Is peds residency worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamwiseGamgee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think peds residency is worth it? I am very conflicted and go back and forth.
I love working with kids and don’t see myself working with adults. I currently work at a denti-cal pediatric office and make over $200k working 4 days a week. I’m happy with my job, but I worry about the long term, if my job is too niche. I would also love to be able to do sedation, but I want to continue working with the low income population as I find it more rewarding. This population tends to not want sedation and also can’t afford the extra fees denti-cal offices add since the reimbursement from denti-cal is so low for sedation.

So is going to peds residency worth it in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not in your case with the experience you already have.

Reactions: 1 user
You are asking the wrong forum. Most are pre-dent here or are dental students with limited perspective.

Speaking of limited perspective, if I was making 200k a year working 4 days a week I'd be spending less time on a dental forum and more time smiling

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Peds will be worth it as long as medicaid continues to pay for peds dentistry, which it most likely will. The fees are not terrible and in a Peds world where volume rules, it is a way to make some money. Sure, it's not a boutique practice, but those kids will not have the rampant caries you see in a Medicaid office, so they are more dependent on recall and hygiene. If you like doing the five main procedures, and don't mind the child/parent patient management, peds is a good bet.

Reactions: 1 user