best for their kids which will be a physician.

Reactions: 7 users
I have a family member that works for a childerens clinic, they do have an np there. Childerens underpays and treats nps like crap, so I doubt many will work there.
I don't think it is especially helpful to generalize that pediatrics "treats NPs like crap" based on your one family member's experience at a single clinic.

Reactions: 4 users
I meant childerens hospital treats their nps like crap at the clinics. Idk about other clinics but childerens hospital seems to pay almost everybody low
It is well known that pediatrics pays below the rate of adult medicine... it doesn't mean we "treat people like crap," it is the economic reality of the specialty.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
It is well known that pediatrics pays below the rate of adult medicine... it doesn't mean we "treat people like crap," it is the economic reality of the specialty.
That's fair. To be honest I think I'm going to delete those posts. I think for economic reasons nps will not saturate peds though.

Personally, I’ve never seen an NP do a job other than 1) something that a resident could/should be doing but there aren’t enough residents or the residents don’t want to do it or 2) work in a low acuity protocol-driven setting that nobody wants to do (ie medication checks and physicals).

I suppose if there was an MD willing to do the jobs at the same pay, the hospital would preferably hirer them, but no one actually wants to do those jobs for that pay… so there it is. These are what you call market forces.