Is pharmacy for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recalledz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading all these comments I am very unsure about my decision of getting into pharma next year... I just got my BS. Right now all I know is I don't want anything like my current job (I work at a grill). Dealing with uncooperative people , stressful environment while doing work of 5 persons, no breaks and lunch time, and no flexibility, little sense of accomplishment. This is exactly what I have to deal with and im not happy with it. I always thought pharma was supposed to be the lesser stressful counterpart to an MD career in high paying health sciences. Is this what I am to expect after 4 year more of study with debts? I want money but I don't want to have the work suck the life out of me. I want to travel, build a better physique, get better at singing and guitar, and many more things. Is pharmacy really for me?

Members don't see this ad.

After reading all these comments I am very unsure about my decision of getting into pharma next year... I just got my BS. Right now all I know is I don't want anything like my current job (I work at a grill). Dealing with uncooperative people , stressful environment while doing work of 5 persons, no breaks and lunch time, and no flexibility, little sense of accomplishment. This is exactly what I have to deal with and im not happy with it. I always thought pharma was supposed to be the lesser stressful counterpart to an MD career in high paying health sciences. Is this what I am to expect after 4 year more of study with debts? I want money but I don't want to have the work suck the life out of me. I want to travel, build a better physique, get better at singing and guitar, and many more things. Is pharmacy really for me?

you should read more about pharmacy field prospects and such. it is ok to go into a field for financial again, very acceptable to do that but you should still have some interest in the field because it will be with you until you retire.

Have you tried working in pharmacy big chain as a tech and experience the field? if not, depending on your GPA, there are more possibilities outside the box if you choose to look.

Reactions: 1 user
"uncooperative people , stressful environment while doing work of 5 persons, no breaks and lunch time"

This can all happen in retail pharmacy, depending on the store where you work. I'd really suggest getting a job at a pharmacy to see what it's like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having worked at a grill, you seem to have experienced firsthand of working in the service industry. You will probably experience something very similar if you go into retail pharmacy where most of the pharmacist jobs are.

Thanks for the responses. No I haven't done any shadowing because I have been busy with investigation/grill job, because I need the income. Since I finished my BS I have some time to do it but even if I do not find Pharma retail good for me I really don't know where else to go at this point. I was reading about nuclear pharmacists and it seems really interesting. I don't want to give up on gong to pharma because I have been set to do this since I entered college, and all my coursework was geared towards getting the pre-requisites to get into pharmacy school.
I was also inclined to go for PA but here in my country PAs cannot operate so I would need to go to the US to shadow one (I have a contact in Florida) and time is running out... also im not really sure if being in a hospital is really for me, or if this profession is any better than pharma retail in terms of stress/work life balance.

anything in today's society paying 6 figures will be very demanding. Maybe you should talk to a caring pharmacist and really ask for his/her opinion.

in terms of working out, in the future, you can always "coolsculpt".